Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #31
Darrel Goheen

Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts
Default Re: Proposal and NHRA and IHRA Responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I think it's great that the sanctions are hearing from the S/SS community. I would like someone to explain why it's beneficial to combine stick and autos, and or cut classes in general?
I believe that is an easy question to answer. Fewer classes = more heads up rounds which means more round wins for those with fast cars.
Darrel Goheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #32
Superfan1
VIP Member

Liked 2,344 Times in 409 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Proposal and NHRA and IHRA Responses

Excellent proposal Ed, well conceived and well written.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #33
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 503 Times in 126 Posts

Getting a lot of supportive emails. Please email Graham Light and Glen Gray your thoughts on this. Without the support of the racers they will not make changes.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #34
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Goheen View Post
I believe that is an easy question to answer. Fewer classes = more heads up rounds which means more round wins for those with fast cars.
So there would be a direct correlation of people with faster cars in favor of fewer classes and those with slower cars opposed to fewer classes... Now, how would the classes be made fewer other than the combination of auto and stick?
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #35
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
Getting a lot of supportive emails. Please email Graham Light and Glen Gray your thoughts on this. Without the support of the racers they will not make changes.
I would but I don't believe at this point my limited knowlede of class would help anyone, I'm learning as much as I can. I do appreciate your efforts though.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #36
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
That happened to me during my first year racing Stock.
No body should ever be abusive.
but you were pounding the drum of no heads up and it would be a real race. People feel strongly about the performance end of our classes. When a bracket guy comes in and starts putting forward that adjenda, he is going to ( and should get some heat )
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #37
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
but you were pounding the drum of no heads up and it would be a real race. People feel strongly about the performance end of our classes. When a bracket guy comes in and starts putting forward that adjenda, he is going to ( and should get some heat )
I think I understand the performance part of it (how it use to be when you worked hard to get the performance and not just write a check for it). I only posted that because that's what I heard and still hear the most in the pits and staging lanes....is how to avoid a heads up race. I am all in favor of having class eliminations at events to reward those that can afford a fast car. I very much like having a class with stock appearing cars and that's one of the main reasons I got involved with Stock. I would have only been kidding myself if I thought I could afford to be competitive in heads up rounds. If you think Stock and Super Stock should be about performance, then they should change it back to running off indexes but I'd guess the classes would die in a hurry and I'm guessing that's why it was changed away from that. I know my thoughts are not worth much because I'm relatively new in Stock and I'm a "bracket guy" and that's OK. As near as I can figure it costs me an average of about $1,000.00 to participate at an NHRA Divisional or National event. If a heads up round costs me a couple races I'll be done with travelling very far, if at all to attend those events to race Stock. Either way I've very much enjoyed racing in Stock the last couple of years. I've met a LOT of great guys and girls doing it and will always treasure that. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:07 AM   #38
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

So does that mean anybody that has a fast car writes a check? I'd like to know who that might be? My car is not all world fast, but its respectable. I built and maintain 90% myself. I know there are many who do the same. People buy engines now a days, but they have done it for years. How much work do you do on your car?

Basically the guy who drove a car for someone that he had nothing to do with building or paying for it wanted to suggest changing the rules for fairness? Then accuses other racers of writing a check to make their car fast? What a joke, SMH.

Quote:
I think I understand the performance part of it (how it use to be when you worked hard to get the performance and not just write a check for it). I only posted that because that's what I heard and still hear the most in the pits and staging lanes....is how to avoid a heads up race. I am all in favor of having class eliminations at events to reward those that can afford a fast car. I very much like having a class with stock appearing cars and that's one of the main reasons I got involved with Stock. I would have only been kidding myself if I thought I could afford to be competitive in heads up rounds. If you think Stock and Super Stock should be about performance, then they should change it back to running off indexes but I'd guess the classes would die in a hurry and I'm guessing that's why it was changed away from that. I know my thoughts are not worth much because I'm relatively new in Stock and I'm a "bracket guy" and that's OK. As near as I can figure it costs me an average of about $1,000.00 to participate at an NHRA Divisional or National event. If a heads up round costs me a couple races I'll be done with travelling very far, if at all to attend those events to race Stock. Either way I've very much enjoyed racing in Stock the last couple of years. I've met a LOT of great guys and girls doing it and will always treasure that. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #39
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
So does that mean anybody that has a fast car writes a check? I'd like to know who that might be?
I would never say anyone with a fast car just writes a check but I do know many do.
Quote:
My car is not all world fast, but its respectable. I built and maintain 90% myself. I know there are many who do the same. People buy engines now a days, but they have done it for years. How much work do you do on your car?
All of it outside of machine work.

Quote:
Basically the guy who drove a car for someone that he had nothing to do with building or paying for it wanted to suggest changing the rules for fairness? Then accuses other racers of writing a check to make their car fast? What a joke, SMH.
And you're wrong. I done a lot of work to the car that I drove for someone else although I did not pay for it. I also NEVER suggested changing the class for fairness.

Last edited by Darrel Goheen; 06-07-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #40
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
The appeal of class to me is for the heads up.