HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
slwryde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Front springs 67 camaro

I recently bought some Santhuff springs for my 67 camaro. They are the 18 x 5 x 180 lbs/inch set. They do set a bit high about an 1" off the upper control arm bump stops. I have the stock control arm bushings in the car and have all 8 of them loose so the control arms do rotate freely. I plan on replacing them with the afco bushings. I would like to get the car to sit a little lower.

The car weighs 2800lbs. 1596lbs on the nose 1204lbs on the rear.

Does anyone run the 150lbs springs on the front of a first generation camaro? I would rather buy a set and try them rather than cutting these.
Santhuff says they will trade me out, but I think a 150lb may be a little to low!
slwryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Front springs 67 camaro

My nova has the same weight bias that your car has. I have the 150's in my car and it is low. My car has a 26 inch tall tire. I like the front ride height on my car, but I don't like the height in the rear. You can buy the 150's and put a spacer pad under the spring.

Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
slwryde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That looks a little low for me...but like you said, I could get some spacers. I talked with Santhuff on the phone and he advised me to just cut the flats off of what I have. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the post and the picture.
slwryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slwryde View Post
That looks a little low for me...but like you said, I could get some spacers. I talked with Santhuff on the phone and he advised me to just cut the flats off of what I have. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the post and the picture.
Cutting springs might hurt the stored energy capability of the spring. I'd go with spacers if you want the most you can get out of the springs. I know a racer that heats a tall spring to get the ride height he wants. That's a tricky process and something that I'd never attempt. Good luck with whatever you do.
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote