HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #81
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,429 Times in 1,952 Posts
Default Re: "Live" from our Southwestern Swing

Well David and Ray Buckner said Jerry Davis' spaghetti was really good last night, so it made us hungry for spaghetti, too. So since we couldn't get outside and grill in the rain,, we cooked spaghetti tonight. I'm sure it wasn't as good as Jerry's, but we ate it anyway!

They are starting out at 9 in the morning (weather permitting) with Round 3 of Super Street, then finish round 2 of super comp, then all the top this and that, and comp and alcohol and round 3 of everything else, then stock round 3. So if there are many delays tomorrow, we may not run again until Monday. But we are still in!!!

More later
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #82
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

On a side note the track's $3.50 french fries are worth every red cent!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #83
BobUnkefer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
On a side note the track's $3.50 french fries are worth every red cent!
Told ya so!

Unk
Old 10-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #84
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: "Live" from our Southwestern Swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOrme View Post
I've spent a lot of hours in that "big" tower in recent years.

I've watched it rain quite a bit a few times. One year Bob Frey was there doing a piece for his Sportsman show at the divisional event, and there was a three hour rain delay. That was the most entertaining rain delay I've ever experienced! Bob did three straight hours of stand-up comedy. Not only is he one of the best drag racing announcers in the history of the sport, he's also one of the funniest people I've ever met.

I've seen racing delayed due to wind at Thunder Valley. I've seen that happen a few times at the Texas Motorplex too. The wind sure can blow in Texas and Oklahoma!

I was there the night Shelley Howard destroyed her TAD (and a gate) at a turnoff in the shutdown area. That was a very scary crash, but she walked away from it unhurt.

Heaven help you if race day activities end at the same time as a Sooner home football game ends. That little 4-mile stretch of highway 9 to I-35 can take 45 minutes to traverse when it is full of Sooner football fans.

I happen to really like the smaller drag strips like Thunder Valley. The experience, at least for me, is more intimate and friendly than it is at most larger (national event) tracks. Way too many of the smaller tracks have been closing in recent years, and that is very troubling for both racers and fans. When I see decent car counts at smaller tracks for divisional events, I can only smile. You folks really are the backbone of this sport. Your continued participation and support is greatly appreciated!
Bob,,, I hear you and agree that way too many tracks have closed in recent times, especially the smaller ones,, but all is not lost! Out here in Washington state, 2 men got together and put the resources, equipment and man power up to build a brand new multi-use facility. They were able to navigate all the permit and redtape processes and hit the ground running this past spring, and have transformed a stump ladened multi level piece of property into what promises to be a top notch racetrack for racers and fans to enjoy for many years to come. The road race course is already "booked" of the available 2012 dates, and I'm sure the dragstrip isn't too far behind.
Try this link: www.ridgemotorsportspark.com
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #85
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Sunday, it's cool, it's cloudly, it's wet. Forcast on local tv is "dreary". 7:38 AM and no sounds of anything being done to the track. I hope they have a track dryer.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #86
bob3240

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Larry and Patsy, thanks so much for your reporting! If you see

Gary Moore, ask him if he raced pontiacs back in the 70's. And if so tell him that Bob Michael wants to know if he owns an oil well for each hemicuda? thanks , Bob.
bob3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #87
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Ann & Gary Moore are long time friends of Jeanie & I. He did indeed run Pontiacs. He had a '61 bubble-top Ventura when we first met them. It was fast. No oil wells just farming. Gary did a lot of work on that car that others would hire out. They are salt of the earth hard working people.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #88
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Well the track dryers are going and it isn't raining! It hasn't rained all morning, but it is only in the 60s and it's taking a while to get good enough to go down. The local weather that I was watching this morning has rain getting to us pretty soon, but another good window from 2-7. If that happens we should be able to get it in today, but we are going to have to begin pretty soon!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #89
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Well they had the track about dry, then sprinkles continued and they are scraping the track. But we just saw the ambulance leave the track. There has been no announcements, but unless they were just going out to get something to eat--this doesn't look good.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #90
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
Well they had the track about dry, then sprinkles continued and they are scraping the track. But we just saw the ambulance leave the track. There has been no announcements, but unless they were just going out to get something to eat--this doesn't look good.
Well, at least you don't have to go to work tommorow!