HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Steve OB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Steve OB
Default AMC Classification

My nephew has a 1980 AMC Spirit that he is looking into maybe getting into Stock eliminator. The car is a complete running car & would just need a motor change & some other minor mods. to be a Stocker. I pretty much know where he can go with a conventional Stocker but was wondering some G/T combinations. I'm not real sure how to classify the car for G/T & could use some input on weather or not it is a worth while combo.

Thanks, Steve Obertanec
Steve OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
David Lee
VIP Member

Liked 246 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: AMC Classification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve OB View Post
My nephew has a 1980 AMC Spirit that he is looking into maybe getting into Stock eliminator. The car is a complete running car & would just need a motor change & some other minor mods. to be a Stocker. I pretty much know where he can go with a conventional Stocker but was wondering some G/T combinations. I'm not real sure how to classify the car for G/T & could use some input on weather or not it is a worth while combo.

Thanks, Steve Obertanec
Have you checked the class guides. They do not list 1980 as a year. They do list 79, so if the body is the same you can call it a 79. Talk to Jeff Lee about the AMC engines. He is the only one I know that runs one
David Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Steve OB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks dave, I do know there is no 1980 in the NHRA which made me wonder about IHRA & the use of it in G/T. Are the guides exactly the same for both sanctioning bodies? I was hoping for Jeff & Ed to chime in without E-Mailing them separate. There arent too many AMC guys so 4 or 5 E-Mails would have done it LOL
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts

Steve, the first problem you encounter is that the '80 spirit is not in the classification guide. ... That problem is easily rectified by converting the car to a '79 model. ... Now you have a car that is in the guide. Your choices are the 258 six or the 304 V8. ... The 258 is the better choice. This combo is very similar to the one I built for Ed Fernandez's current T/SA record holding 77 Gremlin. .... The 304 combo is only 15 hp more , but the 304 is 2 lbs higher in classification. If you want to persue the 258 ,start by checking the casting #'s in the guide against the ones on your nephew's Spirit . ..They may be the same as the '79..... If you want more info on this combo contact me on the PM link. ... Tom
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Steve OB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PM sent Tom
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Personally, I couldn't race a 6 cylinder (unless it was a turbo) or a 2bbl V8. God bless those that do, it's just not my style. If GT/SS is in your budget, you could create a killer car with a 290. Any of the other AMC performance V8's have a lot of potential but if I were building one today it would probably be a 290 with a stick; even though it has a smaller carb than the auto trans carb. Call me if you like.
Jeff Lee
602-418-9797