HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts
Default Interesting Thoughts-- Future of Stk/SS

For this thread I'm going to ignore the fact that NHRA has a new scanner and plans to change the enforcement of cylinder head rules... even if only for the Showdown cars at first.

Assuming NHRA will never die and will always control the class we love what changes could be made to entice new participation and help keep the classes relevant for years to come. The average age of competitors that aren't driving mom or dads car is only getting higher and higher.. I bet if someone sat down a figured it out it'd be around 60 years old... with less than 10% of cars running being from new blood to the class 60% being guy who've run for years and years and the last 30% being kids or even grand-kids of recently retired long term competitors..

Do we just let the class slowly die as these people pass or decide the cant afford or physically cant drive anymore? or do we proactively make smaller changes over time to reduce cost and drum up new interest in the classes... I know die hard 30+ year vets will hate any changes that effectively erase the classes they love so much.. I too admit that I love Stk/SS for what they are now.. but with technology where it has advanced in the past 20 years to the younger age groups not being able to afford anything let alone a $50,000 11.50 Stock eliminator car, maybe we should be opening these discussions to what the many people involved would be open to considering..I'll start with some changes that I would like to see some day but will be met with huge out cry from the die-hards.

For Stock:

-Must used all OEM part numbers or accept products (just like the current rules), BUT all head porting and intake porting in legal with no CC limits or limitations to modifications to the head or intake. Must use correct TB or Carb but any modification legal. Limits to Bore size say .080 over stays in effect. lifter and rocker arm rules remain the way they are now but I would change the camshaft rules to allow more lift than stock.. keep a limit of maybe .030-.050 over stock, but allow guys to run a cam they would have in their "hot rod" street car.

Essentially this class would turn into more of what the current state of SS is with a few extra limitations. We would have to find a new way to class the combos, but that should also be a task that is accomplish-able. People lose interest in this class these days because they want to go fast as cheaply as possible. They have all these cool parts on their street car and then they come to the track and can fathom spending $2000 on stock cylinder heads for a valve job and a car that runs 12.50s...

For SS open up the aftermarket heads and valve sizes... Make them pick from a list and limit them to ones that can be essentially a direct bolt ons. Pistons tops must not be changed from stock configuration which would limit the use of heads with crazy valve angles out there.

There are others that would make sense, but I want open it up to others at this point.

I think we have 2 classes that are amazing in what people are doing with essentially "Stock" parts.. we all know it's not really stock anymore, but the ET's and MPH people are running with the parts we are using is pretty fascinating to all of us. Sooner or later the number of people interested in will be lower and I think we can keep the ideology behind the 2 classes while opening it up to a newer crowd. Mark Lelchook has a car on the far extreme of what I'm thinking, but a 2015 4 cylinder turbo Mustang he is driving to the track, swapping tires and running 9's.. Nothing about the engine and turbo are stock, I get that, but this is the crowd Stk and SS need to be getting involved in the class. We are alienating them with our current archaic rules..

Just so everyone doesn't freak and denounce this topic. I'm thinking 10-15 year down the road would be the full transition to rules closer to this..with slow changes over time to get there..

Stk/SS are still fully alive and well in their current status, but what does the future hold if we keep these rules for 15 more years?

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts
Default Re: Interesting Thoughts-- Future of Stk/SS

There's a much simpler fix. Make stock and super stock a performance-based eliminator again.

Reduce classes from a million to 10, and base them on weight per hp.

If you have heads-up runs, you get people interested. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out.

Why spend the money and time to go to a divisional or national event to bracket race? You can go to a local track, spend a day and $50 and be home by dinner time.

You want new blood then you better start drawing heads-up runs. A lot of them.

Last edited by SSGT Mustang; 08-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Interesting Thoughts-- Future of Stk/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
For this thread I'm going to ignore the fact that NHRA has a new scanner and plans to change the enforcement of cylinder head rules... even if only for the Showdown cars at first.

Assuming NHRA will never die and will always control the class we love what changes could be made to entice new participation and help keep the classes relevant for years to come. The average age of competitors that aren't driving mom or dads car is only getting higher and higher.. I bet if someone sat down a figured it out it'd be around 60 years old... with less than 10% of cars running being from new blood to the class 60% being guy who've run for years and years and the last 30% being kids or even grand-kids of recently retired long term competitors..

Do we just let the class slowly die as these people pass or decide the cant afford or physically cant drive anymore? or do we proactively make smaller changes over time to reduce cost and drum up new interest in the classes... I know die hard 30+ year vets will hate any changes that effectively erase the classes they love so much.. I too admit that I love Stk/SS for what they are now.. but with technology where it has advanced in the past 20 years to the younger age groups not being able to afford anything let alone a $50,000 11.50 Stock eliminator car, maybe we should be opening these discussions to what the many people involved would be open to considering..I'll start with some changes that I would like to see some day but will be met with huge out cry from the die-hards.

