HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Trend in IHRA Stock Elim?

Take it easy on me guys...for over analyzing the OBVIOUS..haven't been to a drag race all year...been busy on the homefront!

What makes the Crate Motor Classes so enticing? Seen an increase of them on here...
softer indexes and easier to "build" than a "traditional" Stock Eliminator car? Faster too...for those with a "need for speed?"

And with the way the economy is right now...why not more Pure Stock entries? Certainly easier on the wallet...and a way to get into the program without stretching the budget....maybe too slow...and boring for some individuals?

If the above has been discussed before...my apologies...(I don't get on here that often!)
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,692 Times in 515 Posts
Default Re: Trend in IHRA Stock Elim?

If I were building a stocker I would build a traditional type stocker engine that I could run at both IHRA and NHRA.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I'm with Mike. Why would anybody paint themselves into a corner building a car that can only run with one group? IHRA may not be around for ever. I hope they are, but who knows?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Post Re: Trend in IHRA Stock Elim?

Techs Terry Bell and Mike Baker came up with CM classes for IHRA about 15 years ago and that saved the Stock class in IHRA. They may be somewhat easier to build since they offer easier to find parts, like Holley carbs and unaltered aftermarket intakes. More people know about Holley's than other brands. It also offers a lot of unique combinations using the factory available engine combos. But they still have to follow the blueprint rules. They have their own classes and don't run heads-up with the conventional Stockers. Their under-the-index capabilities are similar to NHRA cars as can be seen at some of the bigger events, but they can get as expensive as the faster NHRA cars as well.

Unfortunately, not as many NHRA legal cars show up at IHRA events even if there are many in the general area, so CM cars tend to be the majority. But new ones pop up from time-to-time.

My main reason for joining was the Holley carb, as I don't know anything about Carter carbs so no NHRA legal combo. IHRA racing overhead tends to be less expensive and events are shorter too.

Pure Stock has a lot of potential. But teardown can be even more complicated and detailed than "regular" Stock. Personally, it's more fun to go faster with the CM option.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Kegracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Myron makes a lot of good and accurate points (like usual).

One big variable is where you live. When I lived in NC, there were plenty of IHRA tracks and races, and you could do a full season with just IHRA. Easy to run some Div. 1 and 2, along with Div. 9 races, without living on the road. Crate motor or even the Stock GT stuff was a good option. Much easier to find a body you want to race, than finding all the numbers matching stuff for a NHRA legal stocker. My 67 Firebird is a good example of that. 1967 was a one year only for heads and intake on the 400 - parts are not cheap and not easy to find. But I could put a crate motor together and go racing. Might not qualify at the top, but could race for cheap (is there such a thing???). Same with finding a complete stocker motor and putting a GT combo together.

Now that I live in TX, my crate motor has really limited my racing. Fewer IHRA tracks and much more traveling to be able to claim enough races to worry about points. Can still bracket race the crate motor without as much worry as most stocker motors, but limited tracks and much more travel out here just to hit in Div. 4 races.

All depends on what you want to do, where you are, and how much you can afford to spend! You can go faster, easier, most of the time with crate motors, especially in bodies that did not offer a "fast" motor, if that is what you want to do. Vega's for example, and every OEM has some light bodies out there for the picking.

Good luck.

Ken
Kegracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Dave1695

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I would say Myron is spot on with his analagy; when I looked at Crate Motor Stock about ten years ago, it appeared to be the least expensive way to get back into class racing, (on paper anyway). I don't think that was the case, but because finding correct parts even for an old small block Chevy engine is getting tough and expensive, I chose to go that route and do not regret the decision. It was a great idea for some but not all, and I'm glad Terry Bell and IHRA came up with a new spin on Stock Eliminator. As long as there are blue print specs for the engine used, the class is pretty easy to police. With the introduction of all the Factory Muscle Cars in the class, Stock Eliminator isn't what it once was and never will be again, so change is necessary, and good whether we like it or not. Just my two cents.
Dave1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I had thought about the CM classes at first.
Then I looked at Pure Stock and went that route.

As posted above, the CM entries are easier to find parts for and tend to have more modern internals. ( i.e. roller cams, rockers, modern aluminum heads.)
I can see how this is much more attractive to racers getting started.
Also as posted above, some of those CM entries are as expensive as conventional Stockers.

I am currently looking into updating my PS to NHRA Stock so I can run the combo classes around here.
The tracks with combo races around here are not IHRA friendly...
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
dragracer502

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

In this part of the world (Southern Ontario / Western New York) , it comes down to $. There is an outstanding Combo series up here. The Can-Am Stock Super Stock series offers 12 dates, with the longest tow to 3 different tracks hosting being 2 1/2 hours. I run a 3rd Gen Camaro in G/CM, best so far is a 10.95 @ 120 and from the time the car rolled in the shop to start the build, untill it was racing I have less than $20k invested. To try and run that car as a "traditional" stocker, with that performance, with that amount invested ...... anyone being honest knows it is not possible. So the short of it is......you do your research, you make your choice, the other guy does the same, and we should all be happy when another stocker gets built.
dragracer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I guess that explains what's going on...thanks guys!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

How many people can chase around the country today, not to many,,
If your going to race close to home where it's IHRA & NHRA
The Crate Motor is the only way to go,
It's the only way a young racer can race now day's...
They can't spend $ 35,000 Plus on a stocker.
Look around at the races How many young people do you see ?
NHRA may end up with Crate Motor's,,
Parts are harder and harder to find for the BB & SB
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote