HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series

Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tom Coonly earns a spot in the IHRA Tournament of Champions

Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series regular wins Pittsburgh Sportsman Nationals

"I never thought this would happen, the car was deadly all day," said Tom Coonly shortly after his win at the IHRA Sportsman Nationals in Pittsburgh, PA this past weekend. Based out of Blasdell, NY, the western New York racer earned himself a spot in IHRA's Tournament of Champions to be held at the World Finals in Rockingham, NC later this year where he will race for a Hot Rod World Championship.

A weekly competitor at Dunn Tire Raceway Park, Tom attributes much of his success to the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series. This local sportsman series provides him the opportunity to hone his skills and be competitive on a national level. " The TNT Series is great. Twelve races this year gives me lots of seat time for Hot Rod," commented Tom.

Joe Boniferro, owner of Joe's Transmission in Niagara Falls, Ontario and the series title sponsor, couldn't be more pleased. "It's awesome that Tom won in Pittsburgh," said Joe. "And now he's going to the Rock with a real chance at a world championship. The TNT Series is putting out solid talent - these guys are competitive at a national level - and this is proof of that."

And although Tom made it look easy as he marched through the field with an average reaction time of .014, it was no simple task. In round one, Tom drew Skip Saddler of Erie, PA. Tom's .003 light / 7.017 ET defeated Skip's .025 / 6.999. Round two was his "lucky round" because the car ran off with a 7.057 but Johnny Cobb of MacClesfield, NC missed the tree cutting a .176 light to Tom's .019 giving the easy win to Tom. This gave him the bye into the quarter-final round where he faced the always tough Greg Fowler of Point Pleasant, WV. Tom had a .007 package, trimming the tree with an .004 and running an almost perfect 7.003 to Greg's .002 red light.

The semi-final round saw 2007 IHRA Hot Rod world champion Damien Hazelton in the other lane. Tom again kills the tree with a .006 light and 7.021 to Damien's uncharacteristic .035 light and 6.997. In the final round, Tom faced Ken Webb of Rocky Mount, NC. Even though Ken had him on the tree .009 to .019, Tom went around him to win by with a .003 seconds margin of victory - that's about 6 inches - running a 7.018 to Ken's 7.031 effort.

"I think some luck rubbed off being parked in between two guys with more round and race wins than I'll ever see (JJ Jablonski and Pete D'Agnolo)," added Tom. "I have to thank to JJ, Pete, Johnny Sokol, Dennis O'Brien. John Cira Jr and even though they weren't there, Jeff Gregoire and Jamie Stoneman." Sponsors on the 1975 Chevy Nova include Phil's Quality Auto, Bison Power Washing, Jason Vitez Race Cars and Gillogly Chevy. "I couldn't do this without their support."

Tom is currently fourth in the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series points chase and with only four races left to determine a champion, Tom hopes his momentum continues. "The car was deadly and hopefully stays like that for the remaining TNT races and the big trip to the Rock," added Tom.

http://www.tntsuperseries.com/press/...-08222009.html