For Stock:

-Must used all OEM part numbers or accept products (just like the current rules), BUT all head porting and intake porting in legal with no CC limits or limitations to modifications to the head or intake. Must use correct TB or Carb but any modification legal. Limits to Bore size say .080 over stays in effect. lifter and rocker arm rules remain the way they are now but I would change the camshaft rules to allow more lift than stock.. keep a limit of maybe .030-.050 over stock, but allow guys to run a cam they would have in their "hot rod" street car.

Essentially this class would turn into more of what the current state of SS is with a few extra limitations. We would have to find a new way to class the combos, but that should also be a task that is accomplish-able. People lose interest in this class these days because they want to go fast as cheaply as possible. They have all these cool parts on their street car and then they come to the track and can fathom spending $2000 on stock cylinder heads for a valve job and a car that runs 12.50s...

For SS open up the aftermarket heads and valve sizes... Make them pick from a list and limit them to ones that can be essentially a direct bolt ons. Pistons tops must not be changed from stock configuration which would limit the use of heads with crazy valve angles out there.

There are others that would make sense, but I want open it up to others at this point.

I think we have 2 classes that are amazing in what people are doing with essentially "Stock" parts.. we all know it's not really stock anymore, but the ET's and MPH people are running with the parts we are using is pretty fascinating to all of us. Sooner or later the number of people interested in will be lower and I think we can keep the ideology behind the 2 classes while opening it up to a newer crowd. Mark Lelchook has a car on the far extreme of what I'm thinking, but a 2015 4 cylinder turbo Mustang he is driving to the track, swapping tires and running 9's.. Nothing about the engine and turbo are stock, I get that, but this is the crowd Stk and SS need to be getting involved in the class. We are alienating them with our current archaic rules..

Just so everyone doesn't freak and denounce this topic. I'm thinking 10-15 year down the road would be the full transition to rules closer to this..with slow changes over time to get there..

Stk/SS are still fully alive and well in their current status, but what does the future hold if we keep these rules for 15 more years?

Brad
OK....I will say it......Are you drunk ?
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
HawkBrosMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGT Mustang View Post
There's a much simpler fix. Make stock and super stock a performance-based eliminator again.

Reduce classes from a million to 10, and base them on weight per hp.

If you have heads-up runs, you get people interested. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out.

Why spend the money and time to go to a divisional or national event to bracket race? You can go to a local track, spend a day and $50 and be home by dinner time.

You want new blood then you better start drawing heads-up runs. A lot of them.
How does redefining which class the same cars already racing with the same parts help bring in new blood? I don't disagree more heads up would help interest more people, but those same people will not spend $50k to go 11.50... they're the people wanting to throw the kitchen sink at it and "run what you brung" just because you give them heads up runs doesn't entice them to build a car for a class that limits them so much the investment isn't worth it. Looks at the racing that has taken off in the past 5 years.. we all think they're crazy and it's just a fad.. but is it??

I'm of the thinking that we can change our rules in way which still keep the overall idea behind the class relevant, but compromise with what might be of interest with new blood and at least maintain a class instead of letting it die as other forms of racing take it's place... What happens to Stk /SS if NHRA goes belly up like AHRA and IHRA?
Liked
Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
nhramnl

Liked 352 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post

Exactly... like Stock and Super Stock aren't screwed-up enough. Your suggestions would result in Super Stock and Super Super Stock. The answer has never been making more stuff legal. That ridiculous, insanely costly trend started, years ago, when NHRA blew its chance to be a real sanctioning body and suspend Super Stock racers with illegal ported heads. They could have established themselves as serious about ethical competition, but instead, they just made ported heads legal and costs began to spiral upward. And since those floodgates were opened, we have never looked back. Nowadays, you can practically build an entire Super Gas or Super Comp car for the price of a top-tier Super Stock engine, and I would argue that that fact is exactly why the Super class staging lanes are always full.
nhramnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
HawkBrosMav

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
Nope.. just looking to open discussion about where others think the class should or needs to go in the next 10-15 years to stay relevant... you may think my ideas are crazy and they may be wayyyyyyy to far out there for the die-hards (I think I might have mentioned that much in the first post), but at some point the current iterations of STK/SS will need to change or they will die... maybe its closer to 30 years from now who knows.. I'm just looking for discussion on where peoples minds are at... or are we all just going to let the class die with it's aging participants?
Liked
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Interesting Thoughts-- Future of Stk/SS

