HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #81
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Bracket Racing vs Class Racing

Gotcha! It would be very time consuming to build a complete base calibration for an engine like that. Can be done. I'm not surprised there is no base tune for it included with the CalMap. You won't find better help than Mr Josey, if he has, and you can afford, his time. I tuned some CalMap cars, several years ago. I really like FAST XFI best.

I would be more prone to tune the factory computer in your case. Biggest reason I changed was the factory computer my car uses can't trigger the injectors past 7000 RPM. Like hitting a rev limiter. The FAST XFI in my race car came with several base tunes as well. V8s, of course. LOL

I hope you can find an answer.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #82
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Smile Re: Bracket Racing vs Class Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Gotcha! It would be very time consuming to build a complete base calibration for an engine like that. Can be done. I'm not surprised there is no base tune for it included with the CalMap. You won't find better help than Mr Josey, if he has, and you can afford, his time. I tuned some CalMap cars, several years ago. I really like FAST XFI best.

I would be more prone to tune the factory computer in your case. Biggest reason I changed was the factory computer my car uses can't trigger the injectors past 7000 RPM. Like hitting a rev limiter. The FAST XFI in my race car came with several base tunes as well. V8s, of course. LOL

I hope you can find an answer.
I was at the awards ceremony yesterday for the Arizona Stock/ Super Stock Association series, and I think the guys name was Bill Nelson, who tunes Harry Doolittle's car, and either he or this shop I spoke about here in Queen Creek called Bartling Enterprise Inc., can definitely improve my cars performance with or without headers, although I'd still like to have them someday....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #83
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

Bill and Harry are both sharp people that like to make power.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:51 AM   #84
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Bill Nelson is a sharp guy. Would be a good one to work with.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #85
StockerStang912

Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

Gary - we have the Calmap software that I can burn a copy and send to you. To your earlier point, had to navigate through a bunch of different resources to track down a guy in Alabama a couple years ago as there's not exactly a lot floating around.

The internal data logger doesn't work very well, but if you can get your hands on one (mfgs like Zeitronix are really affordable and easy to install) it can help you understand where you're at with the current tuneup.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:50 PM   #86
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Lightbulb Re: Bracket Racing vs Class Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockerStang912 View Post
Gary - we have the Calmap software that I can burn a copy and send to you. To your earlier point, had to navigate through a bunch of different resources to track down a guy in Alabama a couple years ago as there's not exactly a lot floating around.

The internal data logger doesn't work very well, but if you can get your hands on one (mfgs like Zeitronix are really affordable and easy to install) it can help you understand where you're at with the current tuneup.
Thanks, and if you would PM me and I'll send you my mailing address for that software copy.

All of this is good, but it just dawned on me that power wasn't my problem in 'Vegas last month, it was tire spin that caused me to lose a probably winnable race in rnd 1. This was the second time in three seasons at that track that I lost a winnable race to tire spin (2015 rnd #2 was the other one)! My engine produces enough torque now, that those 20x6x14 M/T slicks can't handle them without either multiple dry hops, or going through the water and doing burnouts again (I stopped because they don't make those or even the better 20x8x14 slicks anymore). What I need to do before I enhance the tuning of my engine, is get wider slicks, so that's on my Christmas wish list. M/T makes a 22" slick that's 8"s wide, so hopefully they'll fit on my current 13x6 rear wheels and I'll switch them around with the fronts for the better traction. That's priority #1!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #87
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,585 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
Thanks, and if you would PM me and I'll send you my mailing address for that software copy.

All of this is good, but it just dawned on me that power wasn't my problem in 'Vegas last month, it was tire spin that caused me to lose a probably winnable race in rnd 1. This was the second time in three seasons at that track that I lost a winnable race to tire spin (2015 rnd #2 was the other one)! My engine produces enough torque now, that those 20x6x14 M/T slicks can't handle them without either multiple dry hops, or going through the water and doing burnouts again (I stopped because they don't make those or even the better 20x8x14 slicks anymore). What I need to do before I enhance the tuning of my engine, is get wider slicks, so that's on my Christmas wish list. M/T makes a 22" slick that's 8"s wide, so hopefully they'll fit on my current 13x6 rear wheels and I'll switch them around with the fronts for the better traction. That's priority #1!
You need to pitch this to a reality show, you just can't make this **** up.......
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #88
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Thumbs down Re: Bracket Racing vs Class Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
You need to pitch this to a reality show, you just can't make this **** up.......
Hah, hah, if you were in the other lane, I'd make sure my tires had the proper grip, and then do my damned well best to send you packing after we raced!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #89
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

Quote:
Hah, hah, if you were in the other lane, I'd make sure my tires had the proper grip, and then do my damned well best to send you packing after we raced!
Dreaming......? Maybe Santa will put some slicks under your package / tree. Hah Lol
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #90
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,585 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
Merry Xmas to you too, pal.......
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote