HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #101
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Ken
Better check your dictionary before class. One way Webster's defines altitude is "height above sea level", another being "regions at a greater height than sea level". As for vacuum what you refer to is a perfect vacuum. Again, according to Webster's, a vacuum is "air or gas at a pressure below that of the atmosphere" or "to clean with a vacuum cleaner".

In another post it was stated that there is no vacuum at WOT. The lowest pressure is in the cylinder on the intake stroke, but I don't think it is atmospheric pressure in the intake at WOT. This becomes a different discussion with a turbo or blower.
I have never put a vacuum guage on an intake and looked at it in the traps but my thought is that there is still a pressure differential across the carb or a vacuum in the intake, just less than at idle. If there was none, going to a bigger carb would not increase the airflow and make more power and it usually does.

Just my thought and I have been wrong before.
Stewart Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #102
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have put a vacuum gauge on it and watched it from point A to B, and from the time I go WOT to the finish line it is ZERO.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #103
STK 1045

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tom Turner, I'm not sure if it was your intention but please don't put words in my mouth. I never bad mouthed Zach in any way, nor did I call him a dummy. This is America, we are all entitled to our opinions. Zach's opinions are just as important as anyone elses and he certainly has a right to voice his without getting verbally clobbered. No offense, we class racers need all the competition we can get, and petty name calling and bickering certainly is not going to increase car counts anytime soon. What I merely pointed out was that I had recently purchased a very fast stocker and that any talk of heads up class runs as a debate would take the performance based aspect of Stock and Super Stock and pretty much throw it out the window. Zach had also mentioned the money it takes to be fast. I know. I watched Richard Todd, methodically build his 427 Ford Fairlane into one of the fastest stockers on the planet, and of course, his very successful dyno business in upstate New York from scratch. Let's face it the higher stock classes are becoming rather pricey. If heads up runs were to be eliminated, I could have easily gotten by buying some "stone" and not have to worry about running a faster car in my class heads up. That was my point. By the way, Tom, my name is Frank Hamer Jr., I recently purchased Richard Todd's A/SA 427 Fairlane, from Richard Todd, who is a personal friend of mine. I'm not on here to pick fights or to resort to petty name calling. If we don't actively promote our sport and constantly try to bring "new blood" into it, class racing could possibly end up on the endangered species list. Life is too short. I merely want to race, and of course, enjoy myself racing. See you at the races.
STK 1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #104
zach craig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Dommination of FI cars.

WOW... Sounds like a bunch of old farts thanking this is still 1980. But the truth is that you are all just a bunch of pro bracket racers who bought or built a class car. If you really thank you r that bad and can make some big power with big money step up n go comp racing. Then you can race heads ups all day. The deal is i love stock n s/s no box racing is my deal but it is just hard 2 race a $45,000 doller car 4 a wopping $1300 bucks. The whole thang neads 2 step up n pay some cash. I am just hoping that avery one can come together class racers, super class racers, bracket racers ake all of us n start 2 git somthing going that pays i dont no about all of you but when it cost $750 a weekend 2 race and all you git is $1300 four the last 15 years somthing neads 2 change.TOM thanks 4 the complament on my driving but you nead 2 wake up and realize you r not warren johnson.
zach craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #105
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Lee
Don't doubt that you have seen 0 vacuum at WOT but I would bet most S and SS cars see some vacuum because they have to run the factory undersized carb. Reading info from Maxrace Software, and Larry did some testing on 283 Chevy SS combos with the 4GC carb and WOT vacuum was 4-7 "hg. If the engine can pull more air than can flow thru the 4 little barrels then you will have a restrictive carb which results in vacuum in the intake.
The Holley Carburetors & Manifolds book says "If the carburetor is too small, pressure drop at wide-open throttle will be greater than the desired 1 inch Hg (for high performance). My guess is that most S and SS class cars have too small a carb because it was sized for driveability rather than all out race.
So back to the original comment that got this started. If you can energize a solenoid at WOT and introduce a metered amount of air and the correct amount of fuel is injected by the computer, you have a HP increase. This is the same thing the 2 bbl stick shift stockers used to do in the early 70's by spacing up the carb from the intake and jetting up in the carb. It would pop and bang on the line but under load it made more power but it was a trial and error thing. Thats where the rule came from that required all vacuum leaks plugged and all carbs bolted tightly.
If I get to the shop next week I will pull some Hemi dyno runs and see if we recorded vacuum.
Stewart Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #106
zach craig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just saying they r changin avery thang else in stock y not say no heads ups 4 a year and c what happens. There is ways 2 make it work and still make people want a fast car just dont b so old school and open your mind up. dont let nhra drag you around like a 5 year old kid in a store.
zach craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #107
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Speaking of popping and banging:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...82607023UpwJHj

Speaking of that, someone told me one time you could leave out two parts on a 4GC carb , jet the rear up .010 and pick up a tenth. Of course , I have no first hand knowledge of this.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #108
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,578 Times in 322 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Cool Re: Dommination of FI cars.

Mark--Great shot of "Bits & Pieces"--bring back those days.........

Zach Craig---R U Nutz ??????????

Frank---Welcome to Stock racing and by the way--- bring your wallet as A/SA is a very tough place ! ! ! And you're right-- life is short--enjoy it today .
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #109
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Angry Re: Dommination of FI cars.

What is the advantage to having no heads ups in stock class? Is it so you can race in the spotlight with a Pro ET car? Because with no heads up's we don't need to quailify, if thats the case why have any rules. Lets just run pump gas and stock apearing cars. Why do you want to race stock? If you want to race in a nat event why no just win the Bracket finals, and run the race of champions at Pomona. I built a car to run stock because I LIKED THE RULES AND THE GAME. If you don't like the current game sounds like you need to play somewhere else. Guys like you that come into our game are a cancer, because you have your own adjenda and don't care for the wellfare of the class or the sport. Try to race for a year and see how many times you loose a race because of heads up racing. I bet it is less then 5%. You can duck heads ups if you are smart enough, I've been doing it for years and have had some success

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach craig View Post
just saying they r changin avery thang else in stock y not say no heads ups 4 a year and c what happens. There is ways 2 make it work and still make people want a fast car just dont b so old school and open your mind up. dont let nhra drag you around like a 5 year old kid in a store.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #110
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach craig View Post
WOW... Sounds like a bunch of old farts thanking this is still 1980. But the truth is that you are all just a bunch of pro bracket racers who bought or built a class car. If you really thank you r that bad and can make some big power with big money step up n go comp racing. Then you can race heads ups all day. The deal is i love stock n s/s no box racing is my deal but it is just hard 2 race a $45,000 doller car 4 a wopping $1300 bucks. The whole thang neads 2 step up n pay some cash. I am just hoping that avery one can come together class racers, super class racers, bracket racers ake all of us n start 2 git somthing going that pays i dont no about all of you but when it cost $750 a weekend 2 race and all you git is $1300 four the last 15 years somthing neads 2 change.TOM thanks 4 the complament on my driving but you nead 2 wake up and realize you r not warren johnson.
Zack...Todd is right on his assessment about what you want to accomplish. The truth is that all of those old farts, which I can include myself, have paid the price throughout the years on this sport. My recommendation is that if you want to be in the spotlight, there is a price to pay. However, you do not want to do so, therefore, either build a Stocker, or stay in bracket racing. Also, Tom Turner is one of the many racers that has paid the price in the sport and has a level head...he was already racing before your daddy planned in bringing you in to this world!!! In addition, who said you had to spend $45K to be competitive???

I watched Jody Lang take baby steps from bracket to Stock, and later Super Stock...he paid the price and been successful. Do you think that you can go and race in Stock Eliminator in bracket mode and become a champion in a matter of a couple of races???? That to me is total arrogance on your part...like the adage says...grow up...smell the roses and either race with the big dogs, or stay in the porch.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote