HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #11
Crew Chief

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

As it was just explained to me, the new rule applies to those who have an angled spacer plate being used to replace material that has been cut off at an angle on the intake side of the head. They will also be looking for the OEM angle between the intake side of the head and the block side of the head. That is what the +/- 2 degree allowance is about.
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #12
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

" External modifications prohibited except for the following, intake side of head may be +/- 2 degrees from OEM angle between combustion chamber surface to intake flange surface, may not be cut into any part of valve-cover fastener holes (except for SS/AH). Intake manifold fastener holes must remain unaltered in their original location. Only OEM intake fastener holes are permitted, any additional fastener holes are prohibited. Spacer plates between intake manifold and cylinder head prohibited. Valve-cover fastener holes must remain unaltered and in their original location."

So, does the angle rule get exempted for the SS/AH cars, or is that just for the "valve-cover fastener holes"? It's not entirely clear to me for those cars. Since it is one long, run-on sentence, the exemption would seem to apply to the whole sentence and SS/AH.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 PM   #13
fredjohnston

Liked 55 Times in 14 Posts
Cool Re: NHRA 2020 Rule Amendment SS Intakes???

I maybe wrong but haven't the big block Mopar stocker guys been doing this since the Edelbrock head was allowed?
fredjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #14
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L Miller View Post
" External modifications prohibited except for the following, intake side of head may be +/- 2 degrees from OEM angle between combustion chamber surface to intake flange surface, may not be cut into any part of valve-cover fastener holes (except for SS/AH). Intake manifold fastener holes must remain unaltered in their original location. Only OEM intake fastener holes are permitted, any additional fastener holes are prohibited. Spacer plates between intake manifold and cylinder head prohibited. Valve-cover fastener holes must remain unaltered and in their original location."

So, does the angle rule get exempted for the SS/AH cars, or is that just for the "valve-cover fastener holes"? It's not entirely clear to me for those cars. Since it is one long, run-on sentence, the exemption would seem to apply to the whole sentence and SS/AH.
The intake manifold fastener hole lines have been deleted.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #15
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

No spacer plates on my Edelbrock heads, paper gaskets and valley pan.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
Was just looking at the new NHRA 2020 Rule Book amendment prohibiting spacers between the intake and the cylinder head.

They already allow sheet metal intakes and also two piece intake manifolds split in the middle in the class so what is the difference in having a spacer between the intake and cylinder head?

This will effect many cars including Mopar 383 with Chevy intakes, Ford FE with 351C intakes and AMC with Mopar intakes running spacers to fit these intakes.
Mopar 383’s with Chevy intakes???? Shouldn’t Mopars run Mopar intakes? Shouldn’t Fords run Ford intakes? How many Chevys run Mopar or Ford intakes? Doesn’t Edelbrock make intakes for Ford and Mopar??? In Super Stock, isn’t the engine combination supposed to match the make of the car? If it didn’t before, I guess it does now, huh!!!
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #17
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,212 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
Mopar 383’s with Chevy intakes???? Shouldn’t Mopars run Mopar intakes? Shouldn’t Fords run Ford intakes? How many Chevys run Mopar or Ford intakes? Doesn’t Edelbrock make intakes for Ford and Mopar??? In Super Stock, isn’t the engine combination supposed to match the make of the car? If it didn’t before, I guess it does now, huh!!!
Why would that matter when sheet metal fab intakes are legal?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #18
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

Any intake manifold,don't screw with the intake surface of the head is how I understand it. Years ago when John Gunn was torn down NHRA wanted to look at his manifold and he told them no I'm allowed any intake and locked it in the trunk. He said you're not going to look at it and tell all your friends,he got the record and never showed the inside of the manifold.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #19
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worner View Post
I don't think any racing style aftermarket manifolds were made for Cadillacs. Ken Sharp come to mind.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:03 PM   #20
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
I don't think any racing style aftermarket manifolds were made for Cadillacs. Ken Sharp come to mind.
...or Bob Dennis.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked