HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Slow Trans Brake Release

I have a Turbo 400 manual valve body transmission with a Trans Brake. My problem is that when I release the thumb switch that is connected to the trans brake solenoid, there is a .5 to .75 second delay before the car actually moves. The switch is not hooked up to any delay box, it is wired directly to the trans brake solenoid. I tried activating the switch with the engine not running but with the electrical power on, and I can hear the solenoid does release as soon as I let go of the switch. Any ideas as to why this is happening?
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
drgrcr1156

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Slow Trans Brake Release

Unfortunately, the TH400 release is slow with the cast iron valve bodies due to the passage lengths the fluid has to go through. You should be able to leave good with a .500 tree though. The new CNC machined aluminum valve bodies are much quicker since they reroute the passages and other upgrades with internal solenoids. I race a TH400 in SG and have a Griner Valve body which was one of the first to offer machined aluminum and is the only way to go with a .400 tree. Still not as fast as a poweglide but some of that may be the car set up.

Bob
drgrcr1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 699 Times in 203 Posts
Default Re: Slow Trans Brake Release

is that a typo, .5 to .75 and not .05 to .075?
All TH400 valvebodies that use the modulator valve are notoriously slow and can be effected by a binding release valve.
If you are serious about racing on a Pro tree with a 400 , or even just being consistant on the full tree , the Griner brake is the ONLY choice.
I've used and sold them for at least 25 years and there is none better.
Plus the normal 4-500 RPM lag on the 1-2 shift is gone ,the shift is instant.