HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #51
BWill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bracket Racing vs Class Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
I don't see bracket racers as "performance " incentive .....for the most part they put a car together , or buy it , and let the cars performance take a back seat to perfect lights and dial ins. In other words , whatever it runs is good enough. Just dial it in.
I have a "disdain" for bracket racing.............always have , always will.
If you have such a disdain for bracket racing, how do you stand being at the track with bracket racers?
BWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #52
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
If you are in one of the more populated classes like A,B and C or even G,H and I you might find yourself in it both ways or else you might be in the way!
Neither of the responses answered my question, which type of car setup will carry you the farthest in this racing format?
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #53
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,636 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
Neither of the responses answered my question, which type of car setup will carry you the farthest in this racing format?
Mike
Obviously a small tire car with high horsepower is not a good choice for a bracket car. A dragster or roadster is actually the best choice. Low HP with a big tire is best. A super stock would be a better set up than a stocker chassis wise but the engines are a high RPM with light weight components set up that does not have the longevity needed for every weekend bracket racing. Most successful big dollar bracket races allow the use of a trans brake and delay box. Stockers are not allowed to have a brake in their transmission so it would not be as easy to add a delay box to a stocker as it would be to a super stock car for a big money bracket race.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #54
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
Obviously a small tire car with high horsepower is not a good choice for a bracket car. A dragster or roadster is actually the best choice. Low HP with a big tire is best.
Many bracket racers have discovered that's not necessarily the case, and have switch to a tire like the M/T Pro Bracket Radials. There are guys going mid to high 5's in the 1/8th on a 28x10.5" PBR, both footbraking, and off the transbrake. I switched my car from the 32x14 Stiff bias to the 29.5x10.5 PBR's, and the car is significantly better. They require little burnout, you can't kill the sidewalls like a bias tire, they print tickets like mad, and most folks are getting 300+ runs on a set. Best tire I've ever had, hand down.

Also, a lot of races separate doorcars from dragsters, which levels the playing field somewhat. While dragsters have a visibility advantage, there are plenty of doorcars that will print tickets right with a dragster.

Quote:
A super stock would be a better set up than a stocker chassis wise
Yes, but don't discount a Stocker chassis. A number of bracket racers utilize CalTracs and other Stocker setups with a great deal of success.

Quote:
Stockers are not allowed to have a brake in their transmission so it would not be as easy to add a delay box to a stocker as it would be to a super stock car for a big money bracket race.
While there are certainly more Top Bulb races (too many in some regions), there are also a large number of big money Footbrake and No-Box events throughout the country. There are a lot of options for different people. All depends on what you want to do.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #55
fastlane

Liked 53 Times in 20 Posts

I read all the posts and arguments about brackets vs class racing and a few days ago on post #39 on pg 4 I put down what I thought were all the differences and things that were the same looking for some Info to clear up for me for this season starting to go class racing after years of bracket and .90 racing
I stated my opinion and asked were I was right or wrong. I did not get 1 single reply which surprised me after reading pages of arguments for both and the differences in each, I guess most races don’t like the idea that they are not very different at all.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #56
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleydog View Post
Mike
I believe it does answer the question, some of these maxed out combos are not as consistent as the middle of the road guys. I would prefer the more consistent one myself. Like I said though if you show up at a race with a .50 under A/SA where I've seen 9 or 10 entered, your odds will be slim without some luck and ladder dodging.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #57
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
I read all the posts and arguments about brackets vs class racing and a few days ago on post #39 on pg 4 I put down what I thought were all the differences and things that were the same looking for some Info to clear up for me for this season starting to go class racing after years of bracket and .90 racing
I stated my opinion and asked were I was right or wrong. I did not get 1 single reply which surprised me after reading pages of arguments for both and the differences in each, I guess most races don’t like the idea that they are not very different at all.
Nope not much difference at all, slap one together and come out and play. If you don't like it you can always bracket race it.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #58
Coleydog

Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I believe it does answer the question, some of these maxed out combos are not as consistent as the middle of the road guys. I would prefer the more consistent one myself. Like I said though if you show up at a race with a .50 under A/SA where I've seen 9 or 10 entered, your odds will be slim without some luck and ladder dodging.
I understand what you're saying, but how many of these top class cars show up to every race except Indy? or divisional meets for that matter? Still trying to learn the ins and outs here, how does the ladder dodging work? When I show up I don't want to be dead meat on a stick.
Mike
Coleydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #59
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 749 Times in 361 Posts

"...how does the ladder dodging work?..."

I assume it means you purposely run a slower or quicker qualifying time, to put yourself on the same side of the ladder with the faster guys in your class. That way, some of 'em will get beat before the late rounds, therefore lessening your chances of having a heads up race, with a quicker car.

In the Pro classes, for round 1, I think #1 runs #16, #2 runs #15, #3 runs #14, and so on.

But I've never bothered to see how they set the Stock & SS ladders, at div & National events. So, I too am interested in seeing it explained here.

Last edited by oldskool; 12-06-2017 at 02:42 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #60
curtis reed

Liked 88 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Help me out here to understand the difference, I have been racing my whole life and been around the drags for 55 years. I mostly raced ET and super gas. Thy last time I raced in a stock class was 1966 in a new Nova L79 in A/stock. The way I understand the difference is there is very little difference please correct me where I am wrong. In stock you use how much below your index to set your qualifying position in the brackets you generally use your RT for position (VERY FEW BRACKET RACES LADDER). In both you pick your dial in, it needs to be a number below your index or in ET a number below the minimum (MAXIMUM) for Pro or super/pro. In either you can breakout. It is a handicap start based on each racers dial in. In stock if you race a car in the same class it becomes heads up in ET if you race someone with the same dial it is also heads up but no breakout (BREAKOUT IS STILL IN EFFECT). I understand the difference in builds, one is tightly controlled by rules one is run what you brung. I am planning on running this season in FS/A or FS/AA in a new Copo 350 supercharged which is why I have been reading all I can and I still see very little difference. I must be missing something please set me straight. What are the clear difference in the two that I didn't mention.
From the bracket side.

Curtis
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote