HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Leicester, NY?

With Norwalk gone to NHRA, and Mansfield not done, I wonder if it would make sense to bring back the Leicester track on the IHRA Nat. Event schedule? I know the big race ran there some 12 years or so, but was wondering why they pulled the plug there? Seems it's pretty centrally located and pulled racers in from Toronto and Ontario, much of NY and PA, central and northern Ohio, as well as points east. I was there several times watching, and it seemed that car counts were plentiful, and the pits had ample space. i do know that it is an older facility, and had some wear and tear, but seemed to draw many spectators regardless so they must have made money there? The ability to cross over from the spectator side to the pit side was a bit of a pain and the Pro pits seemed tiny compared to other major tracks, but you lived with these problems if you went. Defintely one of the longest shutdown areas too! Any racers here care to comment on running there at the big event, track conditions, fun they had there, or bad experiences? Also, I've wondered with some major companies a few miles north in downtown Rochester, that either track management or IHRA officials lobbied for some help for the track or the event? I think I heard that at one time that this event was one of the largest in ticket sales on the IHRA Nat'l Event tour, so I'm wondering why it's gone?
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Jeremy1374

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Leicester, NY?

Bob Metcalf wouldnt make the neccessary updates, i.e the concrete retaining walls. He wants to suck in as much money as he can and not do a thing to the track. 12 yrs ago he drew car counts in the high 200 to low 300 and now, from what I've heard, can't crack 150. Rumor has it they ran a Q16 race and the drivers solicited donations for the pay out!! Isnt that the track owner/operators job???

In Business First there was an article about a dragstrip being opened in the Angola NY area. That, I am sure, will be run better than NYIRP.
Jeremy1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
raceannouncer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1374 View Post
Bob Metcalf wouldnt make the neccessary updates, i.e the concrete retaining walls. He wants to suck in as much money as he can and not do a thing to the track. 12 yrs ago he drew car counts in the high 200 to low 300 and now, from what I've heard, can't crack 150. Rumor has it they ran a Q16 race and the drivers solicited donations for the pay out!! Isnt that the track owner/operators job???

In Business First there was an article about a dragstrip being opened in the Angola NY area. That, I am sure, will be run better than NYIRP.
Jeez, Jeremy, I know you and your dad quite well and, for the most part, respect you both--but I gotta say you're way off on this one.

OK--"...not do a thing to the track"--your quote. Lets take on that one head on. As you probably already know, I've worked at NYIRP since 1987. Bob & Donna Metcalfe bought the track the year before. In that time there have SO MANY improvements made by these individuals (hey, I've been there, I've seen them) that I'm not sure I can name them all. But here goes:

1. Repaving of the Super Pro Pits
2. Repaving of the return road.
3. Concrete instead of asphalt out to 600' (not there when it was called "Empire Dragway")
4. New concrete burnout pads replaced at least 3 times in the last 10 years alone.
5a. Replaced original Chrondek system the track came with in 1987 with (first) a TSI Super System and then a CompuLink. The CompuLink software has been updated every year since.
5b. When the track first installed the TSI "Super System", the old "W" win lights at the end of the track were replaced by electronic scoreboards which still exist today.
5c. When the CompuLink was installed, the system wiring (from the tower to the finish line) was completely replaced to accomodate the new system. Added later were the "dial-in" boards.
6. Complete replacement of the PA system.
7. Installation of an FM transmitter hooked to the PA to reach the remote areas of the pits.
8. Complete upgrade of the lighting system for the entire track. This included installation of new poles and lights the entire length of the track, the addition of extra lights, replacement of the lights along the return road and conversion of the generator-powered shutdown lighting to "shore" power.
9. Complete rewiring of the track's main power due to vandalism of the building it is located in.
10. Remodeling of the buildings on the "tower side" including the opening of restrooms on that side.
11. Purchase of a new tractor with rotary brush on front and "rubber drag" setup on the back, similar to National Event units. (plus other miscellaneous track maintenance equipment).
12. Speaking of the guard rails, when the Melcalfe's got the track in 1986, the guardrails existed only to the finish line. It was wide open from there to the end of one of the longest shutdowns in the country. Bob & Donna finished the job so the rails went all the way down the track, both sides, to the end.

There are probably more that I haven't named but I believe I have made my point.

