HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Moose View Post
James, what were you building back then when you ordered some parts from Hamburger performance...was it these guys notice the lettering on the fender, or did they get bought out too.

http://www.hamburgersperformance.com/

Back then Hamburger had a lot of cars and had people drive them. He now owns SLP they sell parts for camaros and firebirds his company is in tomsriver nj about 8 mins from me.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #12
Mile High

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right out of high school July 1971 got a 68 Dart GTS 340 automatic red - black top and interior with a black strip down the side. It had 47k miles when I got then when I traded it off in April of 73 it had 104K. Moved from Kansas City ( 7/72) to Denver. Many street races won with that car. A non posi 3.23, a real terror from 20 mph roll. Lots of good memories. Think I have one old Instamatic picture somewhere. I only replaced the water and power steering pumps and drove it hard.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris DeGidio View Post
We used to buy parts from Ed Hamburger quite a bit. I was getting stuff from him when I was still in high school in the very late 70's for my first car which was a 72 Duster with a 318. Later when I built my 340 69 Barracuda it had a lot of Hamburger's parts along with a lot from Herb McCandless as well.

I still have a set of Hamburger's "stocker" leaf springs that was on the Duster mentioned above,they may go on my 440 Demon when I put it back on the street.

Chris, nice lookin' Demon, is it an automatic or 4 speed, what kinda times are you running with it...
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

That orange brings back memories.

Wonder where those pics of my old Dart are............?
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wahl View Post
I worked with Ed for several years. Testing Cams, Torque Converters and building the TQ Carbs for the race cars. I raced a '71 Demon 340 (called "Demonstration") for many years in H/SA and then SS/KA. I ordered the car from the factory and still own the car. To this day it has only 15,003 miles on the original odometer. It has been sitting on jacks in the shop for about 24 years. Jim
Hey Jim, can you tell us anymore stories from the old days in your travels working for him, and any about your 340 Demon, for example where did you buy it new & how much did you pay for it, got any old race stories you care to share about it, etc...

Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Chris, nice lookin' Demon, is it an automatic or 4 speed, what kinda times are you running with it...
Well it's a Ok car paint wise,but thanks! It's a original 340 4-speed car,but we've run it with a big block and 727 since we built it in 1981.I painted it in a open carport then too.It was a rolling shell that we got for $60!! The 440 in it now is a mild street engine that has run 11.30.I wanted to run this car in a GT class with a 318 4bbl combo,but with my son headed to a out of state college,that's not happening.

My car is OK,but Jim Wahl's Demon is a REAL NICE car.Used to see it a Gainesville many years ago.

Last edited by Chris DeGidio; 06-03-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Chris DeGidio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Quote:
Hey Jim, can you tell us anymore stories from the old days in your travels working for him, and any about your 340 Demon, for example where did you buy it new & how much did you pay for it, got any old race stories you care to share about it, etc...

Where did you find that picture? That was around 1983 or so.
I ordered the car in 1971 from a dealer in Kissimmee Florida with everything but air conditioning. It is an original 340 car. Full power and an automatic with sure grip and a 3.91 axle. I paid $3165.00 out the door. My street car at the time was a '31`Model A 5 window coupe with a single 4 barrel HEMI.
When my dad retired from the military in '67 he bought a Dodge dealership in Central Florida that came with a "'66 D Dart". I still have the first trophy I won in that car.
Got to know Ed through racing the Demon. I was in Florida and he was in NJ, which worked out well. Anybody who knows Ed will understand what I mean. Nobody was building the TQ carbs and everyone other than some of the guys who had to run them hated them. I sort of enjoyed running the TQ when I street raced just to see the reaction of the guys I would beat when I opened the hood and they saw the TQ instead of a Holley sitting there. That was the beginning of Competition Carburetion. I built TQ's for Ed and most of the cars in his stable as well as his customers. Still building them to this day for my Volare' and a few other racers. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 689 Times in 132 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Talking Re: Mopars Little A Body Terrors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P Chapman View Post
Back then Hamburger had a lot of cars and had people drive them. He now owns SLP they sell parts for camaros and firebirds his company is in tomsriver nj about 8 mins from me.
Dennis, I don't think Ed has anything to do with the businesses anymore. Hamburger's Performance was sold years ago and SLP was being run by David, his son the last time I talked to David many years ago. I still have my original Hamburger Oil Pan from the Demon. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #19
Todd Boyer

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

A local gentleman who used to race big block Chevies (in an assortment of bodies) has told me that the 340s were the cars that gave him the most trouble.
Todd Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #20
71Dartman440

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great topic....here's my toy: 1971 Dart Swinger w/1976 440; 727 Tranny; 8.75 w/3.91 gears.

71Dartman440 is offline   Reply With Quote