HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
drace69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Trailer tires - 15 vs. 16

Well see I have trailer tires starting to come apart again.

I Said after the last set that I wasn't going to do this again so am looking at changing over to 16" rims as it seems that is the best option for getting away from this issue as much as possible.

I know this has probably been beat to death before so bare with me if you will.

Few questions:

1) How did you determine if 16" rims would work with existing axle spacing (mine looks to have about 4.5" between the 15" Maxxis 10 plys (225/75/15) that are on there now).

2) What/where is the best place to get the new rims.

3) What is the best 16" tire for this application after the switch.

Again I know this has been discussed before but any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
drace69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
Bob Pagano
VIP Member

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Trailer tires - 15 vs. 16

You need to talk to Jeff Teuton, he can help you. He has many years with trailer tires of all sizes. Look him up on this board and send him a message .
Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

If you have 6 hole wheels on your trailer, then you have 5000# axles each. 6 hole 16 rims are available. You can get cheapies, steel painted from lots of sources, or aluminum wheels which in that pattern there are some reasonable wheels out there. You will have no problem with back spacing. I assume you are going to use a 16 x 6 wheel which is the standard. I assume you have a 2 axle trailer which I would use a 10 ply (load range e), and a good brand. I use Firestone Transports on my 2 axle, but there are good brands available. Never use any ST (special trailer) tires as they are junk. The reason they are for trailers only is they cannot be certified as a steering axle tire. After that investment, you should be good till you wear them out or they get real old and crack. Nobody makes a good 15 tire for a race car trailer that I know of. If you have 4.5 spacing 5 hole wheels, then you have 3500# each axle, and the best you can hope for is a probably a light truck rated pickup truck tire probably 6 ply (load range C). That axle is famous for knocking out the outer bearing because it is small and heats up and then welds itself to the axle. The 5000# axle has larger bearings and larger brakes. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jeff Teuton; 06-09-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Jeff Teuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

You didn't say how old the existing ST tires are. In case you are considering staying with 15" tires. . . Maxxis says theirs are good for 5 years; some brands specify 4 years. I would never run them longer, and watch for checking in the sidewalls--usually begins near the tread or the bead. I don't load my 15" ST's more than 80% of rating and run them at max air pressure. E's could get hotter due to heavier construction, especially if I underinflate them to match the light load on them. So far, so good with Maxxis, made in Thailand iirc. I avoid China mfg. tires.

My decision went like this, so far--I heard that non-ST tires could give you a hassle at a roadside check because enforcement wants to see trailer rated tires on trailers. If all ST tires are made off-shore, then 16" probably wouldn't give an advantage over 15" tires.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Ron Steiner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of us with trailers with 15" tires have experienced having this problem. I have a Pace American with 6 lug 15 " tires. After losing another tire coming home from Epping last year I went to my trailer guy to solve the problem. He mounted up a 16" tire for me and put in on my trailer, there was about less then an inch on top space to clear and said the tire would bottom out on the inner fender of the trailer. He suggested I go to and E rated 15" which I did. So far this has worked. Just a note I have a 3500 lb car , golf car and the normal amount of tools and other junk in my trailer. 16" clearance may work on this trailer if I had a light car or dragster. I hope this helps you.
Ron Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts

I switched on a Haulmark with 3500 lb axles. Wheels off of a Lincoln LSC. They are a 16 inch forged aluminum wheel with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Cheap at the wrecking yard. I put load range G tires on. I have hade this on 2 different trailers with no problems. Before I carried 2 spares and seldom came home with a spare left.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

certain models of Ford products like Rangers/Mariners/Explorers/LSC came with 16x6 x4 1/2 BC 5 lug wheels also some Jeeps and Mopars you'll hafta look,, mine are Ford Ranger pick up truck wheels put LT225/70R/16 load range E tires on my trailer ---if you are concerned about tire clearance look at the charts to see what the width/diamter will be compared to what you currently have in 15in then get a 16in tire that approximates that size---keep em inflated to the max on the tiresidewall and keep your speed down too-I know guys say they run 80MPH all day long but HEAT is what kills a tire 60-65 MPH is fast enough you'll get there maybe 15 minutes behind him but at least you wont blow a tire--also plan on new tires about every 4-5 years regardless of the mileage!!!!!!!----FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #8
drace69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the input thus far guys.

Joe - Your assumptions are correct - 2 axle - 6lug (5200 # axles).

I have tried all the 'E' tires I can find and I looked back these are about 4 years old and have held up as good as any of them.

From some of the comments maybe that is the best you can expect from them - it just doens't make sense that the tread looks real good yet they start coming apart.

Still kind of on the fence trying to decide what to do.

Any other input ?

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

Hey guys, pretty new to this board but been in the trailer business for 12 years strong. Maxxis makes about the best 15" E-rated tire I have found. If you are getting 4-5 years out of any 15" tire you are doing FANTASTIC! If you have smaller wheelboxes or close axles you can still go to a 16" wheel/tire. Goodyear makes a 225/75R16 E rated LT tire that is one tough mf'er. There are a few others that mfg this size but the GY is the only one I have personal experience with. Honestly I have a LQ trailer that I run LT's on and if I can get 5 years I feel like I hit the LOTTO!
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
drace69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody had any experience with the Hercules 15" - 'E' rated trailer tires?