Certainly, many fans and drivers alike miss the National Events that were held at the track and, sure, so do I. Yet, no one other than the Metcalfes themselves know how much (or little) money (NET PROFIT, not GROSS) was made from it. You can point to the high car count, decent crowds etc, etc and GUESS how much might have been taken in GROSS. Do any of you know what it COST to put the race on? Does anyone know the EXACT agreement that IHRA and the track negotiated? Anyone know the "split"??? I don't have a clue and I work there.

My take on the decision to drop the National Event is this: the Metcalfes are the ONLY ones who operate the track and make the day-to-day decisions about anything that goes on there--NO ONE ELSE. SO--that means that Bob & Donna Metcalfe are the ONLY ones who get to make decisions about the operation of the track. If they want to run the track ONLY as a local and/or regional track, they alone have to right to do that because they OWN it. The fact that they chose to drop the National Event tells me that the PROFIT was not worth the effort. Yes, the fans, drivers and others who disagree can have an opinion about that but at the end of the day, no one's opinion is valid except the one held by the people who actually own the track.

One final note: I can admit to being a little biased here since I work for the track and I have seen first hand what has happened in the 20+ years I have worked there. No, I don't agree with everything that the owners have or haven't done--but I don't get to make those decisions.

In the interest of total disclosure, I would like to state that both Jeremy and his father are banned from NYIRP. I don't know the reasons why and personally, I don't care to know. I have stated the facts as I know them to be and revealed my bias...too bad Jeremy didn't do the same.

Regardless of anyone's feelings about whether dropping the National Event was a mistake, one FACT cannot be challenged--the Metcalfes have been giving WNY drag racing drivers and fans a decent place to race for 21 years straight. Somehow, they must be doing something RIGHT!

Admittedly biased but still trying to deal in FACT:

Mike Paz, Motorsports Announcer

http://raceannouncer.blog.com

Last edited by raceannouncer; 07-12-2007 at 11:05 PM.
raceannouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Jeremy1374

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to turn this into a pissing match Mike, mainly because I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge of motorsports, not just drag racing, but the improvements that you made mention of have made the track better but they are also neccessary to keep racers coming back. That is your bread and butter.

Yes you are right no one but the Metcalfes know how much money they made or lost on the national event or the divisional that they held.

The issue of the weekly car count was not addressed. Has the car count dropped on Saturday's?

My last point is about me.IN THE INTEREST OF TOTAL DISCLOUSURE I have not been told by Bob Metcalfe that I am "banned" and if he can come up with a GOOD reason I would be glad to hear it.

As far as my father being "banned" that is between he and Bob. For the record the reason he is "banned" is due to a letter he wrote to Bill Bader expressing his displeasure with the Empire Nat'ls not coming back to NYIRP. The letter was published and Bob did not like the fact someone expressed their opinion and subsequently "banned" him from the track. That is a fact!!
Jeremy1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
raceannouncer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1374 View Post
Not to turn this into a pissing match Mike, mainly because I have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge of motorsports, not just drag racing, but the improvements that you made mention of have made the track better but they are also neccessary to keep racers coming back. That is your bread and butter.

Yes you are right no one but the Metcalfes know how much money they made or lost on the national event or the divisional that they held.

The issue of the weekly car count was not addressed. Has the car count dropped on Saturday's?

My last point is about me.IN THE INTEREST OF TOTAL DISCLOUSURE I have not been told by Bob Metcalfe that I am "banned" and if he can come up with a GOOD reason I would be glad to hear it.

As far as my father being "banned" that is between he and Bob. For the record the reason he is "banned" is due to a letter he wrote to Bill Bader expressing his displeasure with the Empire Nat'ls not coming back to NYIRP. The letter was published and Bob did not like the fact someone expressed their opinion and subsequently "banned" him from the track. That is a fact!!

Jeremy:

I won't turn this into a petty argument either. I have come to know and like both you and your father.

But...

Since you insist on a answer about the car counts on Saturday nights, I'll go where you want me to go--they're down. SO WHAT??? I can name you several race facilities around the country that are feeling the pinch of high gas prices, the "graying" of the sport and several other reasons that contribute to lower car counts. You're implying that the lower car counts at NYIRP on Saturdays this season are ONLY because you feel that the Metcalfes don't run the facility the way you want. Convenient for your argument and kinda like kickin' someone when they're down but NOT even close to being fully accurate.

I'm glad you cleared up the reason for the ban. However, as always, there are two sides to every story. Maybe we'll hear the other side sometime...

One final note...one thing you need to remember is that the owner/operator/promoter of a racing facility does NOT NEED a GOOD reason to ban anyone. I have seen it happen not just at NYIRP but at other facilities I have had the privilege to work for.

