Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 03-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Robin Lawrence
Sponsor

Liked 621 Times in 108 Posts
Default Re: Factory efi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
Can you give specific examples, and describe the impact of those things?
LOL, I am with you on this Rob. I hear this from time to time while at the Track. You would be surprised at how many people haven't scratched the surface with the capabilities of the more recent EFI units available today.

Robin
Liked
Old 03-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I have tuned several with both FAST XFI & Holley. I would certainly disagree. I can & do make the FAST system do things the Holley can not. Besides the Holley ECU failures I have seen.
Most, in fact just about all the issues with the Holley is installation, and piss poor map set up. Actually its amazing how bad they can be and still run half way decent. Had a guy come over to our pits last summer and wanted me to look over his stuff. He said it ran fine, didn't miss or bog or anything, but the engine builder kept telling him he thought it should be faster. He says its a seven under car, he's happy with that, but lets have a look at it ..First thing I noticed was his data log showed crazy things going on with his TPS signal. And the better I adjusted the fuel map (which was a mess) the worse the signal got. I contacted Robin and he tells me a few areas to look at. Turns out, the units main voltage inputs did not go directly to the Battery. It was not set to the right parameters in the crank trigger settings. And the tune needed alot of work. We were both amazed when the car picked up THREE tenths. One solid tenth in 60 foot. Holleys are killer units, I think they have over 35 thousand of them out in service ( Right Robin?), but GIGO, Garbage In, Garbage Out, is absolutely the thing to watch on them....

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 03-30-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
Can you give specific examples, and describe the impact of those things?
One thing is something I was doing with my old Jr Stock ‘56. Running more timing in low & second gear. Something Jere Stahl put me onto over twenty years ago. I now run different timing in each gear. Easy 5 hundredths there. Jere told me he and Bill Jenkins had done that for years. Used to do it with our old dual point distributors & a toggle switch. “Turn on” the second set of points to retard the timing. I had re-drilled the breaker plate in my ‘56 Corvette distributor to move that one set of points to adjust the amount of retard. Spent most of a day on my Sun “distributor machine” working that deal out. Had the toggle switch mounted where my Hurst shifter tripped it going to high gear. I was much younger then, could usually remember to flip the switch back on the return road. LOL My FAST ECU does it all for me now. I do have a toggle switch now that shuts that function off, to help slow the car down when I don’t need it. The FAST XFI ECU can hold 5 “tunes”, I just use two.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 03-30-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Still can’t type.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #14
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

Was just talking about doing the retard points deal with someone this morning.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Valentine View Post
Was just talking about doing the retard points deal with someone this morning.
First I ever heard of it was from Jere Stahl. Then I bought the book by Bill Jenkins showing how to do it. He was flipping the retard switch with the shifter in his Vega.
The NHRA World Finals was held in Tulsa a few years. I saw a switch in Monster Mash that I assumed was for retard.
The Ronca Brothers had a ‘56, same combo as mine, but MUCH faster! Took the winds out of my sales. LOL 25 years old, and thought I was bad fast. Evidently I held the record because they let me. LOL Never had the nerve, and was too embarrassed, to talk to them.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

You should be able to create a secondary table to control the timing like that through Holley as well. Can’t remember off the top of my head what the actual terminology for the table is. But you can create a secondary table based off whatever input you’d like. Such as time or transbrake release etc. I just recently started messing with this on my turbo 275 car where I can pull extra timing down track if the track isn’t as good. Not saying the fast system isn’t great but for a relative newbie to efi I love the simplicity in Holleys system.

Rick Ryan
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #17
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

What else you got Ed? 😎
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #18
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
One thing is something I was doing with my old Jr Stock ‘56. Running more timing in low & second gear. Something Jere Stahl put me onto over twenty years ago. I now run different timing in each gear. Easy 5 hundredths there. Jere told me he and Bill Jenkins had done that for years. Used to do it with our old dual point distributors & a toggle switch. “Turn on” the second set of points to retard the timing. I had re-drilled the breaker plate in my ‘56 Corvette distributor to move that one set of points to adjust the amount of retard. Spent most of a day on my Sun “distributor machine” working that deal out. Had the toggle switch mounted where my Hurst shifter tripped it going to high gear. I was much younger then, could usually remember to flip the switch back on the return road. LOL My FAST ECU does it all for me now. I do have a toggle switch now that shuts that function off, to help slow the car down when I don’t need it. The FAST XFI ECU can hold 5 “tunes”, I just use two.
You can do this with the Holley also. If you want to have multiple tunes inside the ECM to switch between you need the Dominator ECM. There is so much that can be done with the Holley that people just don't even know about.
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #19
Fireofficer5

Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

OP. The factory ECM is great for Stock class cars. All you need is a hand heild tuner or a lap top programer.
Fireofficer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #20
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireofficer5 View Post
OP. The factory ECM is great for Stock class cars. All you need is a hand heild tuner or a lap top programer.
Many factory ECUs don’t run well at higher RPM. Most GM stuff won’t trigger the injectors well past 7000 RPM. Not sure how high you need to spin your Stocker.
1996/1999 Vortec trucks hit that just barely past 6000.