HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal
Default National Championship and Grade Points.

Hello All
Just food for thought.
Is this the new norm?
7 & 8 grade points to get into a National event.
There goes the chance for the budget racer to even think about a National Championship.
I believe at one time a budget race could have done well at 5 Divisional and 3 Nationals events and came in the Top 10 or even win a National Championship.
Now a racer that normally goes to 5 or 6 divisional can't even get into a National event.
The traveling sportsman, Pro's will now have a better chance at winning a Championship.
How is this good for the Sportsman Racers?
Now I have nothing against the guys and gals that can go to 8 plus divisional, and 5 plus Nationals. Guys & Gals that race 2 cars at every race they go to get double the points! This is what they have choose to do, and can afford to do.

"But what about the little guy"?

I personly know, I most likely will never run for a National Championship, I will however hopefully be able to try and run for a Divisional Championship again someday.
(that is unless I hit the Lotto)

NHRA needs to figure out how to balance this situation out.

Should NHRA only allow racers from the National Events Home Division to enter for the 1st couple weeks at a lower grade point system?
Example Say they open up VMP to Division 1 racers with a grade point of 5 or 6 2 weeks before opening to all division at grade 8?
Could this help the local budget sportsman races, that can't travel more then 3 or 4 hours to race?

Just food for thought
Cal SST 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: National Championship and Grade Points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Hello All

Could this help the local budget sportsman races, that can't travel more then 3 or 4 hours to race?

Just food for thought
Cal SST 1177
This is not realistic for racers out west.
My closest Divisional race is 5 hours away.
That race is one I never go to due to the track being what it is.
The race tracks out west with Divisional and National races are very far apart, not like the East coast.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

And yet somehow guys like Jody Lang find a way. Don’t recall him ever going east of Boise. Definitely those in certain parts of the East have easier tows than many but where there’s a will there’s a way.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts

Seems like I remember seeing Jody at Indy a few years back.
He watches this forum so he may post to this thread.
I know he goes to Las Vegas regularly and it is only a 1100+ mile drive for him to Vegas.
1100 miles is only about a 20 to 24 hour drive with a big rig if you are the only driver.
Living out west is a long drive to all your races unless you live near one of the tracks that hosts a National or Divisional race. Some of my Canadian friends have it even worse.
Just a big disadvantage for those with a job.
Just My 2 Cents
Rick Cates
Canyon, TX and retired.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

It does appear that this is the new normal. At least on the east side of the country and any of the popular events out west. NHRA is not interested in the "little guy" as you can tell by the new quotas. Chances of me ever running a national event again are slim unless something changes. I did want one of those national event Walley's before I hang it up. I am going to try to get 8 GP this year. I had 7 last year and got shut out of the gators this year that is close to home for me. I guess I will try Atlanta but the quota is only 45 cars in SS there.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Mike Gray

Liked 497 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Guys & Gals that race 2 cars at every race they go to get double the points!
If this is true, I see that other tread about a rent-a-racer being more useful. I can see SS guys putting one in stock but what about the guys running stock. I doubt there are any rentals that might tech in SS?
Do they really get two grade points for two cars?
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #7
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
If this is true, I see that other tread about a rent-a-racer being more useful. I can see SS guys putting one in stock but what about the guys running stock. I doubt there are any rentals that might tech in SS?
Do they really get two grade points for two cars?
Yep, each tech card is worth a grade point. But if you are entering a national event with 2 cars, you need to have enough grade points with each car.

You can combine them, but then you can only enter one class and you can't ration them out as you see fit. Example: I have 2 cars and have 3 grade points for each. I can enter one class as a Grade 6 or two cars at Grade 3, but I can't divide them and use 4 in the higher demand class and then enter as a 2 in another class.
Liked
Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,587 Times in 1,281 Posts

Actually the new norm is probably 8 grade points for every Nat. Event. Stock and SS are not for everyone...seems as though every change squeezes the little guy out even more, and that is what the bean counters want.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #9
Mike Gray

Liked 497 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Yep, each tech card is worth a grade point. But if you are entering a national event with 2 cars, you need to have enough grade points with each car.

You can combine them, but then you can only enter one class and you can't ration them out as you see fit. Example: I have 2 cars and have 3 grade points for each. I can enter one class as a Grade 6 or two cars at Grade 3, but I can't divide them and use 4 in the higher demand class and then enter as a 2 in another class.
So 4 division races with 2 cars gets you 8 grade points for 1 car at a National event.
Why not enter the tow vehicle in super street at each division race, just like buying 4 grade point.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
So 4 division races with 2 cars gets you 8 grade points for 1 car at a National event.
Why not enter the tow vehicle in super street at each division race, just like buying 4 grade point.
You could do that if the tow vehicle could pass tech and meet the safety rules. You wouldn’t even have to run it