Quote:
Nope.. just looking to open discussion about where others think the class should or needs to go in the next 10-15 years to stay relevant... you may think my ideas are crazy and they may be wayyyyyyy to far out there for the die-hards (I think I might have mentioned that much in the first post), but at some point the current iterations of STK/SS will need to change or they will die... maybe its closer to 30 years from now who knows.. I'm just looking for discussion on where peoples minds are at... or are we all just going to let the class die with it's aging participants?
I'm glad that my post did not make you mad but the point is that there are way to many things allowed in stock and super stock today. Each year it seems that new things are allowed. That means expensive things. . I agree with the other guy posting here about the cost. The only thing about the super classes is that the start stop and go in the those classes are not generally spectator appealing. Why build a 155-165 MPH 9.90 car. Yes you can build a complete running Super Class car for less than a killer stocker engine today if you are half way good at doing things yourself and stay in a reasonable MPH rang for whichever class you are competing in. . I have heard some guys have 3 to 4 thousand dollars tied up in the "Stock" heads alone of today. That is CRAZY ! I hope Wesley will be able to help get stock back on the right road again and the new equipment being brought in at INDY will put a stop to it. . If not then I see stock dying in a very few years except for those who are made of $$$$$$$.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 08-22-2019 at 03:03 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
SSGT Mustang

Liked 203 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
How does redefining which class the same cars already racing with the same parts help bring in new blood? I don't disagree more heads up would help interest more people, but those same people will not spend $50k to go 11.50... they're the people wanting to throw the kitchen sink at it and "run what you brung" just because you give them heads up runs doesn't entice them to build a car for a class that limits them so much the investment isn't worth it. Looks at the racing that has taken off in the past 5 years.. we all think they're crazy and it's just a fad.. but is it??

I'm of the thinking that we can change our rules in way which still keep the overall idea behind the class relevant, but compromise with what might be of interest with new blood and at least maintain a class instead of letting it die as other forms of racing take it's place... What happens to Stk /SS if NHRA goes belly up like AHRA and IHRA?
You already answered your own questions.

The new fad that isn't so new is heads-up runs. That's what people want to see and how most people want to race.

Reducing classes will bring a lot of heads-up runs.

Racing has always been expensive but if you're spending $50K to go 11.50's then you're doing it wrong.

Not everyone is going to be at the top of the class. If you don't have the money to go fast then you will need to find ways to go fast on a budget. A lot of guys do that today and some are at the top of their class.

That's what stock and super stock were all about. Working the combination until you can outrun your opponent and then working harder to stay there.

The radial tire crowd and all those gudge and outlaw cars are doing the same thing, and they're spending a ton of money to get there.

Performance based competition will alway be more interesting to everyone involved than just bracket racing.
SSGT Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

throwing this into the mix on stock,,the new generation coming into the sport (unless the family has been doing it for some time)really doesn't understand what it takes to "WRENCH" on stuff to make it faster ,, other than what they see on you tube videos ( I am living it thru my 20 year old's eyes now ) what you get is "all you gotta do is " (not so easy)

if nhra does indeed do the scanning process it will start the process of the later model FS cars ,, now that might get the younger group involved because the mechanical part is some what removed from the making it fast equation (yeah not entirely but different discussion ) and becomes a programmers (tuners) playing field and that's the new generation racer for stock ,, as for the older stuff with carburetors that will eventually fade to condensed classes ,( do I want to see that ! hell no ! but its here )

just my take ,,gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I don't think there are many younger men and women that are really interested in actually racing let alone racing a stock or super stock car. The cost to build and maintain one of these things no matter what parts are used is very expensive. The young crowd that I see at the local test and tune nights at our local tracks seem to be into power adder type cars. Turbos and Nitrous is the flavor of the day. if they want to go faster build more Cu in and more boost or spray.

I don't see any good reason to change the rules for either class. The addition of being able to use some aftermarket parts that are newer and stronger in it self saves some money and also brings the aftermarket manufacturers into our classes. The head castings on my car are 51 years old. They haven't been manufactured for 51 years. Its getting more difficult to find the castings so it is good to be able to buy some new aftermarket castings to start the build.

Right now stock and super stock seem to be holding their own. NHRA is not helping with their quota system. It makes it difficult for a new racer to be able to enter a national event.

The allure for our classes is not so much how fast they are its how fast you can go in comparison to others that follow the same rules package as you do. Stock and Super Stock are definitely 2 of the toughest classes to race. the drivers are as good as they come and you have to have a fast car that can also be consistent. That is a difficult proposal at times.

You also have to enjoy traveling. To be able to enter a national event you have to amass about 6 - 7 grade points. depending on where you live this could add up to traveling 7-10,000 miles per season to get those points.

Personally I enjoy racing super stock as much as I ever did. I just wish I could do more of it. I probably would quit racing before I became a local bracket racer