HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 08-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #1
4214 Champ-0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Data logging for the .90

Was wondering what data folks are collecting to help with your setup.
4214 Champ-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Data logging for the .90

I use RPM Performance system designed for .90 class racing.
I. Look at (in order of importance)

Driveshaft RPM, motor RPM, throttle position, fuel pressure, voltage, motor temp, trans temp.

I haven't found a use for the G-meter it usually get's disabled when the driver kicks the cable entering or exiting the cockpit.
The throttle position sensor has been temperamental and usually needs to be re-calibrated before each use.
We usually focus on the driveshaft RPM to try to determine if and where the car spins the tires and compare it to the others for that track .
Old 09-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Rawleigh1625

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does throttle position show? On my setup I have a plate stop so my throttle position would be wide open all the time.... what is everyone's favorite brand I'm bouncing between ifamily, racepak and autometer
Rawleigh1625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
HolcombS/G155G

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawleigh1625 View Post
What does throttle position show? On my setup I have a plate stop so my throttle position would be wide open all the time.... what is everyone's favorite brand I'm bouncing between ifamily, racepak and autometer
I don't have data acquisition yet but I do run the I family weather station and would be getting their data logger.
HolcombS/G155G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawleigh1625 View Post
It shows throttle position, besides the in line throttle stop operation it shows when and where the driver lifted if he lifts before the finish line you have to calculate run completion to have any salvageable data.
Or if you hook it to you under the carb stop you would know how long it takes to open and close and if it is working consistently.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 09-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
It shows throttle position, besides the in line throttle stop operation it shows when and where the driver lifted if he lifts before the finish line you have to calculate run completion to have any salvageable data.
Or if you hook it to you under the carb stop you would know how long it takes to open and close and if it is working consistently.
Could you get that info from the engine RPM and accelerometer? I've been playing with a prototype datalogger add-on to the gauge system that my company is working on (will be a low cost unit that comes with a gauge system). I have been able to see pedaling on a crappy track with both the engine RPM and drop in acceleration. Our biggest hassle has been trying to filter the noise of the accelerometer from vehicle vibrations, but I think that will be improved if I solidly mount the unit (it has been mounted with Velcro since we take it out so many times during development).

As I have tried to tune my suspension (shock settings and spring rates) it has really helped to have accelerometer data. I think shock travel data would be really useful too but I need to get one of those linear transducers!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
TCOONLY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

we are selling a data collecting system through DATACLUTCH that will show you engine rpm, driveshaft rpm, how your t stop moves compared to your delay box setting, trans bake, as well as a postion sensor on your t stop it self. it will take out all the guess work out of any problems you may have. I put it on my own 10.90 car and its helped sort out the smallest things that give you grief. contact me direct for more info.
Tom Coonly H/R S/ST 1211
716-316-1950
tcoonly@yahoo.com
Old 10-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #8
nomad

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I changed from the Innovate DL-32 to the Racepak Sportsman recently. As stated before shaft RPM, engine RPM is probably the most important.
I log shaft RPM, engine RPM, O2, oil pressure, oil temp, fuel pressure, water temp, oil temp, trans temp, converter slip, trans brake, the G-meters, trans brake, and manifold vacuum. You don't need ALL that stuff, just the basics, but, I like information.
Given the cost of racing these days I'm beginning to believe that data recorders and dyno testing are no longer optional.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote