HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #111
JMatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What Changes In Super Classes Would You Like To See

Why does a strut car have an advantage over A-arms? I'm in S/G, and don't have struts. Now admittedly I'm lighter then S/St cars, and I'm a full chassis car, but without struts and with a ladderbar rearend I put 30 in the box on a 400 tree.

How would strut front suspension improve me?

(sincere question - not a debate. I have no idea how strut vs. coilover front ends differ in performance).
Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #112
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
Why does a strut car have an advantage over A-arms? I'm in S/G, and don't have struts. Now admittedly I'm lighter then S/St cars, and I'm a full chassis car, but without struts and with a ladderbar rearend I put 30 in the box on a 400 tree.

How would strut front suspension improve me?

(sincere question - not a debate. I have no idea how strut vs. coilover front ends differ in performance).
SHHHHH dont tell them that. All the Monkey see Monkey do folks heads will explode. A 2 time SG world champ thats a good friend always told me.. "It aint about having what everybody else has, its about making what you have work". Its about 28 degrees outside and I have been out in my trailer trying to make my "junk" better.
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #113
dhmoore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well here goes
my name is Dan Moore i have raced SST for 15 yrs. now and then S GAS. in div. 2
i have raced only chassised cars all those years, a-arm- ladder bar , and strut- 4 link
in all those years i have raced by the book, its not hard (only if you cant read) the car i have now is a 91 camaro (CONVERTIBLE ROADSTER) built by the NHRA RULE BOOK
yes i get looks, but i tell them its in the book

so you can bitch all you what about timers, t-stops your not going to change one thing, who is giving NHRA money?????? whos big adds are in the N.D. do you think NHRA is going to give up any thing that makes them $$$$$$$$$ as JOHN FORCE said, bottom line,,,,, NHRA is not going to piss off anyone that gives money to them (except us racers) but it was a good poll

Dan Moore 238D SST & SUPER GAS
dhmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #114
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

there's no reason any of that stuff won't work.....if you get it working good...whats wrong with it....that's why there's a lot of participation in the super classes.....some guys have 100k cars that get put on the trailer by 20k cars....(me included more than I would like)...lol

I would like to pay insurance one time per event not per entry.....that's what I would like to change.....(the way I drive sometimes...guys with one car make more runs than I do in both cars...lol) 190 for insurance for a weekend is pretty stiff....
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #115
SSTCamaro

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by super comp 112 View Post
does the little guy standing next to the slick pay your bills? I know there are few making a living sportsman drag racing but atleast i would like to get a little back. When you can go to a local track and race for 2000.00 on a saturday night and 3 or 4 days later at a nhra event they want to hand you a check for 1500.00 plus decal money if they pay something is wrong.
I raced my only national event a few years ago and even though I was of the realization that my $250 entry fee, $200/gas, $150 in food, $500 in crew/family tickets was NOT going to be refunded unless I won and hit the daily number on the way home that night.

In Super Street, $210 X 80 ($40 taken out for insurance) is a total of $16,800 of which $2500 was paid out in the money rounds. I did make my entry fee back, but realized that our money was not being spent on OUR class and was going to fund the rest of the race purses.
I never started racing to make money nor did I ever expect to see any. I always raced for the competition, trophy or Wally and anything else just went to my wife, I didn't want to see the money, but it sure won me brownie points to go racing again ;-)

Look, anyone thats into racing to make money, that strictly runs NHRA events and your not an ace like Fletch, Biondo or either of the Langs (no disrespect to anyone I missed), should just put it in the garage now. If you run big dollar races, then your odds of not only making your money back, plus a little extra are greater, but the winnings go a lot further.
I know a few guys that do nothing but run big money races and good for them! They are in it for the money...no problem. I am not, nor are a lot of the other racers I know who outspend their income, go broke, eat PBJ and hot dogs just to make a divisional race let alone a national event.

DeVita Racing
SSTCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #116
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Two changes I would like to see, even though a close friend of mine disagrees is, 1. The top bulb can be out and you wont go red. That is the way the pros run there pro tree and I believe that is the way a pro tree should be run. If you go deep and the top bulb is out, you don't go red unless you leave too soon. I know they can do the tree this way cause that is what the pros are doing. Throw out the courtesy staging, it eliminates some of the better excitement on the starting line. Why do I want to run the champ and hurries his stage and makes me go in last and he has 30 in his box and can move it to 10. And 2. Is that you do not get to pick your lane for first round, it would be determined when you pull up to the front of staging. I know the national event and some divisions like to pull them straight out. But to me the big hitters are avoiding racing among themselves first round and most of them pick the right lane anyway. Why do I want to run the champ and hurries his stage and makes me go in last and he has 30 in his box and can move it to 10 and I have to be extra careful to keep the top bulb on. Get rid of the courtesy stage and having your lane choice for first round. It really not going to matter to me, but I think it is stupid if you let the top bulb go out and your are out!
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #117
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Smile Re: What Changes In Super Classes Would You Like To See

Sorry Mav.......to be taken halfway seriously...you have to post your name.....

the changes you mentioned are very unlikely anyway....they are more likely to outlaw red cars....

Rock Haas
Old 12-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #118
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is deep staging a problem? Really? Don't most people worry about just barely getting in, consistently, and not panicking over whether they'll turn off the top bulb? I've watched hundreds of rounds of pro races and can count on one hand the number of times in a year someone deep stages their opponent.

And courtesy staging is really no big deal. Could take it or leave it. If your opponent double-bulbs you, you still have 7 seconds to get in...

Not sure what all the fuss is about, Mav.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #119
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

You can't let the top bulb go out in super class racing, or you go red. I know they are not going to change the rules, but the basic question if, What changes in the super classes would you like to see? And to me it dont make sense that you can't let the prestage lite go out and still have the stage lite on and have a race. To me it is making it tougher for for the guy who can,t cut the .010 lite all the time and has .000 in the box. To me, it is opening up the starting line a little bit more for how I want to race. Instead of you have to keep both bulbs lit to get a green, when really the prestage beam is really just to tell you are getting close to the stage beam. Too many restrictions for what you can't do, and not enough on what you allowed to do. If the pros can do it, and it is called a pro tree, then I should be able to do it too. I will race no matter what happens to the rules or entry fees, but it is stupid that I have to keep the prestage bulb on,
Steve Williams S/G 351N (seriously) Oh my car is Blue and I dont have a two speed or a one speed.

Last edited by Maverick; 12-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #120
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry about that Steve.......I didn't know it was you......

For those of you that don't know....Steve runs that cool Ford Probe with the lenco in it.....

Steve, if you put a glide in that thing, I don't think you would have to worry about rolling in....and it will probably go faster.......lol

Rock