HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
charlie westcott

Liked 218 Times in 7 Posts
Default One of the greats is gone.

I dont want to be the guy that uses a tragedy as an excuse to talk to a crowd, but I wanted to say a couple things about a man that directly affected my life in a way that only my Dad did otherwise.

Dan Jesel was a man that I looked up to, considered a friend, advisor, sounding board, confidant, and a role model. When he would call me, the first word after "hello" was "Jesel" as if to announce himself. We would sometimes talk about a project, politics, racing, customers, whatever. He was a private guy, that wasnt looking for recognition, or accolades, he just had a target, and whatever that was this time, he would do anything to win. A true racer/problem solver.

We went to his shop in about 05. I got to see what its like to be a legit racing business, and have tried to follow that example. He showed me what was the best, and I have never forgot, or stopped trying to get there.

Another racer once said "If you're a bad ***, you dont need to tell anyone"

People that are actually leaders, dont need a badge, you follow them because you can sense that they are someone you should. Something that is good advice that I learned from working with my dad at a young age, and is there with every succesful business is do what you say you are going to do, and do it well. Nobody wants to hear excuses.

I Thanked Dan this summer for everything he has done for me, I also sent him a text the other night, that I am now sure that he didnt get. I am only using this platform so I can let everyone else know that I was proud to know this great man, and I wouldnt be who I am without meeting him.

cw
charlie westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
1347, 2tone, 340Cuda, 396chevy, 65signet, Adger Smith, Al Wilson, Alan Roehrich, Andrew Hill, Barry Polley, BG56, Bill Bagley, Bill Hahl, Billy Nees, blkjack, Bob F, Bob Wibright, Bobby Fazio, BRETV, Brian Brown, Byron Worner, Carl Juliano, Chad E532, Charles Stewart, Clayton Wright, copperhead, Curt Rees, Dale Hulquist, Dallas Kelly, Dan Bennett, DanBar, Dave Casey, Dave Noll, Dave Siltman, Dennis P Chapman, Denny Steward, DG, Dick Nearhoof, Don Anderson, Don Kennedy, Doug Walker, Dragrac419, dragracerray, Dwight Southerland, Dyno, Ed Carpenter, EddieM, EMMONS BROS., Ernie Neal, FED 387, Fixer, Frito, G money, Gary Bouman, Gary Merrick, Gary Parker, George Fitzpatrick, Glenn Briglio, Greg Barsamian, Greg West, GTX JOHN, Henrys Toy, J.R. Haddad, James Perrone, Jeff Swanson, jeff_kovalik, JeremyDuncan, Jerry Terry, JHeath, JLensch, jmcarter, Joe Martens, kansas stocker, Ken Keir, Kevin Borgstrom, Kevin Panzino, killintime6968, Kris, KThomas, Larry Hill, Lenny5160, lorenr, M120, Mark Callanan, Mark Lewis, Mark Yacavone, MAURICE BLENDHEIM, mfracing, Mike Fuller, Mike Gray, Mike Merk, Mike Pearson, Mike Taylor 3601, mishsc, mnmaxwedge, mopacltd, nickh, novassdude, Oscarf164, Paul Merolla, pmrphil, quickford1, Rich Aman, Rich Biebel, richie 2, Rob Richter, Sean Gaffney, SGSST109E, ss3011, SS3645, SSDA Hemi, SSDiv6, SSGN, stage1scott, steven reynolds, Stewart Way, STK1217, Svendsen, Todd Hoven, Wayne Scraba, wdrevojr38
Old 01-11-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
EMMONS BROS.

Liked 148 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: One of the greats is gone.

Well said, Charlie. Great post.
EMMONS BROS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:34 PM   #3
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

https://www.jesel.com/our-story
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:35 PM   #4
Charles Stewart

Liked 480 Times in 145 Posts

And how about his equal V8 creation that we should not forget...
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-12000-rpm-v8/
Charles Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:25 PM   #5
Tom P

Liked 217 Times in 88 Posts

Great guy for sure. And certainly a legendary drag racing businessman. I see in that story his shop was at Duffy's, So did Jesel actually make the Duffy's FE Ford to Cleveland intake adapter? I'd never seen one, not much Duffy's stuff out west.

One of the interesting bits from that "Our story" page is that Ed Iskenderian sold Dan the rocker extrusions. Hard to believe Isky is still going at 101 while so many of his younger peers aren't around any more.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-11-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
SSDA Hemi

Liked 428 Times in 66 Posts

Rest in Peace Dan. Being local to Jesel was always a pleasure to pick parts up in person and see what Dan was tinkering with or get to speak to him.

I always heard of the story of Danny helping local racers with one-off projects or innovative creations to gain an advantage. Dan helped many racers.... Clearly one of the good ones and my trip to lakewood will never be the same. Godspeed Dan and thanks for all your help......

Very sad day
Old 01-12-2023, 01:19 AM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Great guy for sure. And certainly a legendary drag racing businessman. I see in that story his shop was at Duffy's, So did Jesel actually make the Duffy's FE Ford to Cleveland intake adapter? I'd never seen one, not much Duffy's stuff out west.
No. I don't think so, Tom. That shop behind Duffy's was kinda small. I don't think Danny did anything like that in that time period.
Bob probably sourced them through a Ford racer, knowing him.

RIP, Danny
Old 01-12-2023, 09:00 AM   #8
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

I remember an ad in ND back in the late 70`s (I think) announcing something big was coming from Jesel. I was working in a garage and we were replacing timing chains/ gears all the time. Mostly Pontiacs. Then the new Jesel Belt Drive for SBC appears. A belt instead of a chain? Pretty shocking news then.
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote