Default Re: "G" Body suspention tips ?

Look at the Morrison no hops three adj.position, nice piece

Hammer.
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #22
CJohnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well today i made my first purchase for my 12 bolt. i got the edelbrock adjustable upper arms, and tomorrow I will order a set of the lakewood no hop bars, and i think im going to use the cargo coils i have in there already and see how everything works out in a few weeks time. can anyone reccomend a good rear drag shock to use that wont break the bank ?

Thanks
Craig - C693
CJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:24 AM   #23
CJohnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if everything works correctly should i expect a big improvment on my 60's over stock arms, with the 12 bolt and stock mounting location for the arms ? and stock shocks as well.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
Jackie McCracken

My 79 Malibu street car.

Rear: 9 inch ford 4:30 gears, detroit locker, stock malibu upper and lower arms, stock F41 srpings, stock sway bar, Monroe Gasmatic shocks, M/T 9x28 slicks.

Front: TRW replacement springs for V6 w No AC and 1 coil removed, Competition Eng Adj Shocks on 90/10, no sway bar, 215x75x15 tires

Mild 350, TH350, 4000 stahl - best ET 11.70@116 best 60ft. 1.75, runs on pump gas, drive it to the track

piece of cake...

Jackie McCracken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Night Malibu 450.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	1201  

Last edited by Jackie McCracken; 08-01-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
Jackie McCracken

Cool Re: "G" Body suspention tips ?

Ralph,

To my knowledge the best rear available from the factory for a G body car is the 8.5 10 bolt and were installed in T-Type Buicks and Cutlass 442's only in the mid 80's. They are good rearends and strong too. There was no 12 bolt for these cars except through the aftermarket. The Victor gasket catalog lists some Cutlass wagons having 8.5 10 bolts in them but I have never seen one and I look under every Cutlass wagon I come across.

FYI - All G body Monte Carlo's (that I have seen) have extra bars that go from the center of the front cross member to the front corner of the frame rails and add a significant amount of stiffness to the front of the frame. Get some, they will bolt onto any G body, the holes are already there drilled and tapped. Also all Cutlass' that I have seen have extra bars that go from the front fender just above the tires that connect to the radiator support and also add some stiffness, get you some if you don't already have them.

Jackie McCracken
Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
Jackie McCracken

Johnson,

I was looking at the pictures of your edelbrock bars and they do not correct the angle problem with the top ears. The government motors factory 12 bolt housing and the G body housing ears are a different angle as pointed out by others, you have to correct that. I do not know if the aftermartket housings correct this although i would think that they probably would. Moser (i think) and some others make top bars that "fix" the angle problem.

Jackie McCracken
Old 08-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #27
CJohnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would no hop bars help the angle at all ?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
Jackie McCracken

No hop bars will not fix the angle problem unless they were designed for that and I don't know of any. The upper bars that have been modified that I have seen will have a shallow V shape to them to correct the difference between the old and new style angles. There is or used to to be a G body forum web site that somebody there could probably help you find the right bars that you need. There are a lot of guys running G body cars in Stock with 12 bolts so I am surprised that somebody hasn't piped up to offer help here as well. Dean Oliver runs a Malibu and does carburetors find his number and try calling him, see what he did to fix his, his car is a fast one too!

Jackie McCracken
Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #29
Todd Geisler

Liked 345 Times in 149 Posts

Spherical housing bushings from either TRZ Motorsports or Wolfe Racecraft allow for the mis-alignment of the upper ear angles without binding suspension movement. That said, I've not looked at Stock rules to know if they are legal or not.
Todd Geisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #30
Dave Jung

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Craig, you need a set of arms like these

http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/G...%20uppers.html