Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Super class survey

here's a idea, those who havn't run a div. or a nat in the last 3 yrs STFU
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #52
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Williams View Post
OK, how would the "cap on the MPH" work?
Simple, just like a breakout. You go faster than the set speed limit for the class, you lose. If both competitors go faster, the one that went faster loses. I would give this priority over E.T. breakouts (i.e. if one competitor goes 9.89 at 134 mph, and the other goes 9.91 at 136 mph, the one that went 136 mph loses - with electronics legal, there's no reason to push the mph that close to the edge).

Does this make it more confusing for the spectator? Probably, but if we're not going to outlaw electronics, we don't have any spectators anyway, so who cares if the 1 spectator in the stands understands what is going on...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #53
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gillespie View Post
here's a idea, those who havn't run a div. or a nat in the last 3 yrs STFU
This is coming from a guy that's within a 2 hour drive of 5 of the 6 LODRS races in Division 1, and 2 National Events. Try driving 4 hours to your CLOSEST race and see what you think about spending more money...
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #54
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Oldfield View Post
Simple...
So if I have this right, you want to make it so that it's first to the finish line wins,... except if you go too fast (MPH) then you lose,... except if your opponent goes faster then you win,... except if you run too quick (ET) then you lose,... except if your opponent runs quicker, then you win. You're right, it's so simple.

And are you going to change all the software in all the computers at every track in the country to now understand this? How about at those tracks still running software from the early mesozoic era? You know, that track owner that has their first dime and can't be talked out of it?

This is just silly.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 AM   #55
Nova Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think part of the problem is SG has changed from a door slammer class into a class full of roadsters. Maybe a 9.90 door slammer and a 8.90 roadster class. I would be willing to bet some of the SST guys would move into SG if they are not competing with 160+ roadsters all the time.
Nova Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #56
hotrodgeno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea. Let's have a door car 9.90 class. Then all these guy's you say will move up can run David Tatum. Good Luck.
hotrodgeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #57
Nova Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know about you but when I go to the track I go to race. I don't worry about who is in the other lane.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #58
roseracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Edwards View Post
Hi guys and gals. For those who don't know me, I am the D5 super class rep. I would like to give my input on a few things.
First of all, the email that was sent out to the super class racers stated that the Sportsman Advisory Council felt there is a need to lower the indexes. That is not actually true. The council agreed that a vote should be conducted to include all racers' input on if the indexes should be lowered, and we unanimously said yes to an online poll.

I took an unofficial poll at the Topeka division race in August in which I handed out ballots in the staging lanes. Racers returned their vote on some of the same issues you are voting on now. The overall results just to let you know were:
  • Index change?.. 75 voted no (leave it be) and 8 voted yes (lower it)
  • Super Street racers able to run 2 classes?.. 58 voted yes (change the rule) and 25 voted no (leave it alone)
As you can see, only about one third of the super class racers in attendence responded. I hope there are more that speak their mind to the online poll. Also, all my fellow D5 racers need to vote again on the online poll. I don't want them to think they have already voted from the unofficial survey I took.

I am not going to give my opinion on here. There are pros and cons to both sides. I will just vote on what I think will be best for the sport on the online poll. Thanks, Terry
We had all 3 of our D5 Super class cars in Topeka and we all 3 voted. Terry does a GREAT job as our D5 Super Class representative. Thank you Terry for taking the time to hand out all those ballots. We appreciate you and your time. I was lucky enough to meet Rock at the Chicago all-star race and after reading all of his posts, he's obviously very good at it too. So, thank you to our Super Class reps for, at least, getting this out to let every racer vote on it.

There are some great ideas being passed around on here and some insane ideas. Just so you know, our S/G car could probably run 8.90 and our S/C car could run the 7.90. But, my S/ST car can only run 10.57 flat out. Here are some things to remember.

1. No matter what you do, you will not get more people in the stands for Super Class racing. (Unless you run a free beer special for those sitting in the stands while the Super Classes run).

2. If NHRA does make an index change, some racers will have to change some things and spend more money (me included). So be it. It happens. If some choose to step back and quit, that stinks. But again, so be it. It happens. As Steve Cohen said, this is a step in the right direction (unlike Stock & S/Stock).

3. What will changing the names of the classes accomplish?

4. Banning electronics from Super Classes? That seems like a step in the wrong direction (even though Jason Oldfield may disagree). If it's available and affordable - then why not allow it? It makes for closer racing. Just my opinion. (And yes Jason, our closest race is 4.5 hours away. No local tracks close to us either. Check it out, my zip code is 68776).

5. Capping the MPH is an easy idea "on paper" (and not a bad idea), but almost unrealistic (per Chris Williams post). That will never happen.

6. Splitting the 9.90 class into 2 classes (one for door cars and one for roadsters) is a different idea. Let me take that idea one step further and simply allow the Super Gas "roadsters" to race in Top Sportsman.

So here's what I voted. Leave everything alone (including the Scotty Rule). And here's why.

Super Comp - No need to speed up that class. If they want to go faster, go race Top Dragster. If they do anything, put all the dragsters in one class and dial your own index (No slower than 8.90) and race on whatever tree you want.

Super Gas - If there is any class that would warrant a change in index, it would be Super Gas. Do I think it needs one? No. But, this is the class that's the most out of hand. What's the correct remedy? IDK, I guess look at #6 above. Allow the "roadsters" to run in Top Sportsman. BUT, the only way to make that work is to significantly raise the Top Sportsman payout. Otherwise, why would the "roadsters" want to change classes?

Super Street - Since I can only run a 10.57 flat out, I say leave it. I'm probably being selfish with this one, but I guess that's my right.

Here's to hoping every Super Class racer gets what they want - a safe and healthy 2011 racing season full of many wins. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks,
Brad Rose
roseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #59
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,007 Times in 305 Posts

Leave the indexes the way they are....it doesn't matter if you go 190mph or 120mph the only thing that matters is who can light that little light bulb at the end of the race track....correct? You can run 180-190 mph all day long but if you can't put the car on a .90 then there is only place you will be....in the trailer on the way home. If your worried about putting fans in the stands....come on now who are we kidding! We can do away with timers and stops but there still will be nobody in the stands to watch the .90 classes. 90% of the people come to National Events to watch the John Force Circus and if they are in the stands during .90 racing it's because they don't want to lose their seats.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #60
kenny v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to kenny v

Well said Rob, I think they should just give us a real 4.00 and 5.00 tree.