HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 689 Times in 183 Posts
Default Re: Car Hauler

My first tow vechicle was a 2007 1500 GMC crew cab 5.3l pulled a 24 ft enclosed no problem. I think even if you went to a 20 ft enclosed with your current pick up you would be fine. The car will be inside, most important if your towing in bad weather.
I had a brand new open trailer last may and sold that for my current 20 ft enclosed
Unless your taking tons of stuff than you need a bigger trailer.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I pulled a 24' enclosed with a '97 Chevy dually and would not consider using a lesser truck. Enclosed is nice, but we really don't need the extra space or storage as the car has a home inside the shop when not racing.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

A 3/4 ton single rear wheel pickup will pull an enclosed trailer with ease and very safely. All you need is a good equalizer hitch and sway control

I have had a 1/2 ton small block suburban and 2 3/4 HD pickups and enclosed trailers behind them all...

I would not even consider a ramp truck or an open trailer unless I raced close to home and only one day races.

I have a GMC Duramax Diesel pickup....lance camper....26' Classic trailer....and it tows like a dream....I have to check once in a while to make sure it is all still back there.....Duramax

I once had a ramp truck...home built back in the day when they were popular...No way I would have one today......Way to limited use
Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #14
HandOverFist
VIP Member

That is my point Rich...it will be limited to only one duty. I like the simplicity of it and we are not likely to travel extensively.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #15
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

The limits of use for a ramp truck depend on how you go about it.

A few years ago my son decided to build a ramp truck. But he wanted it flexible enough to be used for other purposes. So we built it with a flat deck. This allowed us to use it extensively to haul building materials when he did a bunch of remodeling on his house. It was nice going to Lowes or Home Depot and letting them load a bunch of lumber siding, siding, or other heavy building material with a forklift rather than by hand. And yes, it does work very nicely for hauling cars.

The number of people who stopped him in parking lots and complimented him on the truck was nothing short of amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp Truck.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	23174  
Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 177 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Merk View Post
The limits of use for a ramp truck depend on how you go about it.

A few years ago my son decided to build a ramp truck. But he wanted it flexible enough to be used for other purposes. So we built it with a flat deck. This allowed us to use it extensively to haul building materials when he did a bunch of remodeling on his house. It was nice going to Lowes or Home Depot and letting them load a bunch of lumber siding, siding, or other heavy building material with a forklift rather than by hand. And yes, it does work very nicely for hauling cars.

The number of people who stopped him in parking lots and complimented him on the truck was nothing short of amazing.
What fuel Mileage did you get?

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Fuel mileage isnt really an issue in my case as it will see limited use. I am actually looking at a C60 atm vs a 1-ton...would be bullet proof as a hauler with none of the issues of a lesser vehicle. All options are still on the table however.

That dealer with the '90 model hauler called with a price...I think he let it slip they evidently are having problems with DOT using that rig in their area.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 03-18-2014 at 12:14 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #18
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

[QUOTE=Dan Fahey]What fuel Mileage did you get?

Dan,

My son's truck had a 350 and truck 4 speed. I think he got 10-12 miles per gallon. These babies drive like a Caddy going down the road.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 AM   #19
draginmopars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by draginmopars; 05-06-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: ..........
draginmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #20
Danny Ashley

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

Rich:
There's a ramp truck in Muncie, In. Here's how the ad reads: 1988 Chevy 3500 Ramp truck. 139,000 miles. New Gen VI 454, turbo 400, Ac, PW, PI, great interior, 9,000# winch, lots of stainless on outside, rust free. $9,900 OBO. Will take pick-up of equal value on trade. Muncie, In. 765-702-8842. From the pic appears to be an extended cab but might be a crew cab. Can't tell from angle. It's advertised at autorv.com. Click on Browse Issues, then Browse Auto & RV Online, under choose publication click Indiana A Book, and find page 184. You can click the page to enlarge it. Danny
Danny Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote