HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #11
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Resurrecting the Rambler

OK. So to get things in perspective as this goes forward, the car and class have been selected, and the physical work of the transformation needs to start. But before the car is taken in for teardown, the groundwork of the plan of attack can be laid out. Somehow, according to calculations, I've got to get at least 225 HP at the rear wheels using a max of 270 cubic inches, a crummy intake, not nearly enough valve lift on puny valves, a small 2 bbl carb that will be gasping for air after 660 feet, and this has to somehow propel 3020 lbs down the track in 14.40 or less. I do love a challenge!
I'm sure the build veterans of the sport will heartily disagree now and then with my methods, but the possible lessons I might learn the hard way that could help way down the road had to be considered too. So did the financial side of things, meaning I'll have to start small and gradually iron things out.
Bear in mind I have plenty of spare "everythings" for this car, and if something is installed initially just to keep progress moving forward some, chances are it's backup part is being 'romanced' somewhere in the background for the future. As I learn about what works good and get spare things done, things will inevitably change.

First: the Spirit was hauled into a friend's auto shop for a look underneath at things, and mainly for the use of his lift to ease in pulling the drivetrain out. Once there, it didn't take long to learn the condition of things might change my mind drastically. The 15 years of the previous owner's daily drives to a factory day after day in all kinds of Midwest weather and a 12 year sit in the weeds after I was done playing with it in 2003 had no doubt helped the winter salt treatments here in IL take their toll.
Turns out the entire unibody is rotten. So bad there is no saving it.

Time to look for another car.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Take a look in the Classifieds here. Dated 7/24/15, Mike Meier has a Spirit roller for sale. -Al
Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 179 Times in 110 Posts

This is an interesting Stocker Build.

The AMX straight 6 Engine is still popular with the Jeep crowd.
Golen Engine hops them up with Stroker kits and ported upgraded heads.

Good luck.

Dan
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:23 AM   #14
Pinballer

You're right there, Dan, the Jeep crowd is the one experimenting more than any other group with this engine. A lot of their efforts can translate over to what I'm pursuing, so they were pretty helpful. The main thing they know is that revving this engine much about 5000 rpm doesn't help anything. The power curve falls flat on its face and parts attrition goes way up. That told me that the ET I need must all be developed in the 1/8th mile because there won't be much gain after that. It's all about torque on this one, not raw HP made by wringing the guts out of it.

Back to the build:
At this point (early Oct as I catch you up), I'm looking at a rusted out piece of junk I'll have to part out. A new body is needed, and I still preferred to go with the Spirit platform rather than switch to something that classes differently, so looked around at what I had in my own stable of cars and saw this 'jewel' that had been sitting in front of the pinball shop since 1993. It's a weather-worn 1982 Spirit GT that was originally a 151 4 cyl 4 speed car, no engine or trans, that had a straight good body, that I had bought back then with the idea of throwing a V8 and an automatic in it and bracket racing it eventually. There was some initial work I did to it right after hauling it home back then, the best part of which was installing an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end that has the same width as the original tiny AMC rear. The pinball business was getting going good about that time for me, so I shelved the project due to building the business and let the car sit where you see it in the picture. It was still there in the same spot as of October 2015. Man, where do the years go??
Now then: is it rotten underneath like the '80 Spirit was too? Going to have to pull this one out and take a full assessment.
On to Plan B!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1796.jpeg
Views:	455
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	32047  
Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 AM   #15
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinballer View Post
You're right there, Dan, the Jeep crowd is the one experimenting more than any other group with this engine. A lot of their efforts can translate over to what I'm pursuing, so they were pretty helpful. The main thing they know is that revving this engine much about 5000 rpm doesn't help anything. The power curve falls flat on its face and parts attrition goes way up. That told me that the ET I need must all be developed in the 1/8th mile because there won't be much gain after that. It's all about torque on this one, not raw HP made by wringing the guts out of it.

Back to the build:
At this point (early Oct as I catch you up), I'm looking at a rusted out piece of junk I'll have to part out. A new body is needed, and I still preferred to go with the Spirit platform rather than switch to something that classes differently, so looked around at what I had in my own stable of cars and saw this 'jewel' that had been sitting in front of the pinball shop since 1993. It's a weather-worn 1982 Spirit GT that was originally a 151 4 cyl 4 speed car, no engine or trans, that had a straight good body, that I had bought back then with the idea of throwing a V8 and an automatic in it and bracket racing it eventually. There was some initial work I did to it right after hauling it home back then, the best part of which was installing an 8 3/4 Chrysler rear end that has the same width as the original tiny AMC rear. The pinball business was getting going good about that time for me, so I shelved the project due to building the business and let the car sit where you see it in the picture. It was still there in the same spot as of October 2015. Man, where do the years go??
Now then: is it rotten underneath like the '80 Spirit was too? Going to have to pull this one out and take a full assessment.
On to Plan B!
FYI If you go with the Spirit that came with the 151 engine you'll need the disc brake rotors and pads specific to that engine, they're different than the 6 cylinder cars.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #16
Pinballer

(Early October now)
So we clear out the jungle brush and half a ton of assorted junk that got piled up behind this 82 car, and try to avoid ticking off the inhabitants of a nearby hornet nest, ( how fitting is that? Hornets at an AMC collectors house?) . Aired up the rotted tires, hooked up a chain to the resident 4wd Dakota and yanked her out from around the shade tree.

And her she is in all her leaf-encrusted moldy glory. The remains of a dud 350 Chevy engine is parked in the engine bay underneath the plastic.
Time to jack this one up and take a look underneath at everything. Hopefully not a repeat of Plan A.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_img_20150920_144743.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	32068   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20150920_144722.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	32069   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20150920_144801.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	32070  

Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #17
mike britt

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts

It's a diamond in the rough. Love that spoiler.
mike britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
Pinballer

First bath in probably 25 years, what a change! Outside now looking much better, got to get underneath and peck on a few places next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_img_20150922_183156.jpg
Views:	1344
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	32072   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20150922_183121.jpg
Views:	1342
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	32073   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_20150922_183135.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	32074  

Old 01-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #19
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Last edited by Charlie A; 01-01-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #20
Mike Meier

Liked 40 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Nyhus View Post
Take a look in the Classifieds here. Dated 7/24/15, Mike Meier has a Spirit roller for sale. -Al

Thanks Alan

Brian......My Spirit is still for sale as a roller w/ a disassembled 304 - 2bbl. I have less time to deal with racing since changing jobs in August. I don't recall if you were someone that already contacted me but feel free to shoot me an email at mmeier1167@yahoo.com.