HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
House of Darts

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Default Old ss racers

Did you race SS before 1968? What size front wheels did you use if if they were factory steels?
House of Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: Old ss racers

I did not actually race myself but did help a friend and his dad who raced a 63 max wedge then a 64 max wedge lightweight. They then raced a 66 street hemi followed by another 63 max wedge lightweight. The time frame was 63 to about 68.

I think the max wedge cars had the stock 14" wheels up front. I am pretty sure the street hemi car had skinny 15" steel wheels that were either NOS from a local Mopar warehouse or from a salvage yard.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #3
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

I remember some used to use the wheel centers from their stock steel wheels and weld them into 15 inch VW rims. Created a very skinny wheel before the aftermarket started making them.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Well lets see; Before 60 just pull the caps off throw out the jack and anything else you might have, install the Atlas Bucrons and race. No Stocks hit the scales. Super Stock hit the scales during tech and then none. Remove the towing hubs unless you drove the race car to the races. If you left early, then you arise from the race car or tow car or under either one of these, find a potty, proceed to other items because you usually drove somewhere the night before. Maybe for food or entertainment. complete exhaust system, glaspaks of course, and it just kept evolving till today. You removed the P/S belt (if you had it-probably didn't) and as we add electric P/S to my car as we speak so I can race and steer the car. Had a little problem with that this year so I got a new shoulder and should be able to steer now without laboring the engine. And the changes continue.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Well lets see; Before 60 just pull the caps off throw out the jack and anything else you might have, install the Atlas Bucrons and race. No Stocks hit the scales. Super Stock hit the scales during tech and then none. Remove the towing hubs unless you drove the race car to the races. If you left early, then you arise from the race car or tow car or under either one of these, find a potty, proceed to other items because you usually drove somewhere the night before. Maybe for food or entertainment. Complete exhaust system, glaspaks of course, and it just kept evolving till today. You removed the P/S belt (if you had it-probably didn't) and as we add electric P/S to my car as we speak so I can race and steer the car. Had a little problem with that this year so I got a new shoulder and should be able to steer now without laboring the engine. And the changes continue.