HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Dirk Olson

Liked 126 Times in 33 Posts
Default Re: cost of stock/super stock racing?

I am afriad to admit how much I have in my B/S. Went from S/G to Stock back in 99 and having a ton more fun, also have spent a lot of money. I do all of own stuff, motors, trans, gears, etc. When I started out I had somelse do the motors to be legal, just got too expensive.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone think that Nhra would let in class sponsors like pro mod? Say stock/super stock have its own national sponsor to push up the money for wins or records? It would be a new way to bring in revenue, with the new cars and maybe new fans. With srt out nascar they could spend less money and get a large amount of exposure and probably business that way.
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

SS Engine Guy, I just printed that reply out and posted it on my toolbox. Great advice.
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #24
mtkawboy

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

Having raced in the Junior Stock era and into the 80s I would advise buying a drag tape, a paper shredder and a box of $20 bills. Play the tape as loud as you can and feed the $20 bills into the paper shredder until you run out or the urge to race passes. The cost of racing today is insane but I do enjoy checking up on a buddy, Bill Dyer, that still does. I personally am not healthy or wealthy enough at this time, but I had the time of my life with a $600 total investment P/S 59 Biscayne 283/185 4 speed in 1966 at the age of 22 and an old stock car engine builder as a mentor. Other opinions may vary
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

Some good advice so far on here. Lets see if I can't screw that up

Where a lot of people make their mistakes is not forming an operating budget, a cost of doing business if you will. Cost to build a car is one thing and in a lot of cases is actually the cheapest part. The actual cost of racing and maintaining said vehicle is commonly overlooked and is the reason why most either stop racing or are flashes in the pan.
Items like fuel for car and tow vehicle, lodging, food, wear items like clutches/brakes/tires/oil, parts breakage, R&D, testing, entry fees, time away from family/work/business, parts refreshening and/or replacement. It's pretty easy to spend $6,000-$24,000(or beyond) in a year of racing not including buying the car/rig/trailor. Be sure to spend the money where it needs to be spent.

If a person is a car guy first then they should build a car that they actually like and are familiar with. Otherwise it's much easier to become disinterested and frustrated with the whole thing. It takes dedication to build a class specific car.

Don't become distracted from your own program by always worrying about what so and so is doing. Getting immersed in politics is a sure fire way to take you eye off the ball. And worse yet if a person hasn't made the commitment to build a car for a class do not start reading up on all the BS politics going on or that will discourage you.(instantly if you feel your getting the raw end, or over time because you get tired of hearing the whining).

Do not use debt as a tool for anything. Especially on racing and race cars. The monthly payments is what makes longterm harder and harder and also a makes it easier to overspend on items.

The more you can do on your own the cheaper it can be. (Be careful as your time is worth money also. 300-1,000 or how many ever hours at the shop are hours away from working or running the business on the financial side and away from family on the personal side) working on your own stuff has a certain amount of gratification to it also and can be a lot of fun and a bonding experience.

Make a plan. Write it down. On paper On purpose.
(Do not sacrifice your future or your families well being for anything. Take care of the household first and foremost.)

Last note: Some classes are perceived as "Entry level". And though this is true as being entry level to class specific racing. It is not entry level for a new drag racer. Entry level to the sport is the test and tunes and local bracket races. I wanted to go class racing after only a few Test and Tunes under my belt. Big mistake on my part as I learned quickly how much I didn't know(and some things I still don't know). The learning curve in class racing is steep. I started seeing everything that went on behind the scenes and you quickly gain a whole new respect for those people that are racing and have been racing for years. (And the 2nd thing that blows you away is the camaraderie in most people's cases)
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822

Last edited by D.Johns; 10-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
Steve Williams

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The cost of racing today is the same as it was 30 years ago. Everything you got and then some on occasion.
Steve Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkawboy View Post
Having raced in the Junior Stock era and into the 80s I would advise buying a drag tape, a paper shredder and a box of $20 bills. Play the tape as loud as you can and feed the $20 bills into the paper shredder until you run out or the urge to race passes. The cost of racing today is insane but I do enjoy checking up on a buddy, Bill Dyer, that still does. I personally am not healthy or wealthy enough at this time, but I had the time of my life with a $600 total investment P/S 59 Biscayne 283/185 4 speed in 1966 at the age of 22 and an old stock car engine builder as a mentor. Other opinions may vary
Great one. Many years ago, I had someone approach me and ask if I had ever made any money racing? I commented back, "Yes", but never made near as much as I spent!

Another comment I once made. A guy asked me what I thought it would cost him to go racing. He was starting from scratch. I simply said, "go up to the parking lot, find the biggest car with the largest trunk, fill it with $100 bills, empty it a few times". Then you might be ready to start.

I've yet to participate in a hobby that didn't cost. Having quit this hobby in 1988. I've done a few things over the years before slowly edging my way back. I was involved in historical reenacting and black powder shooting for about 15 years. If you want a lesson in hobby economics, if my wife is close by, just ask her about a suit of clothes I had made for the 1812 time period sometime? I can certainly say, racing hasn't gotten cheaper in the last 25 or so years.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #28
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Robert,can that 1812 suit double as fire suit?
I like D. Johns and SS engine guy's post we think a like,not borrowing money for anything to racing is why my stuff sets alot of the time,there is the chance you could pull off that big win you need to pay it off,but you might win the lottery too? My car sits it does'nt cost anything .

Trying to race beyond your means is something I have seen alot of people do,now they are'nt racing,pulling or fill in the blank and some lost everything they had,business,wife,home etc., over there hobby that took over their life.

It is better to race within your means even if it means you are running your daily driver at least you are getting to race.

Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
Robert,can that 1812 suit double as fire suit?

Mike Taylor 3601

Good one Mike. Yeah, could do my best Rickey Bobby in it!

On serious note. Agree, one has to stay within ones means. Like any hobby, it's easy to spend money. Now, with the state of my personal economy, you have to try and spend money in the right places.

When we quit in 1988, my rig was an 85 Ford F350 single cab dually and an old open trailer. The trend toward everyone having crewcabs and enclosed trailers was becoming the norm. Now that's a common rig! I now have an 03 Ford F350 crewcab but still use an open trailer. I do want an enclosed trailer, until I can pony up the funds to buy one outright, my flatbed open trailer will do.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #30
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
The cost of racing today is the same as it was 30 years ago. Everything you got and then some on occasion.
Relatively speaking....you're correct Steve. BUT I do remember pump gas (for your
hauler) being at about $1 a gallon....and C12 running around $4 a gallon locally back
then.

When going to a distant track...I wondered how they could get away charging $4.50...or
even $5 for the very same gas....

I know we're talking nickels and dimes here...but that's the way I've always felt...

Ah the good 'ol days!....
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote