Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #91
BG56

Liked 276 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: Make the Chevrolet Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schilling View Post
Is anyone who has been around the sport for any length of time really surprised all of this is happening? Deja vu all over again.
Nope, and Yep!
BG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #92
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

My earlier comment was not a poor attempt at sarcasm; it was just sarcasm... period. If in your mind, it was a poor attempt, I can't help ya.

Also, in my earlier post, I did imply that "no expense spared" cars are hurting Stock (and, to some degree, Super Stock). Your response is that if I spent more on the car and less on the motorhome, there wouldn't be the problems there are today. I absolutely get your point, but respectfully disagree.

My point was not that it is relevant how a racer's money is apportioned; it was, rather, that very few people ever actually expected the day where a National Event-competitive Stocker would cost $150,000+, and outfits like Elite and DSR would be involved in building and racing such cars.

Sportsman racing is slowly, but steadily, moving to nothing more than a varied selection of professional classes, and just like with Econo-Dragster and Econo-Altered (from decades ago), the concept of building and having fun with a reasonably-priced, relatively low-tech Stocker is almost gone.

The argument that it is somehow "noble" to spend all of your money on the car doesn't wash. People who have the inside track will always have access to things you and I won't ever have access to, regardless of how much our motorhome cost. Millionaire schmucks can have it all, and because they're millionaires, they can "buy" access to people and technologies we can't. We kill flies with our hands; they kill flies with atom bombs.

My overall point is that it's a shame that the days where racer commitment and ingenuity were the primary measures of success are virtually gone. Need better heads? Buy 'em! Need to spend a few thousand dollars to develop better heads? Write that check! Need a completely state-of-the-art chassis? Buy it! Need access to the GM wind tunnel? Call your buddy who can arrange it! Need to rent a track to test for a couple of days? Get your wallet out!

Yes, my nice motorhome probably is a luxury that could be forgone for the sake of a couple of tenths, but if I flat-towed my car to the track with my daily driver, I could never out-spend the individuals (and corporations) that have literally limitless funding and access to brilliant engineering and testing.

I never said that wasn't a reality of today's drag racing; I just said it's a shame.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #93
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

In response to the above post (not quoting for space reasons), how does any of that take away from your experience? Race what you want to race and can afford, and go have fun!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #94
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
In response to the above post (not quoting for space reasons), how does any of that take away from your experience? Race what you want to race and can afford, and go have fun!

A simple and completely valid point. Thanks.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #95
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,784 Times in 1,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
Race what you want to race and can afford, and go have fun!
There ya have it!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #96
bubski

Liked 186 Times in 63 Posts

1998 Larry Kopp n Jenkins tear into first season of pro stock truck with the Grumps knowledge of engines and Larrys years of experience running a stick shift combo and win the championship . that deal was probably a 6 figure season. The following season people with literally truck loads of money show up 7 figures by my estimation and pro stock truck is on its deathbed by 2002. History is repeating itself here as well . The people on the top at first who were there from the beginning cause this is the cause they championed and got the class they fought for are now gonna get trampled by the rich that just wanna come in n have some fun and spend some money. How on earth could anyone believe this class would not turn into a fiasco in record time is disturbing !!
bubski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #97
Randy Taylor 42

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Its really disturbing that this class is failing. 11 entries for St Louis. We have busted our *** to get where we are at now and now the class looks uncertain. I agree with Brett why cant we just get along and make more of a effort to make this class survive! NHRA is making a effort to make it competitive for all of us. When the car count starts dropping NHRA will give up on this class. All the racers that do compete in this class have to admit its a blast. Heads up racing with no breakout or worry about your index getting hit is awesome. I realize its not a cheap class but reality its the cheapest heads up class there is in NHRA.
Randy Taylor 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #98
troublemaker427

Liked 65 Times in 23 Posts

I find this class far from a fiasco... 25+ cars showing up on a regular basis for 16 spots doesn't look like a fiasco to me. Growing pains maybe but fiasco?
troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #99
troublemaker427

Liked 65 Times in 23 Posts

There is a NMCA race the same weekend as St.Louis NHRA. There are only so many FS/XX cars to go around. 16+ cars pre-entered over there.

Last edited by troublemaker427; 09-12-2018 at 08:36 PM.
troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #100
Stephen Bell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There will be 32-38 “shootout” cars racing next weekend! The NMCA and NHRA race are on top of each other. There are ten or more racers that race both series. People chasing points in both sanctioning bodies are forced to make decisions. Turk, Watson, and Liebersher cars are in close points battle in NMCA. Barton, Gasko, Welch, and Skillman are going to St. Louis but not signed up yet. Skinner is thrashing to get his engine back together. Bad planning? Yes! Class dying? Doesn’t sound like it to me? Are their problems? Could it go away if we don’t address some issues? Yes! Outside of Pro Mod is there another class that can have full fields at two races the same weekend?

Just Saying....
S.Bell
Stephen Bell is offline   Reply With Quote