HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 938 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable front struts for Mustang who's to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
Thanks everybody for the input. Still doing research don't have enough money for the Santuff or the Varistruts. The QA1 looks very good and shaves a few pounds off the front. Still have lots of work to do before the first race in May to the 90 Mustang. All ready aquired the Moroso front springs.

Wheels up everybody
Let us know how you make out installing those Moroso front coils in your Mustang. I have a pair that I`d like to install in my car, but you can`t use a normal coil spring compressor on a FOX Mustang, and they are so long that I`ve never had any luck installing them by letting the lower control arms hang from the inner pivots. Anybody ever install these springs (uncut) in a FOX without using the factory type Ford spring compressor?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts

Rory I have only done it with about 5/8 of a coil cut out on a freinds car it was still not easy. I am going to try uncut when I buy some struts. I will let you know how it goes.
west coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 57 Times in 27 Posts

I have Eibach drag springs on my car. I made my own spring compressor, but it was very tough to get them in. I don't know how the Moroso's compare to the Eibachs.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
87gt50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Let us know how you make out installing those Moroso front coils in your Mustang. I have a pair that I`d like to install in my car, but you can`t use a normal coil spring compressor on a FOX Mustang, and they are so long that I`ve never had any luck installing them by letting the lower control arms hang from the inner pivots. Anybody ever install these springs (uncut) in a FOX without using the factory type Ford spring compressor?
I'm not familiar with how the factory type Ford spring compressor looks like, but I have put in uncut Moroso dragsprings on my FOX using a compressor that I believe is designed to be universal, but also fits the Mercedes springs. Its a fine threaded rod that is inserted on ths inside of the spring, then put in removable brackets on the second coil top and bottom and compress until coil bind. (I usually secure the spring here with a strap to prevent it from being able to pop out at vany point.)
Raise the A-arm to "catch" the bottom of the spring, using a jack. When fully raised, start loosening the rod, and finally remove it through the hole in the A-arm located in the center of the spring seat and remove the brackets.

I found a picture (attached) of how this compressor looks like when in pieces. This is from a Swedish store, but I'm pretty sure you can find it in the US as well.

I hope this explanation is understandable and useful.

/Joakim, Sweden N/S 88 Mustang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring compressor.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	647  
87gt50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
Notch1320

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out www.maximummotorsports.com

They sell a front spring install tool for $13.95 that is a big help in installing front springs.

Part # MMT-8