HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-13-2023, 12:22 AM   #11
Chip THELEGEND Johnson

Liked 280 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: Spoiled Brats!

I've pretty much raced at all levels including local brackets, local associations, IHRA, NMCA, SUPER CHEVY, and NHRA. The good Lord has blessed me over the years and I've Won my share. That being said there is something about that Wally that keeps us coming back. Every Year I say I'm done. Gonna race local next year and every year my stupid self comes back again, now I do enjoy the National Events. It's like going to a car show but we get to race too and what do we get a WALLY. See yall at the Gators.
Great post Billy
Chip THELEGEND Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:08 AM   #12
Larry Merk

Liked 221 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Let me remind everyone , without NHRA there will be NO local stock/super stock associations. You can’t race stock /superstock without the latest up to date horsepower factors. It will just be a bracket race without heads up runs and even now some local associations have dial ins when two cars in the same class meet in eliminations.
MJ,

We'll all agree that The NHRA rules are the basis for Stock and Super Stock racing. But unless NHRA just drops those classes, association races are a viable alternative.

Everyone on this forum has seen the trends: higher entry fees and lower quotas for national events. What happens next year when the quota drops to 40 and entry fees go up to $400, and the first entry to national events starts at 10 grade points? And then a change to a 30 car quota (we know they can't do math so a 32 car field will not happen)? They have to make room on the schedule for FX cars this year and in the not too distant future electric cars. Tick tock.

The Northwest Class Racer Association put on 3 race weekends in 2022 with 5 races. I talked to every single racer and the universal response I got was "it was the most fun I've had racing in a long time." Association races may not be perfect, but they are a very viable and fun alternative.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:26 AM   #13
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts

When and if the heads-up ever goes away so will we. I want to run all the A/SA and B/SA heads-up. If I win the round I’m happy and if I loose I now have a roadmap on where I need improvement. For me it’s a win win situation.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
When and if the heads-up ever goes away so will we. I want to run all the A/SA and B/SA heads-up. If I win the round I’m happy and if I loose I now have a roadmap on where I need improvement. For me it’s a win win situation.
Just a couple of things there Buddy, if you have a "heads-up" run and both participants aren't taken apart and certified as legal then isn't it just a bracket race anyway? M.J., please take note.

You need a Neon! Lots of room for improvement and you can draw your own roadmap!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!

Last edited by Billy Nees; 01-13-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:03 AM   #15
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,623 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Merk View Post
MJ,

We'll all agree that The NHRA rules are the basis for Stock and Super Stock racing. But unless NHRA just drops those classes, association races are a viable alternative.
Association races may not be perfect, but they are a very viable and fun ualternative.
I totally agree. I applaud your dedication to the NW class racers. My concern is down the road If NHRA does indeed eliminate stock /superstock …
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #16
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

Wally Parks and Walt Disney had much in common, they were genius creative pioneers. and if they were still with us their creations would not be in such a disorder.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:16 AM   #17
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Let me remind everyone , without NHRA there will be NO local stock/super stock associations. You can’t race stock /superstock without the latest up to date horsepower factors. It will just be a bracket race without heads up runs and even now some local associations have dial ins when two cars in the same class meet in eliminations.
I disagree MJ , the Association that I race has heads up runs and they are often the highlight of the race. We could continue to run at todays factors and still have a fantastic time. I don't see any future factoring that would change things, and if there was , the association would simply address the issue. Personally I believe that all these associations should have heads up runs.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #18
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Casey View Post
I disagree MJ , the Association that I race has heads up runs and they are often the highlight of the race. We could continue to run at todays factors and still have a fantastic time. I don't see any future factoring that would change things, and if there was , the association would simply address the issue. Personally I believe that all these associations should have heads up runs.
Dave, without an impartial arbitrator (however arbitrary NHRA is at times it is the authority to which we all submit) wouldn’t a independent association eventually have to rule on “unfair” ratings that will result from heads up runs? Associations potentially playing favorites would lead to their own demise.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:07 AM   #19
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Dave, without an impartial arbitrator (however arbitrary NHRA is at times it is the authority to which we all submit) wouldn’t a independent association eventually have to rule on “unfair” ratings that will result from heads up runs? Associations potentially playing favorites would lead to their own demise.
Jim, NHRA hasn't been in the "impartial arbitrator" business for a long time. Just look at the lack of any kind of Tech.
And yes, I believe that an Association "playing favorites" would lead to it's demise.
If you don't believe that NHRA is "playing favorites" then you must be going to races with your eyes closed!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:46 AM   #20
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,707 Times in 853 Posts

Agree Billy, just saying their authority is absolute however capricious and arbitrary it is. If we want to race with them it’s their ball and court. The Wally quest and the prestige (however fleeting) means we swallow all sorts of crap. An association ruling just doesn’t pack the same weight. If they lose the faith of their customers then the precarious numbers of those racers will shrink.

Great thread title BTW.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked