HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM   #21
LouisJeffery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

This situation could be cured without changing the rule. Just add to the rule that if a electronic transmission is used it must be a production electronic transmission. No adding electronic shift solenoids to non electronic transmissions. Nobody ever produced a production electronic shift 3 speed automatic. So NO 200,904,C-4. Unless you want to shift manually.
LouisJeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:25 AM   #22
bsa633
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

adjustable buttons...electric or air shifters....AHFS games...how fun are we having anymore...really? everyone is looking for a way to get the car/driver more concistant...(wich is bracketracing to me) rather than try to go faster(because of the current factoringsystem awards that in a fine way)..that stock and superstock became sort of a bracketrace back in the days was needed because the diversity of cars and classes became alot better ofcourse,but when you hear some people in this class want to get rid off heads up runs,change the redlight rule,keep asking for driving-aids...i just dont know anymore...dosen't sound like the same type of racing and group of people that i used to know and love....

sorry..again...this post was about why some could have e-shift and others not....i support the idea that it follows :can only be used in transmission that had them from factory!maybe we will se those newer trans on older cars...

Last edited by bsa633; 08-28-2007 at 05:48 AM.
bsa633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #23
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

>> Why hasn't anyone answered Woodro's question about stick cars?

Norton probably is, but he runs a Pure Stocker.

Nobody's answered the question about why the E-Shift is a "safety device".

Woodro -- has NHRA changed the jacket rule, or do they still have 9-10-11 sec. Stockers with guys wearing t-shirts? While it didn't become an issue, my Volare has been on fire, and while I always wear my fire jacket, it's made me re-think some stuff. I've since moved where I have the fire extinguisher mounted so I can get to it quicker/easier in an emergency.

Back on topic -- Louis brings up something I was going to ask last night. Are these late model computer cars running aftermarket transmissions, or are they running "performance built" versions of the stock transmission? i.e., Could the computer shift the transmissions that are being used in these cars, or would people have to manually shift them if it wasn't for the E-Shift?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #24
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Michael, 11.49 or M/S must wear a Jacket. As for the Computer shifting the Tranny, the Holley system has a function for shifting the tranny just like the OEM computer. You know some of you guys have pissed and moaned ever since i brought out the very First LT1 Fuel Injected car, get over it, it's here to stay and as for the OEM tranny NHRA didn't want us using it because it had overdrive and Lock up Convertor. If that ever comes about i am sure they would be quicker yet. Now you guys voted to get the Fuel Injection cars away from the Carb cars so why do you care how we shift? Hey guys this is the 21'st century, times change.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM   #25
Clint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 100% behind Woodro on this. If you think a fuel injected car is more consistent than a carb car, you are mistaken. I've ruined entire seasons from a consistency stand point by making one seemingly minor wrong call in the ECU. An EFI car has to be set up about perfect to be as good as a carb stocker.

Clint Blezien
37 A/FIA
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
Troy Henderson

Liked 106 Times in 33 Posts
Post Re: Turbo-Action E-Shift Controller

I wish everyone had the opportunity to drive an upper class stick car and find out what they have been missing. Buttons, automatic shifters and 2-steps on the automatic cars take away from the fun that makes Stock "Stock Eliminator"

I understand that it makes the car more consistent and competitive. But they are getting to where all that is left is to add a throttle stop and it's a super class equivalent car. I know that my car isn't the majorities choice to try to win with but I like a challenge.

And stick cars do sound differently then they did years ago! Transmissions have come along way and shift much better than OEM equipment. It only takes light footwork to make a smooth gear change. And yes they CAN be shifted clutch-less but it?s a no-no and hard on parts. Hell, I could probably rip the tachometer off the dash and still hit it within reason?.

p.s. ? Part of the fun of driving a stocker is shifting with the front wheels in the air

Regards,
Troy Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #27
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I'm 100% behind Woodro on this. If you think a fuel injected car is more consistent than a carb car, you are mistaken. I've ruined entire seasons from a consistency stand point by making one seemingly minor wrong call in the ECU. An EFI car has to be set up about perfect to be as good as a carb stocker.

Clint Blezien
37 A/FIA
Ahmen brother!.....I had a short discussion with a Super-Star Sportsman racer a few years ago about EFI cars and their finicky nature. He was in the process of getting out of his and building a carbureted car. Lets just say that proved to be a real good move on his part. My experience so far with one has been a humbling experience, to say the least! I was never to fond of Q-Jets but one would look real nice right now under the hood of my latest car......
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #28
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

>>Michael, 11.49 or M/S must wear a Jacket.

Good to hear. Sorry - been a number of years since I ran NHRA.

>> As for the Computer shifting the Tranny, the Holley system has a function for shifting the tranny just like the OEM computer.

That's cool.

>> you guys voted to get the Fuel Injection cars away from the Carb cars

Personally, I think they should run together. If the cars are factored correctly, then it should be a non-issue.

Thanks for the answers!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #29
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have to disagree on the inconsistentcy of an EFI car. We are still running the factory ECM and the car is pretty deadly.

Woodro - I am one who does shift with the clutch, well, because I still run the factory transmission, with all the factory internals. The rulebook does state that it has to be clutch-assisted.

The overdrive deal is something that I am confused about though. Am I allowed to use it or not? I would like to put a bit more gear in the car and use overdrive, mainly because we are trying to run high 12's with a 200hp combination.
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #30
Woodro Josey

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

When i built the Car back in 94, i was told no Overdrive or lock-up convertor, now if they have changed their(NHRA) minds, i am not aware of it!