HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #321
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,457 Times in 1,958 Posts
Default Re: "Live" from Indy US Nationals 2013

Just got back from the Teutons after the presentations for the winners and runners-up in the A/S and A/SA classes. Thanks to all who posted prizes for all. I am sure Jim Schaeter will put all the details up on that thread. I have some pics that I will upload in a bit.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #322
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
All I can say is 'holy cow' what a day .I'd like to say that I spent the day watching great races - taking neat pictures and making new friends but that wouldn't be true .Today was about me and why I came here .Selfish ? Maybe but I came here for a class Wally for myself and for Chevrolet and I gave it everything I had .

The bottom line is that I was busy today with all the usual things one has to do to compete at this level.Stuff like tuning , weight checking ,cleaning the car numerious times ,cooling it off after runs , the rounds themselves , getting 'up ' for each round , the highs(and lows) alone will wear you out .And let us not forget the icing before the runs and the drying off the motor .I could go on and on but let me assure you I'm plumb wore out .

And here's a new one - as a COPO owner I was amazed that people were stopping by to get my autograph on books and other memoribilia .I've had more requests this weekend than my entire racing career .Who saw that coming?

Bottom line is that I made it to the class final - gave it everything I had - my best game and came up short .It just wasn't my day .My hats off ( no pun intended) to Peter Biondo driving Roger Cooks drop dead beautiful Cobra Jet Mustang - we had a fair and square race and he won .Period .

While speaking To Ford Motor Company guru Jesse Kershaw tonight he told me this is how rivalries are started and he's right .Me? I'm a good sport and I know that one day the tables will turn my way .Are you listening Roger ?

Back a little later with more ...........
Three comments
1. Congrats on doing well Jack-no shame in losing to Peter and I really respect the no excuses attitude that you showed in what you wrote.
2. The fact that you had folks asking for autographs combined with the interest of the manufacturers in class racing ought to make some of the people stop complaining about the new cars.
3. Compare the sad state of pro stock (Erica can't get the level sponsorship that makes running her car economically viable) with what is going on in class racing. If you are Ford or Chevy or Chysler-Mopar, does in make sense to put your dollars in pro stock or Funny Car or class racing? Well we and John Force know the answer to that question. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I'm Bob Tasca (either II or III), I'm going to get a stocker or super stocker. He should go talk to Ray Skillman about what makes he most sense and which is the most fun.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #323
Chris Hill

Liked 238 Times in 25 Posts

Of stock qualifiers, 52 have carburetors.

22 non-qualifiers have carburetors.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #324
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

Thanks to all who contributed reports.

Indy is the bomb!

Congratulations to my old friend Wes Leopold Jr!
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #325
keith ohanesian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPennzoil View Post
Hello from Day 3 of the US Nationals!

Best video ever of Indy!
Back In the day we would have an 8am date. We showed up at 1:45 with the cooler. Drove it in last and was the first ones out running! Brian MaCormack, The Worners, Linc Morehead, my self and a big cooler of BEER! We always tried to get the strippers to help us.

Awesome Video Randi. Still have no idea what Bo says when he mumbles.
Nothing better than putting the trophy on the roof at teardown!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #326
Tom P

Liked 217 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david ring View Post
3. Compare the sad state of pro stock (Erica can't get the level sponsorship that makes running her car economically viable) with what is going on in class racing. If you are Ford or Chevy or Chysler-Mopar, does in make sense to put your dollars in pro stock or Funny Car or class racing? Well we and John Force know the answer to that question. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if I'm Bob Tasca (either II or III), I'm going to get a stocker or super stocker. He should go talk to Ray Skillman about what makes he most sense and which is the most fun.
Bob Tasca II certainly knows already, his brother ran 7's in a Cobra Jet that is close to being SS legal. I asked him at Las Vegas about that and he knew quite a lot about the car and what was not SS legal about it. He said Carl just wants to go fast with it. It wouldn't surprise me to see them field a Stock or SS CJ one day. I think that'd be cool, burgundy with a gold roof...
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #327
Tom P

Nice video. Randi even looks like a movie star.
6 hours and that's a simple engine, how long to get the Mod Motor in the Mustang apart?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #328
Tom P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
[These last 2 pictures show the end grandstands covered up so that when they show the stands on TV, it looks like there are more people in the stands. Now General Admission is moved up and the Racers do not have any stands just for us!
So much for the 1000 foot club in the stands, it'll be the 700 foot club now.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #329
wpgmb

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPennzoil View Post
Hello from Day 3 of the US Nationals!

Great video that captures the spirit of Indy.
Saw Jim D'Amore of JDM Engineering at minute 3.00. Nice to see a top engine builder helping his customers with teardown
wpgmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #330
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Thank's for video of barn, Randi Lynn that was neat made me feel like I was there.

Hate to hear about head stud deal,that's something that is going to make no difference in ET should not be a big deal,is a rule that could use enhansment(crap as many times as I read that word on here, should be able to spell it)
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote