HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts
Default Front coil springs

I'm replacing my Moroso trick front coil springs that have been in my car for WAY too many years. Looking for some recommendations on picking the correct springs or determining spring rates. I'm trying to purchase the correct spring the first time, and don't want to cut them if possible to get the correct ride height. 1967 Camaro RS, all steel factory body, full interior with fold down rear seat, (80 lbs!) steel headed big block, turbo 400, steel roll bar, (not chrome molly) I have my car's four corner weight. Car weighs 3,566 lbs without the driver. It's approximately 2,020 pounds on the front end. I've been told to install springs from 180 lbs to 250 lbs. That's a huge difference when it comes to spring rates. The Moroso springs I removed have a light blue spray painted line down the entire spring. Does any one know where I can find which spring rate goes with that color code? With these Moroso springs, the car was sitting directly on the lower control arm rubber bumpers at ride height. This is obviously WAY too low, as the car bottoms out VERY hard after wheel standing. Asking you Stock and Super Stock guys what you use in a steel headed big block Camaro with a turbo 400. I know the car is heavier than most others in these classes. Thanks for any thoughts.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
Don Anderson

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Talking Re: Front coil springs

Rinehart Performance: Marty @ 717-793-6819
Don Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
SDT1DYI

Liked 394 Times in 124 Posts
Default Re: Front coil springs

Try Landrum Performance Springs.
If you have the correct corner weights of you car, they should be able to tell you best spring rate, (180-220 etc.)
As well they have info on your existing spring if you have the part #.
I have a Camaro SB , with Landrum.
There 180 's. They would be to light for your BB car.
Selecting the proper spring, it's not the cost of the springs, it's the effort to install them. After 4-5 different springs, I'm getting better ( time wise) changing them.
Lol.......

Steve Teeter STK/SS 620.
SDT1DYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
NHRA1926

It's not the time to install them that's the issue. I don't want to have to buy 2-3 different springs and install and remove them and not be able to send them back if they are not the right ones. That's why I'm looking to see which ones are recommended and which ones are used by the big block Camaro people here in this forum. Trying to eliminate the trial.and error method as much as possible.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
NHRA1926

Also, I don't have a part number of the current Moroso springs, that's why I was asking about the color code if it's available. The light blue spray paint down the spring is all I have to go by. Not sure which spring it is, thought maybe someone here would be able to point me in the right direction to find out if the blue paint could identify which specific spring rate these are. That way I don't order the same spring and end up with the same problem.
Liked
Old 01-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,582 Times in 1,279 Posts

Don Anderson gave you the ABSOLUTE best advice ..Marty sells LANDRUM springs, which are head and shoulders better than moroso. Be prepared, you will need front and rear weights.....

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 01-10-2021 at 08:20 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
CMcAllister

Liked 734 Times in 204 Posts

I've never installed a pair of race springs in a Camaro, Chevelle, without having to cut them to get the desired ride height. Regardless the brand. Some a little, some a little more. Should never go more than a full coil or coil and a 1/4 since it affects the spring rate. Yes, that requires them to go in and out a few times to get it right. A good spring compressor helps.

The Landrums have worked better than the Morosos.

Violent up and/or down in the front sounds like the shocks need to be addressed as well.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

I just went through the process with my 3rd gen projects, and it took 5 spring removals to get the ride height I wanted.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #9
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,453 Times in 541 Posts

Talk to Marty at Rineharts and he will sell you the right spring, with the right spring rate and length. Cutting the springs affect the spring rate making then stiffer.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

If the Camaro is like the A-body spring seats, both upper (in the frame) and lower (the A arm) are formed and the end of the spring should seat near the end of the formed cup, with sight holes to help. I have a BB Olds F85 and run Moog/McQuay etc. 5230 with 3/8 coil cut from each end. That gives the correct wire end relations and avoids getting into the part of the spring where the coils start getting far apart, which keeps it from seating level.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked