HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
BRIAN SEATE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My grandfather landed on Utah beach on D-DAY. These men are truly the reason we are free. We lost him in 2002, but his memory will be with us forever. I salute all veterans and I am grateful to live in a free land.

BRIAN SEATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for posting. That was great!!! Have an uncle who collects and studies WWII stuff like we study drag racing. I forwarded to him what you posted. He has a collection that is unbelievable to see. Sadly, when he goes, his kids will probably put everything on E-bay to sell.

Todd
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
Mike Mayhew
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Todd, I can e-mail your uncle the documents and they will look a little better. One racer saw this and ask me if it came off of a website that he might go to. This is an original document that is in this scrapbook. I scanned it and photobucketed it. My mom was a REAL scrapbook person. She was a secretary all of her life and I believe worked as a civillion in a gov. office in WWII. When the wire came over she snaged it up after it was read. The news was the story, not the paper it came on, but it got in our scrapbook.

I have tons of coin and paper $ from countries that aren't even countries any more. With notes under each as to the value. Notes such as under the Luxemburg francs, showing that in 1943 they were minted in America.
Under the German Mark, she writes.....WORTHLESS. lol ( written in 1945 ).

My dad like most never talked about the war. I was too young and busy chasing girls and hotrodding to ask. But my mom told me much after he passed away, and the scrapbooks are unbelievable. The only thing I ever heard him say was one time he said there was absolutley no reason he should have lived thru it.
Thats how they all were though isn't it.

Mike ( madness & ) Mayhem

Mike Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #24
Todd Bailey

Mike,

I will e-mail him and ask. I kid you not, this man is SO in to this stuff. Had a great uncle that was in WW II and he would always would tell my uncle and father that if they had been through it, they wouldn't be watching it or collecting like they do.

Do you have an e-mail address if he wants to view it?
Thanks again

Todd
Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #25
Mike Mayhew
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Todd, my e-mail is Mikeymay@bellsouth.net. I'll send those if your uncle would like.
I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts about this day, and generation. I enjoy hearing the stories you guys have shared. I don't think I could have jumped at night at 800 agl Stewart. Even into my own territory.
Zino, I'm with ya, I would love to go back to that time. But only if I could get back when I wanted to. lol Not as tuff as those guys.
Brian, my other scrapbook of WWII is at my sisters house in Fla. I remember seeing an original map that had all the beaches of the D-Day invasion on it. Wonder how close Omaha and Utah beaches were from each other ? Could our relatives on that day in thier wildest dreams think we would be talking about this 60 years later, on keyboard's in our homes. Wild

Late 1944 >> somewhere in Europe <<

.....Today our excellant anti-aircraft shot down a Jerry 88, one of the biggest bombers, and it shot into flames. After the crash we could see and it had all the emblems of a German Aircraft. The motor was the largest piece of material left and the flyers were beyond recognition. Just some of the sights we see....................

Mike ( madness & ) Mayhem

Mike Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #26
Steven W Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mike, as a Vietnam Vet, I can only imagine what those guys went through, There are many things that happen in war that we really just don't care to talk about!
I can only hope that generations to come realize the sacrafices that so many have given before and now!
The very best to those that served whether they believed it right or wrong
they did their job...

Steven Johnson
Super Stock Grand AM
Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
Todd Bailey

Steven,

You are one of those yourself that I tip my hat to!!!

Todd