HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
SS Observer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Small Block Chevys & NHRA Reactions or lack of:

As an observer who has followed the 350/300 engine over the last several years I'd like to make several comments.

1. Everyone is gripping about Fogle and his vehicle being too fast and the question of his legality but when you look at the facts....

a. Combustion chambers...back when this exploded @ Indy or was it Atlanta...I did a rough count here...out of 10 players with that combination only 8 had chambers that were not modified. Yet many cry and finger point. (No names mentioned just the facts) I overheard one racer say yaeh but "ours aren't as modified as his". This does not include the 327 and other heads that are modified.

NHRA's answer...Allow combustion chamber modifications instead of the corrective action of tossing them all.

b. Connecting rod journal size...350's never...never...came with the small journal diameters (327 size) used on the big end of rod. There was no clear definition by NHRA as to how much a journal could be cut undersize and the rule was open.

NHRA got wind of the situation and stated that all large end of rod's must be OEM stock diameter +/- .025. Smart move on their part to limit rediculous undersizing of journals. Did not take far enough and limit amount of undersize perm,itted on journal.

c. Spacer bearings...Fogle torn apart again (Bristol) and found to have correct rods in motor and spacer bearing. Good for Gulius and his creative thinking unlike west coast and kentucky racers who ran the smaller journal rod illegally because they did not know about spacer bearings. (Not OEM - is an argument that is long past so dont start crying again now).

d. Fogle protested again...Now this is interesting. Fogle got money, west coast racer x has money, west coast racer y has money and those who dont will struggle to maintain.

God bless the racers who live race to race and run equipment on shoe string budgets who are in the ball park.

Quote from one of those who can not run with Fogle @ gainesville "We were at minimum weight and couldn't run with him" so implied was "he has to be cheating"

Shame on NHRA for allowing the racers to harrass Fogle.

Shame on Andy...grow up you're 25. If you're going to play then you gotta pay and life sometimes ain't fair. Should of showed them you were legal and then went out and gone 1.40 under and make them really cry...

I wonder if i can borrow fogle's engine.

Shame on the west coast boys and kentucky/ohio players (includes you too NHRA tech man in div 3) and their engine builders. Find out how to build an engine that will run with them and use your resources for something productive.

Petitioning NHRA to allow the smaller rods because you're not legal isnt the answer.

NHRA's response......Give in again?

Lets hear it.
SS Observer is offline   Reply With Quote