HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2021, 05:41 AM   #11
M120

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Richmond Dragway is closed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Heath View Post
Well said. Atco is still on the D1 schedule for 2021, so the book isn't closed yet. We just need to do what we can to keep it running!
The last town/county council meeting was postponed
because so many people called in. We should keep doing that!
You need to think about that the owner wants to turn it into a salvage yard. He doesn't care about the racers. The township doesn't want to shut it down, it's Len Capone. He wants to sell out to an auto auction.

Yell all you want,but the owner just wants to cash out.
I live in Waterford township (Atco) and I don't want a salvage yard there, but the owner is just trying to sell out to make a buck. He doesn't care about the residents or the racers.

What's going to happen if the township denies the application? Unhappy owner and he just shuts it down? That might be the best case because he would have to sell as a dragstrip, not a parking lot.

I understand that no one wants to lose a dragstrip but I don't want a salvage yard there either. I moved here to be close to the dragstrip over 20 years ago so I don't want to see it go as well. If the track was racing, I was there. I sure don't want a salvage yard leaking fluids into the ground water. It's all well water for at least three miles surrounding the track. Plus if there was a fire that got out of hand, many homes could be lost, including mine. It's all pines, hence the Pinelands. The wind is blowing strong as I type this, it just would fuel the fire.

The best thing that could happen is to find a buyer that likes drag racing.

My 2¢!

Last edited by M120; 01-24-2021 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Added a thought
M120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:13 AM   #12
Nick Heath

Liked 497 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M120 View Post
You need to think about that the owner wants to turn it into a salvage yard. He doesn't care about the racers. The township doesn't want to shut it down, it's Len Capone. He wants to sell out to an auto auction.

I live in Waterford township (Atco) and I don't want a salvage yard there, but the owner is just trying to sell out to make a buck. He doesn't care about the residents or the racers.

What's going to happen if the township denies the application? Unhappy owner and he just shuts it down? That might be the best case because he would have to sell as a dragstrip, not a parking lot.

I understand that no one wants to lose a dragstrip but I don't want a salvage yard there either. I moved here to be close to the dragstrip over 20 years ago so I don't want to see it go as well. If the track was racing, I was there. I sure don't want a salvage yard leaking fluids into the ground water. It's all well water for at least three miles surrounding the track. Plus if there was a fire that got out of hand, many homes could be lost, including mine. It's all pines, hence the Pinelands. The wind is blowing strong as I type this, it just would fuel the fire.

My 2¢!
I don't disagree. I guess my hopelessly optimistic viewpoint was that saving Atco depends on delaying or disrupting the IAA filing - because of the valid concerns that you and many other residents have identified - and buying enough time for a drag racer buyer to step up.
Nick Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #13
Dave Gantz

Liked 225 Times in 118 Posts

Let me ask this: I guess Atco is worth more as a scrapyard/auction (I'm confused as to which) than it is as a dragstrip? If it is, it must be a significant difference for the current owner, (whom I can only guess is a drag racing enthusiast) not to sell it as a dragstrip.

Atco's about 60 years old, I wouldn't want to be the guy who sold out.

I guess Englishtown was worth a bunch more as whatever-it-was-sold-as, rather than a dragstrip. Enthusiast or not, that owner eliminated an iconic track.

"Follow the money trail", I imagine. Shame.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #14
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,596 Times in 1,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james perrone View Post
i was speaking to someone who works at atco.
He said they are opening in february weather permitting
cross your fingers.
Save atco dragway
#atcodragwaymatters
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #15
Julie Jordan

Liked 320 Times in 64 Posts

California once had a plethora of tracks. Dad could, often did, race anywhere. Fremont, Half Moon Bay, Lions, Riverside, Orange County, Irwindale, to name a few. All gone, paved over for development. Sorry to say, but you are now beginning to experience what the west coast racer has had to live with for years.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M120 View Post

My 2¢!
Seems like a simple solution would be for you to buy the track. Then it will stay a drag strip. Every one assumes the guy is selling out of greed. Maybe he is loosing his *** every year or barely making enough to keep the doors open. I don't know anything about Atco or the owner. But after watching the video from Bill Bader jr It takes allot of money and hard work to keep a track operating. Eventually you can only do it so long just for the love of the sport.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #17
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNNChrisbarnes View Post
Looks like the owner decided he enjoyed life more not being a track operator after last year. Fair enough. It seems like it's for sale at least.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts

Always enjoyed Richmond Dragway. The Davis family a Class Act for sure
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #19
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
Let me ask this: I guess Atco is worth more as a scrapyard/auction (I'm confused as to which) than it is as a dragstrip? If it is, it must be a significant difference for the current owner, (whom I can only guess is a drag racing enthusiast) not to sell it as a dragstrip.

Atco's about 60 years old, I wouldn't want to be the guy who sold out.

I guess Englishtown was worth a bunch more as whatever-it-was-sold-as, rather than a dragstrip. Enthusiast or not, that owner eliminated an iconic track.

"Follow the money trail", I imagine. Shame.

Englishtown was not sold and is still owned by the same family.
Some of the property was leased to park cars that are up for sale at one of the auto auction sites. Damaged cars from accidents, floods, fires I assume. They have a lot of value and paying storage fees on them would cost a great deal of money. I assume that leasing existing paved facilities saves a lot of money.
Atco would be something along those same lines.....but I believe with an actual Auction building proposed.
On the way to Atco I pass the Bordentown Auto Auction site.....A huge place where cars are auctioned. Those are all used cars not damaged. It's big business and millions of dollars changing hands.

Drag racing is like an endangered species........If tracks keep disappearing we're extinct.....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 01-25-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #20
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Northeast USA dragstrips have been suffering for years, If you do not have a owner with deep pockets to make it through the tough years of rainouts, and a passion for drag racing,it will not survive. I believe most years it is not a profitable business. Maple grove for sale, when COVID hit deal to keep it a racetrack fell through. And think how racers have changed, get your phone out, look at future weather radar and say, Looks like rain, I am not going. Show up in motorhome and buy no concessions at the track. Any dial-in racing is not fan friendly.

I have made it a point when I go to the track to buy something, Wife says I have too many T-Shirts now..
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote