HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 02-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Moroso Trick Springs (Foxbody)

In the rear, you want the lightest springs that will hold the car up. That will allow your shock to control the movement and actually 'do something' when you change the settings.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,420 Times in 1,683 Posts
Wink Re: Thoughts on Moroso Trick Springs (Foxbody)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
In the rear, you want the lightest springs that will hold the car up. That will allow your shock to control the movement and actually 'do something' when you change the settings.
Yes, I'd agree, in an ideal world.
However, we're working in the confines of NHRA Stock Eliminator here.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Yes, I'd agree, in an ideal world.
However, we're working in the confines of NHRA Stock Eliminator here.
So would you both agree that a air bag in the rear spring is a crutch for a poor shock adjustment? Or a shock that doesn't have enough range? Or is it just a travel limiter?
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Mark makes a good point; you can't just adjust the 4-link on that thing so there may be a need to create some other methods to get what you want.

I'm not the guy to ask since my door car has leaf springs and a 4-link dragster doesn't present much of a tuning challenge.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,420 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBrosMav View Post
So would you both agree that a air bag in the rear spring is a crutch for a poor shock adjustment? Or a shock that doesn't have enough range? Or is it just a travel limiter?
How about another "or" ?

That suspension really doesn't offer any separation to plant the tires, seeing that the instant center is somewhere out in front of the grille. Easiest change is to move the upper arm pivot up on the rear end. I made my own deal for the turbo car, but Jegs sells a kits that will accomplish it also. This way , you won't need so much of a pre-load setup.
The diagonal four arm suspension creates all kinds of weird dynamics for drag racing.
The pre-loaded Air Lift bags are just one way to get it somewhat under control.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #26
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

The last time I checked the lightest front springs Moroso had was 217lbs and I have had to cut most every Moroso spring that I've installed which is quite a few. I have successfully used 170lb front springs on two or three stockers with around 1600lb front end weight. Check with Santuff for the correct spring for your application, you will need to know your front end weight. They have 16" and 18" springs, the only 18" springs I've installed were in an early Corvette stocker and they had to be cut.

With the rotation of the drive shaft trying to lift the right rear off the ground and planting the left rear some type device usually has to used on the rear coil spring cars to counter act this problem, an anti roll bar is the most efficient way to do it as you don't have to carry any preload down track after the car has launched.

Just my unsolicited opinion after reading this thread.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #27
BRETV

Liked 596 Times in 147 Posts

On my old Foxbody stocker we had 4cyl cut springs, QA1 adjustable front and rear shocks, An anti sway bar, stock GT rear springs and the pinion angle at 0. At M weight the car would 1.50-1.51 every pass and one year at Indy it went 1.49. Just ask Sullivan LOL and that was a long time ago. Tighter I ran the rear shock the quicker it went. We did have 400lbs of weight in the rear, maybe that helped.

Bret Velde
2003 SS/LA
BRETV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #28
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Ed, what is the logic behind a softer spring in the rear? And how would running a airbag in the rear (we don't as of now) negate or help the softer spring?
I kinda learned it be accident. I needed to get the back of my old '65 Chevelle convert up for tire clearance. Put Station wagon coils in the back, did not hook nearly as well. Too young & dumb to test with them first. Hauled it to a race, to find out the expensive way. I learned longer coils was the correct way to raise it. That right air bag needs the least air that keeps that corner up. Had to run one of those in that '65 Malibu too. Only thing I ever raced with coils on all 4 corners. 7" tire, no prep days. Seems like it was some Rambler springs I found, same dia, but longer, wound from slightly smaller wire raised it an inch, and hooked better than ever.
Had a local salvage with a big crate full of pairs of coil springs tied together, tagged with what they came from. Bring a tape measure and calipers.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 02-01-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #29
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

A lot of good input thank!

One last question on all this stuff. We aren’t havin. Traction issues at all, car never spins 60s are super consistent. We just know we’ve done nothing but shock adjustments over the years. We’re pretty consistently 1.60 at 3000 ft.. DA closer to 5000+ typically. Is any of this worth ET when we aren’t having any issues?
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #30
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
A lot of good input thank!

One last question on all this stuff. We aren’t havin. Traction issues at all, car never spins 60s are super consistent. We just know we’ve done nothing but shock adjustments over the years. We’re pretty consistently 1.60 at 3000 ft.. DA closer to 5000+ typically. Is any of this worth ET when we aren’t having any issues?
If it always dead hooks, I can not imagine it helping, unless it allowed you to run more air in the tires, and still dead hook. That would be a very small gain anyway.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 02-02-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote