HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #31
astikhossw

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Boss Mustang stocker

The heads in the picture are ford DOEA-N heads not edelbrock the casting number is on the head plus it has a Cleveland combustion chamber the edelbrock doesn't .
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #32
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astikhossw View Post
The heads in the picture are ford DOEA-N heads not edelbrock the casting number is on the head plus it has a Cleveland combustion chamber the edelbrock doesn't .
correct, that's exactly what they are... cast iron and for the others that are dying to know...they are well within the rules, they hold the proper volumes...no grinding, porting, acid, bead blasting, epoxy or any of that other cheating BS... they have 16 seats installed and a proper valve job on good ole ford cast iron.

I been working this style head over for 40 years...this is the best set ever

Edit...I posted last year in one of the threads where I got beat up that it is easy to get these to go 325+ at .500 with the right "stuff"....you all can do the math but this set blows those away....since the cats out of the bag, I mine as well turn this into an educational thread...stay tuned..LOL

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 11-12-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #33
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
Thanks. That's the area that caught my eye. Are the fenders still removable?

Dale
yes, I will try to find a pic to show you what we did on the past on the faster cars, but now that it is legal for stock....its all good
Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #34
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

For anyone really interested in seeing what a good job Bill has done on these heads, here is a link to specs on MustangTek with rusty photos.

http://mustangtek.com/heads/D0AE-N.html

EDIT: Re your edit: I don't think anyone on this particular thread has anything other than positive interest in your build. We (at least me) are curious because we all like good stuff.

Dale

Last edited by FireSale; 11-12-2015 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Ain't dissn nobody...
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #35
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
For anyone really interested in seeing what a good job Bill has done on these heads, here is a link to specs on MustangTek with rusty photos.

http://mustangtek.com/heads/D0AE-N.html

EDIT: Re your edit: I don't think anyone on this particular thread has anything other than positive interest in your build. We (at least me) are curious because we all like good stuff.

Dale
Its all good Dale...stay tuned
Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #36
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
I think wer'e looking at a BOSS 351 '71 Mustang. Those might be Edelbrock heads part number 61607. They are listed as legal for both Stock and SS. They ship as bare heads and the buyer has to have all the machining done. That seems to be the case here.

Dale
Not quite. The 61607 isn't legal for stock on the Boss. It is on the 240hp (what I'm running) the 280hp & the 285hp. The 71 Boss is rated @ 355hp with the iron head. In SS the iron head is @ 330 and the Edelbrock is @ 340.

In this thread there is an Aluminum head pictured (with the recess around the crossover) and those real nice looking D0AE-N's.

And yes, I'm nothing but supportive of seeing another 71 Boss hit the track. If I had more resources, I'd have the 71 285hp in my Cougar which the Boss wasn't available in.

Looking forward to more post's on this build.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #37
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noll View Post
Not quite. The 61607 isn't legal for stock on the Boss. It is on the 240hp (what I'm running) the 280hp & the 285hp. The 71 Boss is rated @ 355hp with the iron head. In SS the iron head is @ 330 and the Edelbrock is @ 340.

In this thread there is an Aluminum head pictured (with the recess around the crossover) and those real nice looking D0AE-N's.

And yes, I'm nothing but supportive of seeing another 71 Boss hit the track. If I had more resources, I'd have the 71 285hp in my Cougar which the Boss wasn't available in.

Looking forward to more post's on this build.
Dave, that pic I posted with the recess around the crossover is my cast iron DOAE_N heads..... this should clear things up.....the 61607 eddy head does not have a crossover

Last edited by Bill Diehl; 11-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Bill Diehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #38
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Whoops, sorry about that, . With the shiny from that fresh mill cut across that face, I mistook it for aluminum. My bad.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #39
Bill Diehl

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I am waiting for the strut rod crossmember to show up,so I can start putting the front end back together but.... before I open the next can of worms.....I have seen these on plenty of cars but I can't find the word roller bearing in the rule book under front suspension anywhere...maybe somebody with better reading skills can help me out
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #40
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

The opentracker roller upper and lower control arms are legal, as is the roller spring perch. I had the whole mess on my '71, including the double-roller spring perches (expensive) and you will be absolutely astonished at how freely the front end moves. The alignment guy loved it too. Don't forget to notch the upper frame rail where the upper arm hits to get a bit more suspension travel on launch. You will need to lower the upper shock mount at the same time to keep the shocks from bottoming out. It will be easier to find shocks if you use the earlier "T" upper mount instead of the single stud version that came on the '71. Get the best double adjustable shocks you can. I used the Calvert shocks and they are awesome for launch, but are way under-damped when landing after a wheelstand and the car bounces way too much. What is NOT legal are modified strut rods, like the Calvert with the spherical bearing. They are OK in SS but not in stock. The stock strut rods work just fine. Poly bushings make it stiffer but perhaps a little more stable on the top end. I would just use new rubber bushings if it were me.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote