HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-10-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Tires for Stick Car

Wondering if any of you guys have experience with a stick stocker and 26'' tall tires.

Want to stick with 26'' tires for our gearing, but wondered if there is much difference between the Mickeys and the Hoosiers.

Currently run the 26x9 Hoosiers with the D06 compond and have had good luck, but this is the first tire on the car and we are willing to try something different. After about 125 runs the tires are going away. Will the M/T's last longer?
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Geddes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tires for Stick Car

tt

Last edited by Geddes; 07-10-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

In my limited experience the Hoosiers have lasted longer.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Ed, How many runs could you get on a set of Hoosiers before they started losing 60'. I was at about 110 runs on this set.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Stick or not, you should be getting a lot more mileage out of your tires, particularly on an I/PS entry. I was at 108 runs on my 9x30" M/T Radials when the rear end let loose last weekend... and every 60' was a 1.47x.

On M/T bias plys with my bracket car (low 1.6x 60's), I typically get 300+ runs, and they hook all the way to the cords.

Burnouts are fun, but there's a chance that you're overdoing it. I watched a couple launches at Motor Mile, but admit that I wasn't paying attention to your burnout procedure.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
Jeremy1374

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

M/T's are the way to go. We can second Mikes statement about the M/T hooking to the cords. We have Hoosier radials and we couldnt get them to hook consistantly at Pitts this weekend. Got new M/T stick shift skins on the way.

BTW the Hoosiers half 50% life on them.
Jeremy1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I do a pretty small burnout in the bird. Just get it up on the tire and come out of the water as soon as they start smoking.

I will admit that we have only put 35 runs on the car so far this year, but they have all been in the last 3 weeks. And after the first 10 the 60' times started getting very inconsistent. Iam used to seeing the car move .02 during the day, but down at Motor Mile during the last 20 runs i saw as much as a .08 difference from run to run with the same setup.

Normally I rotate them side to side after about 10-15 runs, but they are starting to need to be rotated every 5 runs. They are about shot.

I know that I am not going to get the same amount of runs as an automatic car, because this thing crushes the tire on the line. Hits the tire harder than our Super Gas car ever did.

The only thing pushing me away from M/T is the price, because we get a pretty good deal on Hoosiers. I would work with a $50 total difference or around there, because I will get that back with a class win at MIR on the M/Ts.

I'm just kinda lost, because this thing was deadly 60' last year.

Wow, that was long winded...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, 60' Times are in the low 1.7x range. Will be high 1.6x when we get the tune up worked out.

Last edited by LNorton; 07-10-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #8
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Also, can you run M/T bias ply tires without tubes? We have never run a tube in a Hoosier. And the last tire manufactuer we used was Firestone in the 80's!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

I run the M/T 9x29.5 "stickshift" slicks, tubeless, and they lose about 1 lb a week, on the initial installation. I also run M/T`s tubeless on my low 10 second 4 speed bracket car (14x32`s), and they also normally hold air quite well, but the pair on the car currently lose air very fast, like 5-6 lbs overnight! However, these tires were bought used from a friend, who said they held air OK, but now they are leakers. Maybe mounting and dismounting them a couple of times makes them "unhappy". I hate running tubes, especially in the large slicks, cause the proper natural rubber tubes are very heavy. The M/T tubes I have in the garage are almost 12 lbs each!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:57 AM   #10
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Yea, weight is a concern here as well. Not so worried about them losing air, because we only mount them once. Mainly concerned with the life and consistency of M/T vs. Hoosier.

Anyone know who to talk to about getting a little bit of help on M/T price? I would consider giving them a shot for the right price.