HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Lightbulb Classification question

I was on Craigslist and found a 72 AMC Hornet last week in nice shape for cheap and was wondering about running it in stock. Biggest motor is 304 2 barrel combo. Then I got to thinking about SS/GT with 69 390 motor, thinking just maybe.........but then I got to thinking, does the NHRA or IHRA reconize AMCs as MOPARs? They were bought out by Chrysler. If the question is no, then why can you run a Chevy small block in a Pontiac Sunfire in SS/GT? Same corp., Now if the answer is yes, then a Hornet with a 68 Hemi would be bad ***, don't ya think? Now just think IF AMCs are reconized as MOPARS, in the classification guide under AMC, 1984 Reliance is on the list, and with the old rule gone about car must have had at least a v6 available from the factory to be eligable for SS/GT, and set up with a 68 Hemi, shades of the old Colts from the early 70's. How cool would that be! Yes I know, just because its in the guide doesn't mean it can be run, but just think of the pandorias box we could open with this thinking. 1924 lbs with a 507 rated Hemi...3.79...can you say Death Trap? Hey I'm bored at work, this is what happens when I get bored. Rick.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Tom keedle

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Classification question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick lester View Post
I was on Craigslist and found a 72 AMC Hornet last week in nice shape for cheap and was wondering about running it in stock. Biggest motor is 304 2 barrel combo. Then I got to thinking about SS/GT with 69 390 motor, thinking just maybe.........but then I got to thinking, does the NHRA or IHRA reconize AMCs as MOPARs? They were bought out by Chrysler. If the question is no, then why can you run a Chevy small block in a Pontiac Sunfire in SS/GT? Same corp., Now if the answer is yes, then a Hornet with a 68 Hemi would be bad ***, don't ya think? Now just think IF AMCs are reconized as MOPARS, in the classification guide under AMC, 1984 Reliance is on the list, and with the old rule gone about car must have had at least a v6 available from the factory to be eligable for SS/GT, and set up with a 68 Hemi, shades of the old Colts from the early 70's. How cool would that be! Yes I know, just because its in the guide doesn't mean it can be run, but just think of the pandorias box we could open with this thinking. 1924 lbs with a 507 rated Hemi...3.79...can you say Death Trap? Hey I'm bored at work, this is what happens when I get bored. Rick.
i know i can run a mopar rear in my american in stock, for whatever THAT'S worth...
Tom keedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Classification question

Does it look close enough to a 1971 model to claim it as such? They had a 360 available then.
I recall a magazine test/comparison between a 360 Hornet and a 340 Demon. The Demon won but I believe the author had good things to say about the Hornet.

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 10-12-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

71 AMC hornet was available with either a 2 bbl 360 OR a Ram air 4 bbl 360 in the SC360 coupe---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

NO, I'm pretty sure the SC/Hornet with comparable mods as the Demon was faster!

4bbl is only available on a SC/360 which is 1971 only. However, there's not enough difference for anybody to care. SC/Hornet has a ram-air hood (standard on 4bbl, not available on 2bbl). Red between the tail lights and some emblems and your ready for F/S racing. And believe me, it would be a key player. One is being built right now and the owner wants to remain anonymous for now.

As far as a hemi AMC in GT, great idea. But at 500+ HP your looking at 4200+ race weight in GT/A class. The '71 360 looks good as a traditional SS but so does the 343 rated at 265 HP in GT... also look @ the 290 rated at 210 HP.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 700 Times in 204 Posts
Talking Re: Classification question

One last thing Jeff forgot to share, Getting the car cheap is the only cheap thing you'll ever see when you build an AMC. .....If you're not afraid to open your wallet, the AMC,s can fly. ........Tom
Old 10-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Classification question

This isn't related to the Demon/Hornet article I mentioned. But it has some cool info and pics!

http://www.chromjuwelen.com/partner-...et-sc-360.html

This April 1971 issue of Car Craft is the one with the Demon/Hornet shootout according to the site selling it.

http://www.nitroactive.net/images/7104_cc_s.jpg

This list of road tests show 1971 Demon & Hornet results.
(But we've all heard the stories about "doctored" magazine test cars.)

http://www.cobranet.com/roadtest.htm

But I can't offer any real-world observations between the two.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Goldman View Post
One last thing Jeff forgot to share, Getting the car cheap is the only cheap thing you'll ever see when you build an AMC. .....If you're not afraid to open your wallet, the AMC,s can fly. ........Tom

Very good point and 100% on the money. I only blew up one race engine before I had an AMC. And I deserved to break that 440 Dodge. This AMC stuff will test your wits, that's for sure!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: Classification question

The 70-72 hornets where the same body style.1973 they changed and the hatchback was first offered.
I believe the 360 4bbl was available in the hornet in 1973 only along with the 2 bbl.After that 2 bbl only. I'll never understand why they never offered the 360 in gremlins,although Randall American in Mesa Arizona did a 401KR (king of the road) for a tick over $3K.And you got a one way plane ticket to Mesa to pick the car up.
Come on Tom.With my little budget and your expertise the gremlin isn't half bad.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Alan Warman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How about using a new style Hemi like a 5.7 or the 6.1. If you did use one of these combo's, would you be able to use the ram air hood. And since were dreaming lets but a stick in it, and make it a real mans car(LOL)