HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #191
jimi

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Mark,I talked at length with Daryl today. About an hour or so. Gave him a ton of info.Since there is no way that Daryl's car was Charlie Castaldo's second car (possibly Tim Crutchfield's; Palmer Dodge car), it looks like another direction.I sent photo's to you and Daryl. The Black Dart that my father had for a brief period in80' or so, doesn't look to be Daryl's. The Dart my father got, had the rear quarter-panels(factory modified) replaced with standard 68' units. But still the mystery continues.The odd thing, the Dart my father got had the rear-end narrowed for the slicks to fit under the conventional rear fender-wells. Daryl's car had a narrowed rear too. UGH!!More questions than answers.Paul
paul i love the fact that you are trying so hard to figure this out but i was there when my dad and uncle ray brought this car home and you could see where it said charlie castaldo on the car, it also had shadows on the driver side window from where lettering was with a name but i cant remember what it said , i remember the car having a red or maroon paint on it, i also had a customer that lived down the street from my shop in fishkill plains named tony _______? italian, dark hair, receedeing hair line, glasses, 5'8"-9" that was a parts manger at a dodge dealership near peekskill?, he used to help on charlie's car he came and looked at the car and said yes it was definatly the car, the car we had had the stock hemi wheel openings, i wanted that dart so bad for my first race car !!!!!!! i think they sold it to tim for like $6500.00, i have been going through box after box of pictures at my dads house and cannot find any pictures to document what car we had and i know we took plenty of them when the car showed up and after paul pittman painted it white.
jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #192
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Daryl, Check into Chuck McJury's Playmate II. It was an automatic car. Chuck was fromupstate New York (Schenectady area) 30 Minutes west of Albany. Raced atLebanon Valley Drag Strip, which was about an hour east, away from his home base.Lebanon Valley is about 30 minutes, southeast of Albany. NHRA track. Paul
Paul
I talked to Chuck a few times and met him twice. At the Hemi Reunion he was able to drive another Hemi Dart down the track - he said when he pulled 2nd gear the owner, in the passenger seat, about fell out of his seat!. Chuck told me that he ordered an automatic car but when he picked it up they gave him a 4-speed - he said he always raced it as an automatic though. Chuck's car has not surfaced but it is rumored to be still around - stored in a garage - I have gotten this from 2 sources and they both knew specific things about the car that makes me belive that they are not BSing. Dell and I have identified 70+ of the original owners of the 83-4 Hemi Darts that were supposedly built. I know some purists insist that there were only 50 cars made but I have paperwork from Dick Maxwell ordering 30 additional Darts to be built after the initial 50. I am putting together a list of Darts that are missing and crossing out the known 4-speed cars and cars that were changed to 70 models fro P/S (many were) and see what we have left. My guess is that the car was not originally from the NE but I could be wrong. Does anyone have any ties to the Manhatten Speed Shop to find out about the Dart that was run from there? I know of another Dart from PA that was not raced by the original owners and sold to someone in NY - they took a check, it bounced and they repo'ed the car - it had been raced and the engine was blown. This car is currently accounted for but I have wondered if the Manhatten Speed Dart was the same car as it appears that it had only been run for short period of time. Jimi, I hope that you are able to find some pics of the Dart when your Dad bought it - this could help.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #193
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jimi,
I noticed that your Mom? had some pictures posted on the Dover Dragstrip site of Tony Chickory's Dart. If you find any other Dart or Barracuda pics could you post them also?
Thanks,
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #194
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rolik View Post
and also the K/SA 273/235 67 Valiant post sedan of Jeff Seligmann and the late Joe Kenney. Both were taken at the Summernationals in 71.

First time I've ever seen one of these in Stock!

M68
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #195
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Wink Re: Original hemi dart information

Are we sure we don't want to change the name of this thread to;
Mysterys, Myths and Misconceptions..
This thread looks like an Italian Kitchen.
Many hands stirring the wooden spoon in the Pot-Of-Sauce (or as some
say; Gravy).
At least in the end, the Sauce will be perfect.
More to come.
Bill Rodik on your post #171 and Mopar68, what are you doing adding a
nice Jewish-boy like Jeff Seligmann to this thread. Oy vey, we need
some Bagels this morning...
Paul C

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 11-02-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #196
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts

Well, since the Seligmann car was from your general area, I decided to throw it in. Looks like his drag racing career was short-lived!

As far as the "Italian Kitchen" scenario, what better way to stir the sauce a bit more than to add a shot I took of Carmine Rotunda at E-Town at the beginning of the Pro Stock craze. All I can say about the fashion in vogue at that time is "Yipes Stripes".

Bill Rolik

P.S. That is Bobby Yowell with his back to the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1026090005.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1739  
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #197
mopar68
VIP Member

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ceasrine View Post
are we sure we don't want to change the name of this thread to;
mysterys, myths and misconceptions..
This thread looks like an italian kitchen.
Many hands stirring the wooden spoon in the pot-of-sauce (or as some
say; gravy).
At least in the end, the sauce will be perfect.
More to come.
Bill rodik on your post #171 and mopar68, what are you doing adding a
nice jewish-boy like jeff seligmann to this thread. Oy vey, we need
some bagels this morning...
paul c
Paul, I like your sense of humor.

M68
mopar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #198
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

JIMI "V",
Only good intentions here. Just trying to figure out where the 68' Dart
my father had for a brief period ended up. I am trying to back-track all avenues, including the Mystery Mount Kisco car. Can't put my finger on it,
but one of these Dart's may have been at Bill Davitt's shop on Adams Street, Bedford Hills for a short time (75' or 76'). I was there alot during that time picking-up or dropping off cylinder heads (foreign stuff).
I'm really going out-on-a-limb. Can't be sure.
Paul

Last edited by Paul Ceasrine; 11-03-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: add word
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 AM   #199
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Mopar68,
Had to add a little humor, to break-up the monotony.
Bill Rodik, on post #197. Are you sure, that looks like Gregg Allman with the long blonde hair, talking to Sonny, Elvis Pressley's bodyguard.
Thank You, Very Much
Before more Hemi stuff. I forgot to add. Yes, Jeff Selligman. Ran at
Dover, same time as us. Back in 70' or 71' that car ran in J/SA, while we were in K/S with the 273 Cuda. The Valiant was about 120 lbs. lighter,
and ran in one class lower. In 72' it was re-classified to K/SA, we went up to L/S. That photo in (National Dragster) must be from 72'.
Jeff had an speed parts store in Danbury, A & S Performance. Also, liked food, alot of it. Nice guy, very large. If I recall, the car ran around 14.50's or so. Won quite a few trophies at Dover, no competition in that class. Only a 66' Belvedere 383/275HP 2-barrel (12.00 - 12.49 wt/hp
factor). Not too many of those 67' 273/235HP cars made.
PC
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #200
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts

It is definitely Bobby Yowell, and not Allman, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, or Ted Nugent (The Motor City Madman). I have photos of his car from that day (I wonder if he still has those pants hanging in the closet). And I think this may have been the time period when Brooklyn Heavy was involved in various race activities. I had heard a story about a match race at E-Town (as part of the two cars on time trials), with Carmine driving, against another group, winner take all. The rules of the race were "No Rules". Apparently, when both cars were staged, Carmine left before the tree started down. I was told that the interpretation of the "No Rules" meant that there was no need to wait for the green. As far as I know, the loser paid off.

You are right, this has nothing to do with 68 Hemi SS cars, but since I have no more vintage 68 photos to post, I had to "stir the sauce" some more! LOL!

Bill Rolik

1514 SS
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote