Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
Dave Gantz

Liked 226 Times in 118 Posts
Default Re: The Future Of Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I'm beginning to think that the NHRA would rather just run ET-2. They don't need any knowledgeable personnel to run it.
That's been my opinion for a while now. If the new regime feels they are running a business (not a "club" catering to it's members, providing detailed tech for just about any combo), why would anyone running a business want to deal with the intricacies of the current, aging, soon to be obsolete "antiques" that are now being run?
They're probably trying to find a way to kill Stock and replace it with a bracket of some kind without pissing off too many people and losing the participation, i.e. money.
I've loved Stock since I was a kid (I'm 58), but I can understand when something has outlived it's usefulness.

Edit: I was a partner on a car for 3 years in the 90's. I wouldn't get involved again, the way things have devolved.

Last edited by Dave Gantz; 04-17-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #22
Paradigm Shift

Liked 80 Times in 29 Posts

Certainly Billy is absolutely correct. They abhor the requirement to technically police this class considering the near endless permutations.

You don't need much of an imagination to recite the conversations among NHRA directors regarding Stock.

Your use of the term "club" is an appropriate one Dave.

I never had the inclination to think that NHRA is all that concerned about pissing off its customers. They grouse but obviously continue to show up.

The future of NHRA Stock is inauspicious to be sure and certainly for more reasons than one.

Now, make the case and create a list illustrating your need of the NHRA.

Paradigm Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #23
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, I am just a fan and not a racer so my skin in the game is a little different. First off I agree with combining the classes, to see heads up between the two would be great. Think crate motors would help with younger racres that like classracing, but want to run a different motor and dosent like the super classes. Perhaps if Nhra went after the manufacturer's that would help the class and the companies, since part sales is a gold mine.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #24
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,789 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skills View Post
Perhaps if Nhra went after the manufacturer's that would help the class and the companies, since part sales is a gold mine.
NHRA doesn't want the "Manufacturers" ( car,parts,pizza) spending their monies on the Sportsmen. They want them spending it on the pros. They can charge them far more monies and expend far less effort using far less people.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

james perrone;532352 mark why is it always about you not able to go to national events with 1 or 2 grade points? Its not reality .

(James, this thread is about getting more stockers to participate, either new ones ,or ones that are not being raced. There used to be 100+ car quotas at Vegas for class races.Now there is not)

you want to go to old system where a soft car is king .

(No, I want to go to a system where classes we already have are fully represented)

oh we have that already fsss

(Not the answer.Too expensive for the average working guy)

please go racing already or move east young man .

( I've raced in five divisions now. Moving back to div 1 doesn't solve anything. They have a huge amount of cars there, and ridiculously low quotas too. )

i'm about to go 700 miles
for divisional race i have a grade 8 i'm good.

( All ideas are certainly welcome here, but that's yours, for getting more participation in Stock Eliminator? Thanks)

MY

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 04-17-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #26
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

The Future of Stock lies in new blood...

Having the Manufactures send in the Specs on the New Cars so they can be adopted into Pure Stock.
Think is will bring a lot of new kids in who can afford these hotrods.
Remember the tracks in the early 70's were packed.

For the new cars suggest Bolt on Mods...
No mods under the Valve Covers...
Headers, Mufflers, Tune, Converter, Tires..
No Roll Bar, NO Race Fuel..
Most of the new hotrods run well into the 11's, 12's and 13's in Stock form.

Lot of racers would love to buy one of these new rods and run Pure Stock.
IHRA just does not have the depth to handle this influx.
Too hard to get specs from the manufacturers.

