HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Mike Mayhew
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JUNE 6 1944

My Dad was on Omaha beach on D-Day. (Their battalion got the Presidential Citation for that day ). My dad's outfit was one of the first to enter Paris. He wrote they entered on August 25th, and it was a thrilling experience.
I'm sure some of your all's dads or relatives might have been there too.
If anyone is interested I have uploaded an original bulletin that was sent to America from England on that day.
I have a huge scrapbook of money from all the country's in Europe my dad walked thru. Swastika pins, Some German Hitler propaganda papers, Some Hitler youth pins and tons of German artifacs from WWII. Very interesting. Some of the letters that my mom got were very insightful of what they went thru in foxholes every night and etc.
If anyone is interested in history, and WWII, you might enjoy seeing this :

Photo

Photo

Mike ( madness & ) Mayhem

Mike Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Father Time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike, That surely was and is the GREATEST CENERATION, without a doubt.
[:-cheers-:]

Father Time
Father Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts

Hey, that's cool!
I got to visit Normandy, walked on the beach and a few other historical locations about 17-18 years ago. It was winter, decent weather, no snow, but all the museums were closed. There were a lot of outside exhibits - tanks, artillery pieces, pill boxes, etc. Visited a few cemetaries, including a Polish one. Found a last name on a tombstone that also belonged to a racer from Orlando and snapped a pic. It turned out not to be a relative, but he said it was weird to see. (I think he ran Stock also but I forgot his name now!)

Thank you to your dad and all who fought.

Locomotion Racing
http://www.geocities.com/locomotionracing
Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Sean Haning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Sean Haning

Those sound like great artifacts for sure. For some reason the propaganda that was dropped onto the streets always piqued my interest for some reason. Plus theres no better way to learn the 100% real history than with actual artifacts from the era. Thanks for sharing.

Sean

Black Box Racing
Old 06-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
John Warehime

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

My dad went into the Navy and got married in 1944. We salute those who served.

John Warehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
roadrunnerrunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First Thanks to ALL VETERANS on this solemn day. Living or Dead,they deservr praise.The most difficult operation in the Military is a hostile beachhead landing. It took more guts than I have . I was stationed in Germany during the cold war,a mere 20 years after the war. Upon visiting Paris, I saw some French women placing fresh flowers at the memorial to the U S Soldiers who helped liberate France. The Memorial is an eternal Flame and a brass likeness of the shoulder patch worn at that time.The Patch was called the Flaming Sword I ,too wore this patch. I think of it every time I get angry with the French......Remembering that, like ALL nations and peoples,There are many good ones. I was told not too long ago, that the Flame still burns there in Gay Paree.,right under the Arch de Triomph. Well, thanks Mike , I enjoyed it. Even if the F------ French have forgotten this grand deed . I have not, Your Friend, Roadrunnerrunner

roadrunnerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #7
Zino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, Mike thanks so much for posting this. This really makes all the ranting over NHRA, and class racing seem preposterous. I agree 100% width the other posts as well. There is absolutely no argument whatsoever, that was the GREATEST GENERATION, the name fits. Just an amazing time in history and amazing people. If I had one chance to take a time machine back in time, there is no question I would pick the 40?s. Men were men. Strong men, brave men and real men who spoke their feelings and had thick skin. Men who worked hard for a living and were proud. And while those men were off fighting for the very freedom of the world, the women went to work doing man's work. And they did it damn well too. Rosie the riveter was as key a part to the war effort as the soldiers? themselves. It was a strong, and proud time for America. The ?men? of generation x, or y or whatever the hell it is were are up to now, would be well advised to read up on that era and take some lessons......

And roadrunner, you are right, I feel the same way.. I like to think I could muster the strength and courage to put on a good fight in battle, even a close quarters fire-fight. But a beachhead landing is just as terrifying as it gets... I get goosebumps thinking about it. I really don?t know if I could do it. Those were God-Damn strong, amazing men.

Thank You, Veterans !!!

Kevin P. Panzino
GT/FA 1202

Zino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

If you make it to New Orleans DON'T MISS the D-Day Museum !!
It's humbling and will touch your heart for all those that were involved.
I plan to go again this summer....

John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts

I had two uncles in the navy and army (sherman tank driver)at the time, both with great stories and alot of respect for the germans who I was told were tough SOB's. I also have two customers that were in the war and still with us today. One piloted a Higgins boat on Dday and is a member of his LST organization and the other was a B25 pilot and was shot down only to be helped by the underground to return to his forces and fly a total of 42 missions ( before the Memphis Belle rule went into effect). As I was told by them it was a different time. They didn't know what lay ahead you just did what you were told. Great guys during tough times.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts

Oh and forgot to mention that the Higgins boat pilot takes offense when it's mentioned that many boat pilots dropped their men off way too early to escape the fire. He actually had his boat take a hit and disabled only to wait on the beach under fire for 3 hours until he could get on a boat that was empty and heading back to pick up more troops. Later as the troops advanced he ran supplies up the Rhine river often shot at by German fighters.