HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
gto1080

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1988 454 Tow Vehicle ECU Chip Recomendation

Truck down on power. Going to do a head/cam swap. Need to find a competent chip supplier/designer for my project. 7.4L TBI 454 Turbo 400 Duelly.

Thanks
gto1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #2
Kirk Morgan

Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Default Re: 1988 454 Tow Vehicle ECU Chip Recomendation

I have been thru that before and it needs to go on a chassis dyno to be done right. I would convert to a carb if it is legal in your state. If no you need to keep your advertised duration below 260. I have installed many Comp 260 cams with performer intakes with good results. I would put in a performance timing chain and gear set and advance the can 2 degrees. Than advance the timing 2 to 4 degrees. These mods were for the TBI engines. Also headers will help.

Kirk
Kirk Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
RJ Sledge

Liked 247 Times in 78 Posts

Kirk knows what he is talking about, he is a wealth of information.

I once had a 1988 Truck like yours and it was also down on power, had a cracked intake manifold (too much heat), found out that Edelbrock made a replacement intake for the TBI Combo and it was way cheaper than the GM price. Put a Comp 260 camshaft in it and the Edelbrock intake and it not only ran much better it got a healthy mpg increase. I never did replace the cast iron exhaust manifolds but I did buy a set of the 85-86 Stainless GM factory manifolds just never installed them.

Still have the manifolds if you are interested, complete and $100.00 plus the trip.

Good Luck

RJ Sledge
RJ Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

IF you needing to stay TBI or don't want to switch to a carburetor. I would get a hold of Ed Wright. He is on here a lot as he has a SS car. Not sure if he still does but at one time he did custom chips for older vehicles that did not have the programmable computers that today's vehicles have. If not he probably know who still does them.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
gto1080

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you very much for this advise.
gto1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,031 Times in 270 Posts

Did not see this earlier.

The factory cast iron heads to use are the old closed chamber heads. You will need hardened seats installed, and you can put larger intake valves in, you do not need larger exhaust valves, but you should use good stainless valves. Another option is the Edelbrock small chamber (100cc) oval port. The additional compression is worth massive torque by itself, never mind the increase in flow. You do not need a ton of porting.

Get the Edelbrock oval port intake, you can save money by getting a regular Performer RPM and using the factory adapter under the TBI unit. Or changing to the TransDapt spacer/adapter. Get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

If you can and want to take the TBI off, you'll need a really good Q-Jet, and I'd suggest an MSD distributor, since you can't get good new GM HEI parts.

On the camshaft, I suggest you buy a custom grind (get it nitrdided, big blocks are notoriously hard on camshafts) with Extreme series lobes from Comp, you can step up better that way. I'd suggest around 218-222 on the intake, and 224-228 on the exhaust, on a 112 or 114 lobe separation angle, and advance it 4 degrees, with a real true roller timing set. Another option on the cam would be a custom Lunati with Voodoo lobes. Same specs.

Roller rocker arms and 3/8" x 0.125" wall pushrods will help.

Ed Wright owns FastChip, he can burn you a chip, make sure you get it set up for a 180 degree thermostat and no EGR valve.

I can tell you that 1-3/4" headers and 3" dual exhaust makes a big difference in power, fuel economy, and temperature reduction, both coolant and under hood air.

Yes, I guess this sounds like a race engine. but it isn't. I've done this to 1 ton trucks several times, it really works well.

Hope this was not too late to help.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #7
1legjerry

Liked 59 Times in 9 Posts

Had a 88 dually 454. Biggest improvment i did was new exhaust with high flow cat, performance muffler and 3" pipe.

Hill on the freeway near home, (empty) wouldn't climb it without downshifting into 3(700r4 not original) and would slow down to 40-45. After exhaust it wold climb over in overdrive and never below 60-65.

You could find a 96+ vortec with a roller cam and add your tbi.
1legjerry is offline   Reply With Quote