HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
DIAPERMAN

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Unhappy Sewer smell while driving

We get sewer smell while driving after using all weekend .dont get it going at all toilet has water in it vents closed also put water in sinks and covered shower drain
DIAPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts
Default Re: Sewer smell while driving

i use to get that too, with side windows down, it would draw the smell forward, even with formaldehyde additive. whew, bad stuff. anyway, i bought a vent top, sorta looks like a wind vain. it attaches to the vent pipe and draws the oder out while driving. works pretty well. and def. worth the $5-15 bucks i paid for it! got mine at good old wal-mart...

Last edited by Keith 944; 05-23-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
DIAPERMAN

Thanks I saw those
Old 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
sc180b

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure what make coach you have, but I have had the same issue in my last two motorhomes. I tracked the problem down in both of them to the in house syphon style vent the manufactures use on the drain lines for the sink in the cooking area. This style vent is spring loaded and opens when water goes down the waste line. The smell is from the vent not closing completely allowing odor from the gray tank to come back up and out of vent. The vent is normally located in the cabinet under the sink. The vent is easly replaced and should thread off, no cutting or glueing involved.
Pope
sc180b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 678 Times in 262 Posts

I couldn't resist.... Have you checked to see if your Diaper is full?
:~)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
DIAPERMAN

Talking Re: Sewer smell while driving

I cant believe someone had not came up with a diaper jab That was funny
Old 05-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

I'm definately not an expert on RV stuff but from my experience with both a motorhome and a RV trailer the thing I found out is periodically ya hafta go thru and check all the plumbing connections and joints cuz with all the vibration and tweaking/stretching/bouncing/gyrations and all these things go thru going down the road things just have a way of loosening up-drain pipes/water line connections/vents etc. and not just the plumbing stuff but wiring cables and connectors too/door latches etc---another thing is after ya have winterized one to get it road ready ya hafta go and put water (about a bucket full) down all the drains/toilets/showers etc to get some water in the traps to stop the sewer gas from coming back up the drain pipes--
Now if you have sewer smell it proboably is coming from the black water area not the gray water area cuz soapy water(which is the gray water) just does not smell like sewerage---the toilet flushes DIRECTLY into the black water tank NEVER ever going into a gray water tank---the gray water tank eventually reaches a certain capacity and then overflows into the black tank,,at least this is what I have been led to believe--- so either your gray tank is not storing water and IS draining directly into the black tank thus allowing sewer gas to seep back thru the drains or the traps are not full of water---there is also some chemicals ya can dump drown the drains to help with any odors(smell) that ya might get--Best bet is to check all your fittings/put some water in the drains to seal the traps and if all else fails go to an RV service center walk into the back door into the shop and ask who is really good/knowledgeable about this kind of problem talk to the guru tech about your problem & see what he suggests/thinks it might be could just be something simple you are overlooking
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote