HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 PM   #21
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts
Default Re: 78-82 Malibu wagon for stock

Jackie ---thanx for the advice I am not dead set on doing this car ---Might decide to sell it, otherwise will make a neat hopped up driver--- Just an idea I had---Really looking to do something competitive that is fun and will not cost me an arm and a leg---Used to runing Comp where it is no holds barred and you run 5-7 tenths under the index--Won Indy in 92, set the records in class several times, always a consistent top 10 qualifier,-Stock is /could be more relaxing for me now---Will definately miss Comp but the cost is too much !!!!!! Stock seems to be the way to go for me now---Loud engines, reasonably fast acceleration you get the idea----Enjoy puttzing around under the hood in the garage, drinking a beer or 2 just getting out of the house--Love my wife, but she never has really been into it!!!! She is a sweetheart and goes along with whatever to keep me happy gotta love her for that!!!! -- 40 years marriage worth of it !!!!!---But we are getting older now and being realistic just wanna have some affordable fun---Otherwise WE"RE gonna buy a boat and I really do not want to do that either!!! Understand where I'm coming from????
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #22
Jackie McCracken

FED,

I was trying to save you some money! I know exactly where you are coming from, I have intimate knowledge of Competition Eliminator and I am pretty well versed in Stock and Super Stock as well. We've got a couple of pretty hard charging 305 Malibu's down here in D4 in the likes of Billy Lynn and Dean Oliver so I know what those cars are capable of in Stock and I've seen the 350 combo in quite a few other cars. Neither engine would be an easy combo to run with as they have been flogged pretty good over the years. If you decide to go boating let me know, I'd be interested in your wagon. Aren't you from the Barberton Oh area? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Jackie McCracken
Old 10-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #23
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Exclamation Re: 78-82 Malibu wagon for stock

As an owner/driver of this combo, I would advise you to talk to somebody who owns/drives one for some insight.

Don't let the Indy qualifying sheets fool you. Those "FAST" motors don't usually make it through teardown.

Dean Feiock
81 Malibu
S 5002
SS 5102
Dean Feiock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #24
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

FED - IMHO the '79-'82 combo is in line with your thinking. I know both of the Div 4 '79 cars well and what you are after is possible with that combo. On the other hand, do not over look the $$ factor of buying a used car with good parts and a lot of work already done.

Dwight Southerland
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Dwight, Rocketblock and others that replied to my question---Thanks for your honest responses- It has given me insight as to which way to go with this propram---For the time being the wagon is going to sit in the back of the garage and I'm going to think very seriously if I want to go thru "all the work" that will be necessary to convert it or just go off in another direction and buy a car already done up and work on making "that" car a better car than it already may be---Hope to put a face with all of your names and meet you some day at the track til then thanx again for your replies and have a safe off season with your families---Dick Ullrich Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:35 AM   #26
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The person that e-mailed me on the subject. Please try again. I accidently deleted your email. Thanks,
Jeff Lee
JeffLeeAzRealty@Qwest.net
or, 602-418-9797
Old 10-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #27
Jackie McCracken

Wink Re: 78-82 Malibu wagon for stock

Dick,

I was pulling your leg and I hope it didn't discourage you. It was for purely selfish reasons in that I would like to find a "find" like you got. In my opinion the G body cars are going to be the next "57 Chevy" for whole lot of reasons, they are exceptionally good looking, they are very light considering their size, they have a full frame, and for the most part it is easy to find parts for. I realize that you being a former Comp racer that you are very well aware of the cost of racing. Building the car and sorting it out is about 80% of the fun, at least from my perspective.

And, if you decide to beat yourself up by getting back into the sport we'd like to see you come down and race with us here in D4. Good luck with whatever project you decide to do and hope to see you racing!

Jackie McCracken

PS, anybody reading this, I would be interested in a wagon body as long as it is relative ding free and with NO RUST that is located in the north Texas or southern Oklahoma area. The rest of the car is not important, I am looking for a clean straight body to put my parts into. The only other requirement is that it has to be cheap. contact me at jackie.mccracken@@- jacktel.com, take out the extra @, dash, and space and the email will work.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #28
stocker4046

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We sill have a couple of Malibu wagons running in M/N/O/Stock. Have ran 79 with 350 motor in I/SA but NHRA put too much HP on motor and couldn't keep up with the 85/86 305 powered cars (11.70's vs 11.40's). We currently run 305's in 79 wagon (M/N) and 80-83 wagon (M/N/O) both dish motors with different cams and head numbers. The 83 big cam, flat top, 305 motor just got hit due to two wagons (Shaw and Downing) running in K & M/stock. Several 80-83 wagon's around the country run very fast with the small cam, dish motor. One guy is transfering his national record holding 81 Malibu coupe drivetrain into a wagon. If you want a good clean 79 body/running wagon one is for sale in Florida that ran H/SA with the 305 (they switched to a vette). Also the Olds and Pontiac wagon run the same 305's.
stocker4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #29
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

Mr Feiock you can go F yourself. Only 18 grams but wait I never see you come to INDY or Gatornationals where teardowns are a part of the race. That's ok I will race you anytime you come around I'am not afraid of HP gains to prove a point. Remember you started this with the indy jab

Charley Downing 3548 J/SA-O/SA

Last edited by Charley Downing; 11-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
robbie2446

come on cheatin chuck let it go the suspension is half way over. concentrate on the corv. put a stick in it i dare ya. you no i had to post you wont answer the phone.
ROB