Hopefully, we can continue to be civil to one another despite the discussion we're having here. I am not trying to start or continue a fight with you.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've been away from the computer several days and just checked this out. Sorry, I didn't want to cause any problems....Just kind of missed the place and wanted to bring the car there once I get it done and hopefully gas prices stabilize....that is if they got the Empire Nat's back. I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the total entries of the past races if not more were within let's say a 5-hour tow of the track, and with everybody watching budgets these days, I thought it might have been a viable option for many racers. Mike, I wasn't there in the 'Empire Dragway' days, but I'm certainly impressed with the improvements you said the Metcalfes have made. And they certainly can run the place any way they set fit...after all it's THEIRS! Wasn't sure that hosting the big Event doesn't mean automatic PROFITS!?!? I do miss the old-time National Event feel the place had when it hosted the Nats compared to the feeling you get at some of the Motorplexes today....and that's not a knock on NYIRP or the Metcalfes'.....believe me! I think I've said too much...I do hope they bring back the Empire Nats. some day! Bye!
ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
raceannouncer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss wannabee View Post
I've been away from the computer several days and just checked this out. Sorry, I didn't want to cause any problems....Just kind of missed the place and wanted to bring the car there once I get it done and hopefully gas prices stabilize....that is if they got the Empire Nat's back. I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the total entries of the past races if not more were within let's say a 5-hour tow of the track, and with everybody watching budgets these days, I thought it might have been a viable option for many racers. Mike, I wasn't there in the 'Empire Dragway' days, but I'm certainly impressed with the improvements you said the Metcalfes have made. And they certainly can run the place any way they set fit...after all it's THEIRS! Wasn't sure that hosting the big Event doesn't mean automatic PROFITS!?!? I do miss the old-time National Event feel the place had when it hosted the Nats compared to the feeling you get at some of the Motorplexes today....and that's not a knock on NYIRP or the Metcalfes'.....believe me! I think I've said too much...I do hope they bring back the Empire Nats. some day! Bye!
Don't let anything I have said prevent you or anyone to voice their opinion here. Heck, nobody misses the event more than I do--I looked forward to it every year it ran. I, too, believe it should have a place on the IHRA schedule. However, I also realize that these things don't just HAPPEN. It takes planning (lots of it), hard work (lots of that too) and MONEY (more and more of that, for sure!). No problems here, I just like to set the record straight when I perceive a misconception or misinformation that I have knowledge and/or experience about.

Having worked at the track as long as I have, I tend to come of as a "Bob & Donna Metcalfe supporter" which, for the most part, I am. However, they have made decisions in the past (and will continue to make them) that might not seem to the rest of us as the "right" ones. But none of us "out here" has ALL the information that they have when those decisions are made...if we did, we might think differently. I'm not saying that I think they do everything "right". However, my opinion and that of everybody else EXCEPT the Metcalfes doesn't count for anything when it comes to running that track. When someone else buys the racetrack and, by doing so, buys the "right" to make the decisions, theirs will become the only thinking that counts.

Again, I would like to point out that they have provided a great place for WNY drivers and teams to race for 21+ years and I personally believe THAT counts for SOMETHING!

Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I want to thank the Metcalfs and IHRA for the 12 years we attended 1990 thru 2001 for hosting my favorite national event each year on my schedule as a fan. I took my whole family on my vacations to Rochester yearly.
1990 mike ashley crossing the center line on his holeshot in pro mod, 12 midnite to 4 am saturday qualifying called for mist in about 92. but that top sportsman shoot out reminded me of the best damn heads up late nite races I ever seen. had to be there to understand.
Now on the last event in 01. I was fortunate enough to meet Bill Bader at the winners circle ceremonies and he invited my girlfriend, neice, and myself to break bread with them from the scorching day at the table they set up, and he gave the hat off his head to my 10 year old neice, and yes she still has it. We spoke and he said his heart was broken that they wouldn't be back in 02. The guard rails were a lil scary for top fuel, remember bobby lagana accident and NO it wasn't caused by the guardrail but a stuck throttle and went off the end of the track. Also the exit for the racers as there was not sufficient room for a mass exudus and something about leaving and crossing the racers path, a dangerous proposition at the very least.
none of this is meant to hurt anyone but a few of my memories. I hope one day for a return, but I do understand the investment involved has got to be tremendous.
thanks again for the GREAT memories NYIRP.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote