HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #21
Frank Bennett

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Don't trust Flo.

I realize that auto and homeowners insurance can be very different, even within the same company, but I had and still have an ongoing horror story with Nationwide. My house burnt down two years ago, they were forced to honor the building side of the claim, but on the contents side, they have been unreasonable and unprofessional as they could possibly be. I had to hire a lawyer at my own expense to try to get my contents list properly paid for, and the case is still in litigation, even though I moved into the reconstructed house in early January! Nationwide is clearly not on your side!

I've been told that Chubb is an excellent company that honors their claims properly and with dignity and compassion. They are a little more expensive than the other losers who spend millions on advertising and don't want to honor their claims, but it's worth it, trust me.
Frank Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #22
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 194 Times in 77 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
x2 on State Farm.

There rates are reasonable. I had a car stolen, and they handled it extremely well. They paid off the car the next day, and cut me a check for the balance a few days later. Set me up with a rental car, and my rates never went up. I was worried about the book value being less than what I owed, but I ended up with $2k in my pocket (this was 1993).
x3 on State Farm.

I also had an experience with them to make me glad they've been my chosen insurance company (especially where vehicles & trailers are concerned), since April '83! I was at a drag race at Bandimere Speedway, and in the afternoon the got a hellacious wind storm with winds speeds around 100mph. Since the pit area I was on (at that time) was gravel it became a nightmare not only for me but for the young lady who worked the ticket booth....the rock pebbles shattered the glass around her pit booth and sprayed her with it. Where I was concerned the rock pebbles shattered my rear window of my Z24, and severely chipped my other glass (anyone who has ever wondered why the right rear tail-light of my car has what looks like a bullet hole in it, it's from that windstorm). Furthermore, in my haste to save the rest of my cars glass from caving in like my rear window I drove near the fence (so as to get out of the way of the lifted up rock pebbles). In so doing I exposed my toolbox to some bastards who took that opportunity to steal my tool box, and the majority of the tools I bought from a tech school I attended 15yrs earlier (the tool box and the tools inside it were all ingraved with the number #221, which was the number on my '76 Chevy Vega when I won the Memorial Day High School Dragfest...also at Bandimere's). State Farm not only replaced all of the broken glass, but they replaced nearly all of my tools (at least all that I recalled at claim time were in the box when it was stolen...oh how I'd love to be in a boxing ring with the guy who stole them, I'd do my best to let him know how thankful I am for his actions)!!!!

Go with the State...State Farm!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Back in the early 1980's I had a couple of fellows break into my garage and steal a bunch of tools and parts. I had State Farm Ins at the time. While they did me very well on some of the race/HP parts I was appalled about the tools. I had nearly all Craftsman that were handed down from my Grandfather or purchased by me when I worked for Sears in High School. They depreciated my tools! Craftsman! Lifetime warranty! Breakage guarantee! I argued till I was blue in the face, but I came out so good on the parts, I came out about even with what I had spent. It did not replace the sentiment from my Grandfathers or make up for my employee discount when I purchased ones while at Sears. I ended up with much less than I had when replacing my loss.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Unhappy Re: Don't trust Flo.

I'm sorry to now know that Steve (my tools were just that, thus not with the significance of yours), but I probably would feel worse if I had one of those cut-rate insurance companies insuring my car, etc.all...
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 10-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Gary,

I find their inconsistancy interesting as I liked the company. While my agent was the best, he could not help me on this particular issue as he had done on others. As I mentioned before he retired and I got a worse agent which caused me to switch.
My brother now works for State Farm Corperate and I have learned that they had tried to get away from the "agent" mentality to compete with the on-line fad of ins. We think that the agents had "lost" some control in the way the individual claim was handled, but things might be swinging back. I have now shopped another agent in case my current one "slips" and I will return to State Farm.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneFE View Post
Gary,

I find their inconsistancy interesting as I liked the company. While my agent was the best, he could not help me on this particular issue as he had done on others. As I mentioned before he retired and I got a worse agent which caused me to switch.
My brother now works for State Farm Corperate and I have learned that they had tried to get away from the "agent" mentality to compete with the on-line fad of ins. We think that the agents had "lost" some control in the way the individual claim was handled, but things might be swinging back. I have now shopped another agent in case my current one "slips" and I will return to State Farm.
Good luck with that, and I'm glad you're back with SF.!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)