HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #1
Pony Pilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bedding-In Disk Brake Pads

Since the weather's been bad the last couple weeks, I thought I'd do some maintenance on the race car. It's been 3 years since I front-halfed the car, so I began by just wanting to re-pack my front wheel bearings. In the process I found my brake rotors moderately to severely grooved with small metal burrs imbedded in the rotors. Additionally, the faces of the pads appeared to have chunks and chips broken out of them. I called the manufacturer of the brakes (Wilwood), who said I didn't bed them in properly. He also said the burrs were probably pieces of the pad imbedded in the steel rotor. I listened to the tech guy explain how to bed them in, but I was just wondering 1) has anyone else seen anything like I described above.?, 2) Is 3 years about all I should expect to get out of a pair of 0.83-inch steel rotors and pads?, and 3) Do any of you any better ways or ideas on how to do this better, faster, or more effectively? From what the tech guy told me, it sounds like I need to get access to the track a couple hours and just do laps hitting the brakes until can smell the pads burning? These are Dynalite II calipers with BP-10/150-8850K pads. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Pony Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
S/ST J718

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bedding-In Disk Brake Pads

I have a 2 piston kit on the front . When installed I did do a lot of driving around the pits , not a couple of hours. Also I never smelled the pads, after about 4 gallons of alky I pulled both front wheels and did a inspection of rotors and pads. Then made a few 1/8 mile hits on a 1/4 track, they felt good as far as pedal pressure. I inspected one more time after that and been good since. I have replace pads once going the same procedure and may be due again. I just wanted to give you my procedure , wish I had more than that for you.. Nick
Old 01-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Bedding-In Disk Brake Pads

When I installed the disc brakes on my car Aerospace recommended a bedding in process. I did some speed up slow down to get the brakes warmed up. Since then I have changed the pads and just put them on and went racing. No difference in the way that the brakes work. One note is to check the brake pads on regular intervals to make sure that they are not getting a taper. They will drag like crazy if they get too much taper.