Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #601
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6130 View Post
As the father of a daughter, I can't begin to tell you how valuable, and how fleeting, this time is. Keep up the good work.
It's amazing how quickly the time goes.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #602
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Weekend update! Got a nice chunk of work time this long weekend. Caltrac bars are in, bled the brakes, did a little more wiring, belts are in, radiator in for the final time, overflow tank, fuel tank is in for the final time, pump is wired and we started with some of the body filler panels.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #603
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Tell me about that four post lift Todd.

Oh yeah...appears they may have it in stock... https://www.morris4x4center.com/gran...olt-wheel.html

Last edited by HandOverFist; 09-04-2018 at 03:47 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #604
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Todd,

Very nice craftsmanship!! Not a trait most people have, nor is it one that everyone is willing to pay for either!

A suggestion and maybe you have not finished it yet. Install a ground strap from the filler on the fuel cell to the cell mounting tab. Not every tech person is going to point it out, but they could. On my car, I have a fuel cell identical to yours and tech asked me to add a ground strap at the filler because it has a gasket between it and the tank. His concern was, we all use plastic fuel jugs, and they can have a static discharge. The rubber gasket could isolate the filler when pouring fuel in and have a higher potential for a static discharge. Sounds like BS, but if it makes my car safer why not.

On an aluminum cell, straps are not needed. The tabs are fine.

What are you doing on wiring the 2 step and line lock?

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #605
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Tell me about that four post lift Todd.

Oh yeah...appears they may have it in stock... https://www.morris4x4center.com/gran...olt-wheel.html
I think the lift was this one... https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ark-8plusp.htm
They have a shipping distribution warehouse close to me so I went and picked it up and no shipping charge.
I'll call today on the quick release, thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #606
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Todd,

Very nice craftsmanship!! Not a trait most people have, nor is it one that everyone is willing to pay for either!

A suggestion and maybe you have not finished it yet. Install a ground strap from the filler on the fuel cell to the cell mounting tab. Not every tech person is going to point it out, but they could. On my car, I have a fuel cell identical to yours and tech asked me to add a ground strap at the filler because it has a gasket between it and the tank. His concern was, we all use plastic fuel jugs, and they can have a static discharge. The rubber gasket could isolate the filler when pouring fuel in and have a higher potential for a static discharge. Sounds like BS, but if it makes my car safer why not.

On an aluminum cell, straps are not needed. The tabs are fine.

What are you doing on wiring the 2 step and line lock?

Sean
Thank you, I do have a ground under the tank. Will it be enough or does it need to run to the top?
The line lock is wired to the button on the shifter and the 2-step is wired thru the clutch pedal.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #607
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

Todd,

My ground strap goes to the top and is a ring terminal under the filler plate with one of the filler plate bolts going through it. Each division has different tech items that they look for, or suggest.
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #608
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Todd,

My ground strap goes to the top and is a ring terminal under the filler plate with one of the filler plate bolts going through it. Each division has different tech items that they look for, or suggest.
Thank you.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #609
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Your picture of the cal-tracks show that you might be violating a rule from the "Traction Bars" section of the stock rules. There is a line that says "Traction bars and/or mounting brackets (to rear axle housing) may not be lower than lowest edge of rear-wheel rim". It might be the perspective of the picture, but it looks like the bottom of the cal-track bar mount and heim extend below the bottom of the wheel. I was warned about this myself a number of years ago on my car by a tech guy and allowed to run but "fix it by next time". It was because of spacers that I had used between the axle perch and spring to adjust the ride height. Probably no one will pay any attention these days, but you never know!

Great build thread.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #610
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Your picture of the cal-tracks show that you might be violating a rule from the "Traction Bars" section of the stock rules. There is a line that says "Traction bars and/or mounting brackets (to rear axle housing) may not be lower than lowest edge of rear-wheel rim". It might be the perspective of the picture, but it looks like the bottom of the cal-track bar mount and heim extend below the bottom of the wheel. I was warned about this myself a number of years ago on my car by a tech guy and allowed to run but "fix it by next time". It was because of spacers that I had used between the axle perch and spring to adjust the ride height. Probably no one will pay any attention these days, but you never know!

Great build thread.
Thank you Bill, it certainly does look as if the lower bracket is indeed below the wheel itself. There's a spacer and a wedge plate under the axle, I could remove the spacer and that would probably rectify the issue. I'll have a good look at it when i'm down there next time.