HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
mannymen

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default BBC Oval Port Heads ?

Who in New England (Mass, CT or N.H.) is highly recommended or experienced with BBC Oval Port heads. Bracket Motor
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: BBC Oval Port Heads ?

Not in the area you requested by arguably the best and many who port today worked for him back in the day....Larry Woodward aka Brandywine Cylinder Head Service in Westchester, PA.

That said, Rich Biebel who posts here worked his magic for years on the cast iron oval port heads that were on my 468 before Larry and Bruce McDowell tweaked them.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Are L&L (Lebrun) still operating in Conn. ?
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Not in the area you requested by arguably the best and many who port today worked for him back in the day....Larry Woodward aka Brandywine Cylinder Head Service in Westchester, PA.

That said, Rich Biebel who posts here worked his magic for years on the cast iron oval port heads that were on my 468 before Larry and Bruce McDowell tweaked them.
Welcome back Ed......although that thought is probably not going to be real popular on here...LOL
And on those oval port heads I did not have any sophisticated equipment and no flow bench.....just old school experience. And my work was just as fast as extensive work done by Bruce after me....and that was surprising.....
Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
1320racer
VIP Member

Thanks and Happy New Year.

For those interested, that is the truth. No knock on Bruce or Larry who still does porting for me but I did not run .01 quicker or .1 faster after their work which included further intake and exhaust port work, angle milling, valve job and swapping out the 1.88 exhaust valves for tulip valves, which everyone who saw the heads/work including Rich was sure I would.

Larry's reputation with cast iron heads and performance achievements are lengendary and his repair work to both cast iron and aluminum heads is second to none.

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-02-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
tj310

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fastest SS big block guys are just across the bay in Nova Scotia John + Allyn Armstrong. ---Trevor
tj310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

You have a PM
I think what your looking for is in my shop.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Tom Boucher
Boucher Machine !
Tom may even have a used set of SS heads that would work for a bracket motor.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Welcome back Ed......although that thought is probably not going to be real popular on here...LOL
And on those oval port heads I did not have any sophisticated equipment and no flow bench.....just old school experience. And my work was just as fast as extensive work done by Bruce after me....and that was surprising.....
131 MPH @ 3800 pounds and thats a stretch = 655 HP in New Jersey conditions. Rich, the fuel system on that car was far from capable of supplying fuel in those wheelie conditions, A mallory 140 does not have enough line pressure to push the fuel forward under those conditions, and the 330 foots proved that in my eyes, so I think its hard to say the new head work couldn't have been better. The exhaust system was also a disaster, all it takes is one system to hold a car back. I feel the car was far from optimized. Something to consider. There is no way in this world your going to optimize a BBC oval port head without a flow bench. Ive seen guys do a nice port without the bench, but to take it too the max your gonna need some equipement. I always run tulliped exhaust valves. But I would say Rich you did put together a good running bracket program for Ed. Welcome back Ed.

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 01-02-2014 at 10:11 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
1320racer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
131 MPH @ 3800 pounds and thats a stretch = 655 HP in New Jersey conditions. Rich, the fuel system on that car was far from capable of supplying fuel in those wheelie conditions, A mallory 140 does not have enough line pressure to push the fuel forward under those conditions, and the 330 foots proved that in my eyes, so I think its hard to say the new head work couldn't have been better. The exhaust system was also a disaster, all it takes is one system to hold a car back. I feel the car was far from optimized. Something to consider. There is no way in this world your going to optimize a BBC oval port head without a flow bench. Ive seen guys do a nice port without the bench, but to take it too the max your gonna need some equipement. I always run tulliped exhaust valves. But I would say Rich you did put together a good running bracket program for Ed. Welcome back Ed.
Some things never change!

1. Your reply to this thread in no way helps nor answer's the op's question.

2. this thread ain't about HP, fuel systems, exhaust systems nor my former car that I sold 5 years ago.

3. Rich has forgotten more about porting heads than you have yet learned!

4. My former car has not had a Mallory Comp 140 pump on it since 2006. Further after doubling pump output and increasing the main fuel line from 3/8" to -8, it was worth exactly NOTHING on the time slip.

5. The 3 1/2" exhaust system on my former ride that weighed over 50 lbs. was the 3rd system on this car in 8 years. It was also the least restrictive, killing only 7 hundreds in the 1/4.

6. My heads were flowed before Larry and Bruce touched them, during port development and upon completion.

7. Most important, your only knowledge of my former ride is what you have gleaned over the years reading everyone of my posts.

8. FYI, 3880 lbs. to be exact!

Last edited by 1320racer; 01-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.