Know there is a huge market for the new generation Chevy SS, Camaros, Dodges Demon and Fords who want to compete against each other.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #27
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy, I understand what your saying, but getting the manufactures in would be a win for everybody involved. The pros can't fill their fields now, because their isn't enought sponsor dollars to go around. Nhra missed the target with all access also. Show Sunday live online, maybe do a sportsmen Internet show. Follow a class racer for a year, say the Fletcher family. People love that stuff look at street outlwas and all the car shows. You have to show people there is more than just nitro going on. Stock needs more options for young people to race. Perhaps find a sponsor for stock/ super stock and up the payouts. Pay for number 1 qualifier, and class records. Pay for best appearing car and crew. Even if it is say 250 bucks that is something. People want to feel wanted and will show up. Push the entries back to 90-100 cars, yet the show prove itself.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Wow I can't believe that everybody missed it........................

NHRA does not want Stock & Super Stock Eliminator to survive......

NHRA sets quota that are so low that the quota in itself eliminates heads up runs...

If NHRA sets a quota of 65 cars in an eliminator that contains 67 different classes how can we hope to have heads up racing....

It appears that NHRA has a plan and Stock Eliminator is not part of that plan...

If NHRA had an interest in undoing the damage that they have done with not allowing Stock & Super Stock to race because they are unable to gain entry to National events, they could undo it with the stroke of their pen or keyboard....

NHRA just has to open the entry up to ALL Stock & Super Stock class cars that have at least 1 grade point. The reason for the 1 grade point is get the NEW racers trained in NHRA procedures...

It appears that NHRA only cares about the timing of their TV dog and pony show and Stock & Super Stock are nothing more than a minor inconvenience..

The racers want Stock & Super Stock but NHRA doesn't....

I don't know how to fix this but it appears that the problem is caused by, and can only be fixed by NHRA....

Maybe grass roots will take over and we will re-start after NHRA goes under...
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #29
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
Wow I can't believe that everybody missed it........................

NHRA does not want Stock & Super Stock Eliminator to survive......

NHRA sets quota that are so low that the quota in itself eliminates heads up runs...

If NHRA sets a quota of 65 cars in an eliminator that contains 67 different classes how can we hope to have heads up racing....

It appears that NHRA has a plan and Stock Eliminator is not part of that plan...

If NHRA had an interest in undoing the damage that they have done with not allowing Stock & Super Stock to race because they are unable to gain entry to National events, they could undo it with the stroke of their pen or keyboard....

NHRA just has to open the entry up to ALL Stock & Super Stock class cars that have at least 1 grade point. The reason for the 1 grade point is get the NEW racers trained in NHRA procedures...

It appears that NHRA only cares about the timing of their TV dog and pony show and Stock & Super Stock are nothing more than a minor inconvenience..

The racers want Stock & Super Stock but NHRA doesn't....

I don't know how to fix this but it appears that the problem is caused by, and can only be fixed by NHRA....

Maybe grass roots will take over and we will re-start after NHRA goes under...
I disagree, we for now are a necessary evil. They need us to pay the bills and until something else comes along they must have us along with the other sportsman classes to find the rest of the circus. No sportsman would end the whole thing and they are not that foolish.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #30
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
The Future of Stock lies in new blood...

Having the Manufactures send in the Specs on the New Cars so they can be adopted into Pure Stock.
Think is will bring a lot of new kids in who can afford these hotrods.
Remember the tracks in the early 70's were packed.

For the new cars suggest Bolt on Mods...
No mods under the Valve Covers...
Headers, Mufflers, Tune, Converter, Tires..
No Roll Bar, NO Race Fuel..
Most of the new hotrods run well into the 11's, 12's and 13's in Stock form.

Lot of racers would love to buy one of these new rods and run Pure Stock.
IHRA just does not have the depth to handle this influx.
Too hard to get specs from the manufacturers.

Know there is a huge market for the new generation Chevy SS, Camaros, Dodges Demon and Fords who want to compete against each other.

D
Daniel, Are you going to be the one to tell these kids they can't change the pulleys or throttle bodies? LOL

Seriously though, these guys are used to leaving home on a Friday afternoon, and being home the same night.
Wait till they find out how much it costs to play with NHRA.
Fact of the matter, as stated by Bob M., they don't want these cars at national meets.

"No time, ..No time..got, got, got no time..."