HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Compressor filter/dryer

The compressor has been winched up to the attic and set in place. It's in the garage portion of the attic at the furthest point away from the "house" portion separated by a fire wall. I have also hung additional insulation to absorb and deaden the sound. At some point, I will put a sound wall up to help deaden the noise even more. For the most part, the compressor does not run often - or late either.

To address the moisture and condensation, I am plumbing a separate line and dump valve from the bottom of the tank into the garage and either dump it in a container or outside. I will have the main line run off the top of the tank/regulator, plumbed through the ceiling into the garage and into a distribution manifold where I will have 3 lines around the garage. Each outlet has a moisture valve where I can purge moisture if necessary.

It is not fully complete yet, but it is more quiet in the house now when the compressor is running than when it was in the garage. Waiting on a few more pieces to complete the system, then I will finish plumbing the lines.

Now I have more room in the garage! This was the whole intent of moving the compressor and hanging ceiling racks over the garage door for storage. I constructed a workbench on heavy-duty hinges that I can fold up when not in use - so I can park the 2nd car in the garage - as it was designed. When the compressor project is completed the next project is epoxy paint on the floor. I have already ran electric throughout including new T8 lights, hung drywall and paint. The final project is to put in nice aluminum cabinets - this will be accomplished years down the road after tuition bills have been paid...
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Saran View Post
I have to ask, if you install your air compressor up in the attic how are you
going to drain the air/moisture out of the tank after each days use??

It may take a few years, but I have seen what happens to a air tank if not
drained on a regular basis, lots of pinholes in the tank, not repairable...
Philip,
I do not think I explained my post very well with the blow down. The correct approach would be to have a separate pipe directly out of the bottom of the tank, along with the supply pipe. The blowdown out of the bottom of the tank would have a ball valve on it and 1/4" copper piped outside. If the air compressor is used alot, then you could install a timed blowdown solenoid. These are 120V units and plug into an outlet, all commercial pneumatic systems that we install or service has them. It takes the maintenance staff out of the picture for the system filling with water and ruining thousands of dollars of equipment, and someone on the operating table to be in jeopardy.

As for the noise and shaking issue. Spring isolators would be my suggestion.

Hopefully this makes more sense!

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...psfe75ea0d.jpg

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Sean Marconette

Liked 160 Times in 56 Posts

Ronnie,
I meant to send you a picture like I just made in the previous post, but it sounds like it is coming together very well!

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote